big bait = big fish? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 AM

Default big bait = big fish?

I would like to know people's thoughts on the big bait catches the biggest fish theory. Is it that the big bait is too big for some of the smaller fish, and therefore, the only bites will be from whopper stripers? Or do the cows not even waste energy on small bait? I ask because most of my plugs, sluggos, swimmers, etc. are 4-6 inches. Am I destined to catch only schoolies all season with this size lure? Now a question for you all: What was the biggest striper you caught on the smallest lure? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Re: big bait = big fish?

Ok i have caught 25 # fish on 5 inch shads and bigger fish on 2 oz Bucktails.

But i have also caught 12 lb fish on 9 inch shads

mike
Old 04-11-2008, 12:07 PM

I just saw two 30lb stripers caught on 5" wild eye shads in 6' of water yesterday on my boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Fly fishin' geek

I have always understood it like this, And I dont know how accurate I really am:

Stripers school by size, this means that during migration, feeding and traveling that their cruise speed is relatively equal.

Fish will hit what they see in the water... and as far a I know Pogies, Macks, alewives, and other forage school by size as well.

So to catch a 25# on a 2" might just mean you found a 20-30# school chasing small herring or shad. and Vise versa.

The hitch comes in where they rest a little before heading up rivers to spawn, which can mean that schools intermingle. So the big fat boys try to expend less energy for a meal, so they stay low and quiet, picking up the leftovers from the rambunctious kids up above.

Maybe your jig sank faster than the big natural bait to get down to where the fat hogs were holding position?

As far as I'm concerned at this point, a fish is a fish. I won't be able to lay eyes on a striper until mid-late May... lucky sumbagun!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Good Point Sprattoo...

The one thing that also needs to be taken into consideration is the fact that for every one spawning female there is normally seven males around her.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:05 PM

I do believe in big bait = big fish . I also believe that match the hatch is more important than anything ....

Right now i have been killing the schoolies on a Sand Eel Buck , later it will be white the yeloo/ gold ......

Mike
Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 PM

Thanks for all your input everybody. I've got some 7" fake eels and some 5" fin-s that I'll be throwing into the surf early on this year. I think this is a good play based on advice I've gathered from more seasoned anglers. I'll (if I can help it) wait for the fall migration before I start spending more dough on a bunch of big boy plugs.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Absolutly, I've talked this subject untill i'm blue in the face...it's all about caloric intake, risk versus reward, energy spent for the calories obtained........ on ocasion you might get a smaller fish on a big bait, or vise versa.. but if you want to consistanly catch big fish... big bait is a MUST.....