disturbing report - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default disturbing report

i got an email from a friend who say's he witnessed at least 8 short striped bass being kept by what he described as mexican but not sure but certainly south american. tried to tell them they had to throw back but response was no igles? the 8-10 of them got these fish in a matter of 2 hours and off they went hiding them in napsacks. he had called 911 and told me the police did not even arrive. no camera to get them but i believe these same group came by my area and if i ever caught them rest assured they would not have kept them on my watch no matter how many there ere

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 12:56 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

That stinks man. Best thing to do is go undercover and not even confront them, but get their license plate numbers and call Fish N Game. I know its hard not to say something to them, but it really works better to pretend you dont even see them, but at the same time be calling a Conservation Officer. If you ignore them, you have better chance at them staying longer, and that helps to get the closest Conservation Officer there. Believe me, Brandon, Steve and I busted a group of almost a dozen loser teenagers, and the C.O. wouldnt have even shown up if I hadnt made it clear that these kids were brazen and werent going anywhere. Once F&G knew they had a better chance at a "live bust", they were there almost instantaneously.

"The Knapsack Brigade"

Old 09-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

jb it isn't like that here, there is a 50-50- chance a conv cop will be around in the day and next to never at nite. if you call dec # it is in coney island (far away) and they cannot dispatch someone right away or in some cases at all till the next day. you don't know how many times i have told them "shoulda been here yesterday" as was told poachers were keeping shorts, but i do get a kick out of the ones that get caught and i go out of my way to watch as they get thier cars searched in total disbelief that that can be legally done by dec.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:21 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

LOL, ya, most peeps have no idea that the State Fish & Game has so much power and authority. I love watchin' degenerates get tha bomb dropped on 'em.

Yeah, thats gotta stink because of the larger area ya cant get anyone to the spot quick. The license plate thing will work for that though, atleast you can call something in. When I do it, they always ask if I am willing to appear in court against the scumbags, and I say ofcourse lol

One time I caught this dude from Hampton out in Nudd's Creek poaching on his boat. I called Tim M. and told him I had a kid named Jason (who is several years older than me) and his buddy scoopin up shorts. He came down and watch them himself through binoculars. Caught em red handed. In court, Jason pleaded NOT GUILTY! I was like holy crap, caught red handed and he pleads Not Guilty. LMFAO. Amazing.

Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 AM

First, Have the cell number for DEM in your speed dial.
Second, approach like a googan, ask what kind of fish? WOW! I never saw a Striper before should be the reply.
Act ignorant to laws, Can you keep that many? Whats the minimum size?
What do you use for them? ETC> ETC> ETC>.....................
Walk away. Get out of their site. Hit the speed dial. Tell DEM 1 They speak english, they were made comfortable by your percieved ignorance. 2 They know the laws, they admitted it to a live eye witness.
3 DEM now knows they have a strong bust. They WILL arrive ASAP.
I was given this information by a local fisheries warden and it came in handy several times with our SouthEast Asian buddies.
I helped Bust 11 of them 4 years ago with an aggregate violatin count of 235. When their lawyer found out I had witnessed them speaking English, admitting to knowledge of the regs they changed their pleas to guilty, from not guilty due to ignorance from language barrier. (usually a slap on the wrist) Fines were in 5 grand range after that.
I also recommend getting to know the local Clam Cops on a personal level. I have three of their personal cell phone numbers in my speed dial, and get very fast response. Don't expect special treatment however, I have been torn apart by 2 of them doing their duties as true professionals, No violations, they know me, but they check anyway.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:15 AM

I like that process there Gunny. Definately a good way to slam them b*st*rds.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Hey Paul

I think I saw the same guys at the pier. Bout 5 guys about 25 in age. When I got back to the pier later that day, they were still there without anything in their bags. I thought it was kinda strange. They did come in a construction van. But who knows. By the way, cant ya call the DEC location within Great Kills?

hows it going?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:39 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

okay i guess. no, those are park police, the reason why you see dec there alot is there is easy access to beaches with vehicles and they are ALWAYS there but sometimes i see them and they just cruise by without stopping. don;t let anyone tell you they dont profile (and with good cause may i add) but they seem to zero in on particular denominations if you can imagine what i mean

Old 10-04-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim
but they seem to zero in on particular denominations if you can imagine what i mean
The DEC is the religion police? Now they're after the identities of congregational members? We're not supposed to fish on Sunday? Or saturday?
:)
Old 10-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Pro Staff

Yes Jim. The difference between how the DEC treats Greek Orthodox & Southern Baptists is staggering. Have you never noticed this?? I think it has something to do with the Orthodox robes, or lack thereof. If an Orthodox person is caught misbehaving, they tie a line to him and take off,, the robes becoming, in effect, a parasail. They just dunk the Baptists underwater a few times. :)
Old 10-04-2005, 09:46 AM

Zim Himself is a heathen so he has nothing to worry about.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i can't devil.gif

Old 10-12-2005, 08:11 AM
First Mate

Illegals maybe? INS is now CBP (customs/border protection).
http://www.cbp.gov
or 1-800-BE ALERT to report suspicious activity.

Sounds kinda suspicious to me?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:00 PM

I used to keep this link as my signiture. maybe Ill keep using it. But for now it is in law enforcement forum with politics. etc etc. Its probably not a bad idea to program your state and neighboring state numbers into your cell.
State agencies Poacher hot lines.
Federal wildlife officers association.
Federal wildlife officers association.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:38 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Some foreiners can be a problem. I see them keeping undersized fish sometimes. I dont think some of them care about fines because they dont plan on staying here for ever, they just dont pay it...I was bank fishing the other day and caught a big catfish, and when I threw it back, a foreiner said "no no no". I told him that I would give him the next fish I caught. then I caught a 8" striper, and as I was letting it go, he said "no no no". I told him they had to be over 18". and he acted like he didn,t understand me. I think he thought I wasn,t going to give him any fish, because he moved to another spot when I threw it back