Finally - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Saltwater Species
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Species Whatever else you're catching or want to catch. Cod / Tuna / Fluke / Blues / Weakfish / Tataug / Sea Bass / Flounder / Shark / Snook / Bonefish / Tarpon / Redfish / Barracuda / Sea Trout / Cobia, etc...

Old 05-25-2008, 12:26 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Finally

Alright guys, if all goes well today I'll be out fishing the San Diego Surf for some Leopard Sharks. I've done tons of research and realized that saltwater fishing in California sucks. Yea they have shark fishing and tuna fishing and good offshore fish......but from the surf they have garbage. Here the average surf set up consists of 12 pound test line. What the heck is that? I've been told numerous times that the biggest fish I'll ever catch out here will not exceed 20 pounds(and that 20 pound fish is equal to an east coast 50 pound Striper....it can happen but not too often). They do have halibut though....but it's nothing like Atlantic halibut....again the halibut over here gets to be around 20 pounds or so from what I've been told.

I bought my set up the other day....a Penn Sargus 5000(traded the previously purchased 6000 in for the smaller version after hearing about the small game fish over here). For a rod I bought a crappy no good $20 Shakespeare "Power Rod"....which will probably break on tonight's outing. One of the Marines I work with is taking me out tonight to show me about some of the leopard shark fishing......I stripped my reel of the 12 pound test I had on and re-spooled with some 50 pound power pro.(12 pound diameter)......I wonder if it's okay to use the heavy power pro on a reel only rated for 12 lb. test......we'll soon find out.

I'm hoping all goes well tonight.....I'm looking to catch whatever I can....and a leopard shark sounds a lot better than the small sea perch they commonly catch out here. The leopard sharks don't even get too big and aren't ferocious like blue's, mako's or the great white......so to me it seems like it's just a larger version of the sand shark.

I'll take pictures if I can and will let everyone know how it goes.....just wanted to post this because I'm really bored right now and I have nothing else to do lol.

-Brian
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2008, 04:28 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Finally

Good Luck Brian hope all goes well

Bryan
Old 05-26-2008, 02:00 AM

Thanks Bryan.....but I had no luck.

Fishing in California is awful. I already hate it. Everything about it is different....

I ended up going by myself and fishing off of some fishing pier which is actually the longest on the west coast and in the entire United States (I believe). http://entertainment.signonsandiego....an-beach-pier/
Let's just say that I was the only person there who wasn't Asian. I'm not being racist or stereotypical.....I'm just saying that of the 100 or so people there I was the only non Asian that I saw except for maybe 5 other people. I have nothing against Asian people, in fact I have some Asian friends back home, and I enjoy the Asian hottie thread on this site. The problem I had was that they didn't even speak English......

Me: "Any luck today?"
Asian person: "kjcbnsjkcbedbkjbvchjdbskcns" <probably telling me to go piss off in another language

I was at a bait store today asking the guy about the fish out here and he almost crapped himself when I showed him a picture of a striped bass I caught (the picture was on my phone). They have Stripers in northern California but they only get to 20lbs or so. The guy had never heard of a fish finder rig and thought it was the greatest invention in the world. The hooks he gave me were 1/0.....I told him how 5/0 is a common hook size back on the east coast and he was amazed. I could tell this guy wasn't a professional fisherman but he did know what he was talking about.....just a lot of the stuff on the east coast is different then out on the west coast.

Anyways I get to the fish pier and I hated it......it was just a crappy environment......guys fishing with 8 different rods out......people leaving trash and old bait everywhere.......using glow sticks as "bobbers"(which apparently float).......guys letting their kids run around crazy while other people are trying to fish......

Anyways from now on I'll be doing my fishing from jetties and the surf. One of the biggest things I miss is the camaraderie.....out here people just seem rude in general and it's just a completely different fishing environment.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 AM

I have Nothing against Ca. but it is really another world compared to the east Coast.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

lol, I guess we do what we do 'cause it's in our blood. Others just fish.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:03 AM

I'd have to say that today was my first real day fishing the saltwater here in California...I caught a "guitar fish" (I forget the real name...but that's the nick name) which is nothing more than a West coast version of the skate. My friend caught some type of "bass" which I have no clue what it really is.... also we saw tons of fish jumping out of the water but didn't really have anything to catch them with. I did have my sabiki rig but wasn't sure if it would be effective from the surf.......I believe they were mackeral but I'm not 100% positive as I've never seen mackerel jump so far out of the water before.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Pro Staff

Interesting,,, looks like a cross between a skate and a dogfish.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:44 AM

Spotted sand bass??
Old 06-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Just wondering what's the best way to catch mackerel from the surf. I saw some jumping the other day and wasn't sure if my sabiki rig was any good from the shore....will macks hit any other type of lures like small plugs or maybe a kastmaster?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 PM

Fishing from the piers is a lot odd! The best bet is to beg some sardines from the resident pier dwellers and pitch them out on a 1/0 hook and wait for a halibut...The jetties are great spots for calico and sand bass..as well as halibut..I know how you feel i was stationed out west for over 18 years! I learned quickly how to cast "irons" with a conventional rod...Most of the fishing is from "head boats"..You'll learn to love it and hate it at the same time! Surf fishing is almost non existent! Macks will eat your sabiki just put a wieght on the end and bounce it off the bottom back to the beach..1/2 day trips are cheap and fun...do not join the "pot" you will loose no matter what..I was a "dead head"...people that ride for free and always win the pot and it goes right to the crew...Yellow tail and cudas will change your life..I promise..Now I have the reverse problem...can't work a spin rig to save my life now that i'm out and finally home in RI..I still love tossing the iron on my Penn 975 and calstar rod..stripers seem to like the iron also...Good luck
Old 06-29-2008, 11:47 PM

Oh that fish with the stripes is a sand bass..Great eating...Salt pepper and a pan ...Fish tacos rule
Old 06-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

guitarfish? it is my favorite jake! i thought you;d have picked up on the dogfish./skate aspect of it. omfg! if i were there and caught that i would jump from a building!

(sorry brian, i have issues with these things)

Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 AM

yeha another california person haha well dude if u want stripers go to lake silverwood or hit up the aqueduct or lake perris and the deltas. yeah i never been surf fishing before so i heard yo-Zuri line 15#lb will do great out there with a carolina rigging. However, i heard power pro line is overkill. Yeah well welcome and go to newport or hermosa beach for surf fishing people always catch big rays and sharks.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone.....

And Zimno when I caught that thing I was like "WTF!"

What is worse than catching a skate or dogfish? Catching both at the same time. Hopefully I don't catch any more of those anytime soon....I was hoping my first fish from the surf out here would have been a bass or leopard shark......not a "skateshark" Hopefully that doesn't mean bad luck for me...
Old 07-06-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Interesting,,, looks like a cross between a skate and a dogfish.
If i was playing word asociation i would have said ZIMNO1