Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

leader suggestion any help.

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
Looking for a little advice, I run 50# braid off my baitcaster's and would like to know what I should use as leader from braid to the bait/lure depending on what I am using. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I plan to run Koppers LiveTarget Blue Back Herring lure behind it or live bait also. These dang lures cost a bunch and would like to use whatever is best. I have a variety of the lures size 3.5 to 5.5 inch . The live bait I will be using are white perch from 5-9 inches.

Thanks in advance..
Bill

#4 ·
If your live bait fishing i would shorten the leader to a castable length with a swivel. If your pitchin those lures with baitcaster? a leader with the same dia as the 50# braid (yo-zuri 20 or 30). This fluoro line tied to the braid ala alberto or slim beauty knot will pass thru your guides more seamlessly. Get some pliobond or better yet (Loon Knot Sense "UV" this is the light cure one you apply and sunlight cures it in seconds) it finishes the knot off nicely but is just a prefference and not necessary. Thirty# braid should work fine but to each his own. You may get by with a longer leader ( at least long enough to wind on the spool when a fish is close to hand. But the stiffer nature of the beast with light lures in cold weather can SOMETIMES be an issue. However, wary fish may warrant a longer leader with lure presentation so i'm willing to go with the longer leader. The stuff is expensive. I'd give the yo-zuri hybrid fishing line a try first as it is less expensive and is better with line twist than traditional fluoro anyway. If you feel or see fish are refusing then tie on the fluorocarbon. What baitcaster are you using btw? Those jointed lures are sick. they should incorporate the scale colors on em like the tsunami sashimi. Don't forget to post what you've caught on them son.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.