Just starting out - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Official Member

Default Just starting out

Hey guys,
I got the saltwater bug. I have done some flyfishing on some lakes, but nothing really heavy. I understand the concepts and can cast well. I was just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for a starting rod in the salt water. I don't wanna really spend to much, only based on the fact that it is salt water, and I am a little on the rougher side with my gear. Also, line? I don't think Spey is for me. I was thinking a 9wt? I'm mainly going to be doing surf/jetty fishing with it all, and occasionally(maybe once or twice) a charter. I have been reading a lot, but theres nothing like local suggestions. You guys know what works best, so lay it on me.

Thanks guys. (By the way, thanks to this site I caught my first surf keeper yesterday) :D
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Just starting out

I'd go 8-9wt. for the rod, then get a supplimental multi tip or shooting head system you'll get a running line and four tips/heads, floating, sinking tip, and a slow, intermediate, and fast sinking one. ($139-149) That will give you a lot of flexibility without forking out a lot of cash. A regular quality fly line is from $29-45 dollars. You can also just get a running line and one or two tips for less.

As far as rods, try and get the least expensive guaranteed rod you can find if you want to be frugal, they are great if you are rough on them if you break it send it in and you'll get a new repalcement with no problem.

A lot of manufacturers do sell outfits, rod reel line combo's with the warentees. I'm an Orvis guide (not trying to push Orvis on you but I have the info handy right here in a catalog) a Clearwater II rod 8wt. 2 piece rod is $150 the outfit is $295 with a 25 year gaurantee on the rod and a good reel repair service if you need it. The 4 piece rod is $199 the outfit is $335 the 9wt. 4 piece rod is the same rod is $199 the outfit $335.

A tip flex rod is better for a lot of windy conditions but not as user friendly.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 AM

As a cheap beginner set the Redington Crosswater kit, rod, reel and line for $99 is not bad at all. I picked up the 10wt a few years ago not knowing if fly fishing the salt was something I was going to want to do. Ended up fishing it for 3 years.

The rod is great but is happier with an 11wt line on it
The guides are not very saltwater friendly though, the frames on the stripper guides on mine turned green pretty quickly (I never rinse my stuff though). I doesn't affect the performance but could look better.
The reel is graphite but does the job and has a better drag then you'd expect out of a plastic reel..
The line that come with it is trash, straight to the garbage can.

I've upgraded all my gear in the past two years but I like the rod so much that I'm going to rebuild it with better guides and upgraded cork.

If you're looking for something inexpensive just to see if salt water fly fishing is something you might want to get into, it's a good choice.
I just looked at Cabellas and they have them in 8 and 9 weights. I'd go with the 9 and put a 10 wt intermediate WF line on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Official Member

onDriver and Sudsy, thanks for the advice. I'll read up as much as I can and see what I find. I figure if I like it, then I'll end up investing in some higher-quality gear. Hell I'm still getting my feet wet with the whole plugging scene still. Thanks suds for that help a few weeks ago, thanks to you I got a few good 'uns and I thought of you when I was unhookin my first one. You the man.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 AM

Been a tough morning and I needed a smile.
Thanks