Update to "Pouring Soft Plastics". - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Update to "Pouring Soft Plastics".

Just wanted to give everyone an update to last weeks post.
I ordered the Lee 24oz. pot, a gallon of plastic, one mold, some color, and a couple of accs., from Lurecraft. Total cost was just under $150. I set the pot on a baking pan, on top of the stove, under the vent hood, unhooked the smoke detector (didn't forget to plug it back in), turned the exhaust fan on, and got down to buisness. I had no problem mixing the color into the plastic, and it took about 25 minutes to come up to temperature, making sure to stir frequently. The plastic poured well, and after a couple of pours, I knew just how far to fill the mold. After letting the mold cool for 4 minutes, I easily worked the lure out of the mold, laying them out on a paper plate. They look exactly like the ones I was paying 39 cents a piece for, and they only cost 10 cents a piece to make. Took about 2 hours to make 3 dozen, but there was alot of down time waiting for the mold to cool. I'm going to order 5 more molds, so that I can make the most of production time. Take that Boaters World !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Update to "Pouring Soft Plastics".

Nice Job. Im going to get into pouring some plastic. I think it is better for me then pouring lead.

I need all the extra money I can get for lead jigs.

The Canal likes to steal them.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:28 PM
First Mate

Very nice, its always good to save a little green... Also, WELCOME TO THE SITE, BOTH OF YOU.

Bryan
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 09:22 PM

I ordered 4 more molds from Lurecraft, on Monday morning. During my conversation with Lurecraft Rep. Kim Straley, she was kind enough to remind me, that I can recycle my used soft plastics to save even more money. So now, I figure, I can pour my own for a few pennies a piece. I can use the money I'm saving on lures, to pay for the gas it takes to get to the fishin' hole (Take that Exxon !). Best Wishes to all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1018A.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	4993  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Give them a little nudge north dyno will ya.

Welcome guys.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you really oughta look into making your own signature molds. were you using plastisol or the cheap stuff>? if you make a clay model and then make a mold out of plaster around it you can make dozens of nice long eely shads that impart a great action. unlike storms or bass assasins you want a loooong one that you can rig yourself. i wish i had the wherewithall to do all the things i would like in the creative dept.