My striper adventure or...I must be crazy... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Striper Hunter

Default My striper adventure or...I must be crazy...

I live in Ohio. Three weeks ago (I can only talk about it now) I set off on my own mini striper adventure. Left Sat at 6:00 am for Fairfield, CT to hook up w/ buddy Rick (w/ boat) to fish the LIS for a couple of days. Arrived at 2:00 pm and on the boat at 4:00...ahhhh...back in the salt hunting stripah. Got off the GD boat at 4:00 am...yes 12 hours later after an 8 hour drive...I'm 54 and way too old for this [email protected]!!! About 2 am we were soaking bunker chunks at the fingers in 50 feet of water...nothing and I mean nothing. Decided that was enough and started bringing the lines in. Whan I grabbed mine it didn't move (shimano 3500 w/ 30 lb. braid)..hauled hard and it ran about 10 feet. Worked it (didn't horse it) and it ran another 20 feet. Did my best to get it off the bottom so it wouldn't wrap me...no such luck....after about 10 minutes....PING! Okay, probably some big ass skate...but to me, just maybe a big fat lazy cow (its good for my sanity).
Total take day one...5 yellow eyed bastard blues.
Day 2....out by 2 pm...snagged bunker (I should have been on a bunker trip) and had nothing to show but a couple of blues in 4 hours. I really hate to admit it here but at some point I put on a wire leader and the biggest shiniest plug in my bag and tried (sorry) to catch blues...sanity was truely slipping away quickly.
Total take day two...3 blues.
Enough of CT I'm heading south. Did some actual business for a couple of days and met up w/ another striper fanatic (w/ boat) in Ocean City, NJ. This guy knows how to fish...I'm pumped. He does most of his fishing off a wave runner in the inlets and sand bars...keeps a log of every trip...you know the type.
He doesn't want to go at night so we rise at 4 am and leave the dock at 5. We snag bunker (when's the next bunker tourny???) and fish the inlets where there are "plenty" of stripers...6 hours later.....nothing. Except for one lousy blue.
I had to be in Cape May by 2:00 pm to catch the ferry to Lewes, DE...meeting my wife there and spending some time on the beach w/ friends...I slept in my car the whole way.
My friends place is on the bay...actually, 20 feet from the bay. I'm looking out on the water and see bait fish breaking the surface all over the place. Hey, I've got my gear...buddy has a yak...lets go fishing!!! Out at 6 am next morning...just for yuks...all the sudden tap,tap,tap.......biggest damn crab I've ever seen. But I hooked that sob good!!!...had to slam it on the rocks (thats catch and release right???).
That night I got good and drunk.
Thats it...9 blue fish and 1 big ass crab...1,390 miles...needless to say the 8 hour ride back to Ohio w/ the wife was a bit chilly.
Tight lines to you all...I know you've been there,
-Pete
ps...I'm heading to Maine in a couple of weeks for vaca...gonna hit the Kenne and Sheepscot hard...can't wait....it'll be like catching my very first striper all over again...I feel better already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 02:51 PM
LunkerSpunker

Default Re: My striper adventure or...I must be crazy...

Good story Barn444, blues make for some tight lines. Better luck next time on the bass though. You gotta teach me how to drive and sleep btw, would come in so handy.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Official Member

Driving and sleeping is like working and sleeping. It comes with practice.

Barn, sounds like you had a great trip! No crap weather, no meltdowns, and you caught some blue's. Sounds productive to me. Next time the stripers will be there.
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 AM

hey barn where you headed in maine. i live in the very southern tip of maine right on the new hampshire border in york.

better luck when you come out here fishin has been pretty good work is only allowing me to go out after 330 so its a battle with the tides but friday afternoon got a 38" hardly out of the marina so best of luck!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Striper Hunter

thanks for the good luck MM...been going to Boothbay Harbor area (Southport Island) for 30 years every August...back in my mid 20's my parents convinced me to try it. I asked how the beaches were...they said there aren't any...just big rocks. I grudgingly went anyway...I haven't missed an August since...got to love Maine.
-barn
Old 07-16-2008, 09:53 AM

well we have a few beaches down by me that are nice but sadly enough after living here my whole 23 years on this earth i havent gone to the beach actually in like 5-8 years.

while your up in boothbay harbor if ya dont catch any stripers you can always go to the maine state aquarium and see a couple stripers there haha. my fiance works there taking care of all the little fishys. coolest thing there though is the 23 pound lobstah. well good luck anyways if you go fishin. and if you see a black GMC duramax with a loud exhaust jk flag me down im up there every weekend
Old 07-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Lunker

Barn444 ,I do the same as you in reverse come the first of November,We leave here in VT head for SE Ohio,sit in a tree from dawn to dusk ,7 days, drive home 13hours ,then back 2 weeks later to do it all over again.I have a place in Maine and the fishing has been so slow there I would be happy with a blue fish.Good luck in August.VT