704 or 706 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:30 PM

Default 704 or 706

probably should have posted in the tackle forum but it is a surfcasting issue-------anyways here it goes

what would you guys go for for the fall run from the surf--i was checkin them out today in the local baitshop----no bail on the 706 ---i see how this can be a huge advantage as far as bail closing and losing tackle----but ive never fished "bailless"---is there a big getting used to transition??

also what kind of stick would match one of these up with---looking for somethin kinda all purpose but mostly for pluggin----kinda lookin for a "go-to" set- up----
one last thing---what line would you reccomend (are these braid friendy)
l

thanks in advance any and all responses are appreciated-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 PM

How long of a rod are you looking for? If it's 9' I'd go 704, 10' and over the 706. My favorite all around plugging rig is a Lamiglas XS 101 MS with a 706 and 20# Fireline. You can throw anything from plastic minnows to big heavy pencil poppers. I use mine everywhere from inlets and open sand beaches to swimming to rocks in Montauk (you'll need to pack the reel with grease for this).

The 704 can be converted to bailess very easily with a $12 manual pickup kit.

Both reels seem to prefer Fireline and most guys I know are using 20#, some that need much longer casts go to 14#. Either way the true breaking strength is close to double the listed rating so you're well within a safe plugging range.

If you keep the wire on the 704 you'll need to make a small modification to make it absolutely braid friendly. As it is the bail doesn't flip over by hand, you have to turn the handle to snap it over. This can catch a loop of braid that will lie unnoticed over top of the spool as you reel line in over it. Next cast = big knot. To convert the 704 to a manual bail (different then a manual pickup - manual bail means you can flip the wire over by hand) you will use the washer with the two little fingers that comes in the manual pickup kit. Remove the bail, remove both springs (you won't need em anymore) and place the washer under the bail holding the little bar down (this will make more sense when you look at it) replace the screws and you're good to go.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:48 PM

And the transition to fishing bailess should take an hour at most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 04:09 PM

thanks i think im gonna give the 706 a shot
i was leaning toward a lami---i think its gonna be a go