Dirigo on Joppa Flats? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:49 AM
Official Member

Default Dirigo on Joppa Flats?

I see a bunch of guys out there on their fancy fishing kayaks and it gets me to thinking. I have a kayak. A 14 foot Old Town Dirigo. I use it for fresh water fishing. Do you think that this boat would be OK in the flats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Dirigo on Joppa Flats?

Just mind the tides, current, fog, boats, etc. as if they're all out to get you, and make sure you're properly geared up for that type of fishing. That yak is fine for flats fishing,,, just make sure you can handle it and are prepared for the unexpected....
Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Be very careful of the boat traffic there. I have been near swamped there with a boat buzzing by very close.

If you stay on the flats then the current won't be to bad, but there are very big currents and don't go near the mouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

are you nuts? slow down buddy. take this thing slow and steady. never rush into things like this. your number one intention is safety first. perhaps you have a rod and reel to fish off the kayak with>?? focus dude, focus. i don;t ever wanna hear you went out on that thing without a pfd if you do get nuts on me.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
are you nuts? slow down buddy. take this thing slow and steady. never rush into things like this. your number one intention is safety first. perhaps you have a rod and reel to fish off the kayak with>?? focus dude, focus. i don;t ever wanna hear you went out on that thing without a pfd if you do get nuts on me.
Check.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Official Member

Rather than start a whole new thread I thought I'd just dredge up this on from page........one? Is there really that little interest in kayaking for stripers???? Any way, same thread, slightly different question.

For those of you in the know, would you consider the uper parts of the river in the Methuen-Merrimack stretch SAFE to kayak in this time of year and into April or so. I ask because I have had very little interest in kayaking in general until last year BUT have worked in the area in EMS for several years and have gone to many a call about missing/drowning/in the water kayakers/canoeists this time of year. Now, given that we only get called when something went wrong, do those of you who know the area consider it safe for a yak or am I just asking for trouble? There may be thousand of people paddling around out there and I'd never hear about it unless one of them fell off.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:32 AM
First Mate

The Merrimack was frozen, at the Rt 93 bridge, up to a couple weeks ago. That water is cold, and I'd be concerned about ice floating down river. Once the water warms up, I've seen plenty of boats out there, and even a group that trains in their rowing shells.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
Rather than start a whole new thread I thought I'd just dredge up this on from page........one? Is there really that little interest in kayaking for stripers???? Any way, same thread, slightly different question.

have worked in the area in EMS for several years and have gone to many a call about missing/drowning/in the water kayakers/canoeists this time of year
lets see? multiple calls on missing or drownings in canoe/kayaks? and i wanna go out in one anyway?
IF I AM AN EMS TECH AND I COME AND FISH YOU OUT AM I GONNA BE SURPRISED? OH YEA? HE WAS ALWAYS A KNUCKLEHEAD THAT GRUMPY DUDE......listen to what you wrote and tell me if i'm missing something?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
lets see? multiple calls on missing or drownings in canoe/kayaks? and i wanna go out in one anyway?
IF I AM AN EMS TECH AND I COME AND FISH YOU OUT AM I GONNA BE SURPRISED? OH YEA? HE WAS ALWAYS A KNUCKLEHEAD THAT GRUMPY DUDE......listen to what you wrote and tell me if i'm missing something?
Sad to say but that's the nature of our business. We only see the wort outcomes of any given situation. Just like I try to think that not every injured kid was abused by his parents and that not every pregnant girl with abdominal pain is a drug addict carrying a dead baby in her belly, I would like to think that not every one who kayaks on the river this time of year fall in and nearly drowns. However, after asking around I AM inclined to think that some one of my skill level is best not on this part of the river this time of year. Cabin Fever has me BAD this year though!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 PM
First Mate

i would say no.
My friend use to have a fresh water kayak.
he took it out in the bay when it was blowing 20 knots, we wanted to ride some waves on the southeast winds.

anyways it was bout 1 and half foot waves sometime 3 with boat traffic.

long story short it is now sitting in the bottom on the barnegat bay about half a mile behind mantaloking bridge in about 4 feet of water.

It is a great reck for crabs =].

luckly he had 2 of them a fresh water and a ocean one.

Go buy a ocean kayak, they are super super sturdy. i stand up in mine in the ocean while casting big pencil poppers.

also they will never sink. unless ur a dumb ass and drill a whole in it lolololol.

sell that one get like 200 for it than go to west marine and a 11 scrambler for like 800 bucks.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy
would you consider the uper parts of the river in the Methuen-Merrimack stretch SAFE to kayak in this time of year and into April or so.
HypoThermia very quickly if you roll over dude. I hear its not a bad death though. They say you go into shock and the brain slows down to a crawl. Those that survived by miraculously having their blood rewarmed and pumped back in said it was nice and peaceful without all their synaps firing.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

it would only be the way to go if ya had a 50 on the end of your line when they found you but.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:23 PM

Zim wouldnt have any difficulty at all. His brain has already slowed to a crawl. Im cutting off his 50 and claiming its mine but his pet racooon might get mad and eat it first.
lol
Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

go on, cut it off! that's the only way your gonna get a 50.......
my raccoon is smarter than your pet skunk!!!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 PM

and both of them are smarter than you. lol