Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

power pro or something else?

Tags
power pro
3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Jimmy Z 
#1 ·
cant decide what braid or pound test to use on a vs 250. i fish from the beach and jettys mostly . i was thinking 30# or 50 what do u guys think?

#6 ·
A lot of guys I know use #20 Fireline on their VS 250 and 300's
A few are playing with 30# Superbraid.

If you can find a spool I'd recommend the new 30# Ande Braid, my new favorite.

#7 ·
30 # pp works great for me...casts a maile...just be careful on retrieve if you are working a popper or a bomber that you do not get a loop in on the reel-up...often times this is what people call wind knots, but they are actually cause by a jerk-jerk-jerk while realing leaving a little loop on the reel as you wind....also, need to have good backing on the reel so it doesn't cut in and totally bury itself in the fight.......

#8 ·
I know it's not an issue with the VS reels, but those with skirted spools should also consider how well the reel itself lays the line onto the spool. A nice even line lay makes things a whole lot more tolerable when your doing a lot of casting.
Here is a pic of a Daiwa skirted spool that lays the line onto the spool better than most of the other similar types regardless of cost.

#10 ·
I prefer 30# Fireline. Some like the 20#, I don't. The 30# is the dia. of 12# mono, and plenty strong. I fish the rocks in RI, and you need a stronger line.
I also use Spiderwire Stealth, 50# test. This, IMO, is a very good choice.:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.