2019 STRIPER REPORTs - Page 10 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 07:20 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: 2019 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
The spawn is in full swing as is the bite. We hit the water again Sat am (5/18) and stayed until Sun evening. There was widespread spawning from Hyde Park to Newburgh. Sat we fished South of Rogers Point and ended up with 48 fish from 7am to 3pm with the best bite being Ebb tide but they did aggressively feed on both tides. We spent the night on the water and fished from Marlboro to Poughkeepsie. There were very few fish and we did not get any. Around midnight was the first time for the season I saw some schools on the West bank which is probably the first arrivals who are spawned out and going back. Sunday we ran right up to Rogers and fished above to black creek. The bite was absolutely on fire. We got 66 fish from 7am to noon then the wind kicked up and shut the bite down. This was done from Slack into Flood tide. We did go to IBM and managed one nice fat 29 incher. The full moon has sparked the spawn and bite. After this year's info I'm not so convinced that these fish are temp dependent and may be more calendar oriented on where to spawn. Water temps started around 55 degrees and ended at 69 degrees.
Possible angle of the sun -hours of daylight yearly is more common then water temp .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 09:05 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the posts doc Z.

Fished the evening hours over the weekend. Seems quiet. I am docked at a striper season only section of a marina. All the boats have been parked. Not sure if these guys aren't fishing at all, or are elsewhere on shore.

Im guessing their progress has slowed this year due to all the rain.

Going to try to fish the shore Wednesday night, possibly Thursday too. Finding public shoreside access can be rough. Seems like worth a try though.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Striper Hunter

After getting a late start to the season for family reasons, I finally broke the 40" mark with a 42" / 31 lb fish just North of the rock plant in Marlboro Friday evening..always seem to catch my biggest ones when I am out alone.

Saturday out with the GF all afternoon till dark, beautiful day out there, largest was 32" / 13 lb, then Sunday out with old college friends. Caught a few, nothing large but a 29" male really did a job on my boat releasing his goods. Also saw a huge snapping turtle swimming around out there...very cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42 in 31 lbs - 5-17-2019.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	35840   Click image for larger version

Name:	32 in 13 lbs - 5-18-2019.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	35842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Me and M - 5-18-2019.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	35844   Click image for larger version

Name:	29 in 9 lbs - 5-19-2019.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	35846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Striper Jizz - 5-19-2019.JPG
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	35848  

Name:	turtle - 5-19-2019.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	35850  
Old 05-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Any action around Albany today?
Old 05-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Official Member

I've been fishing Albany for about 2 weeks, 3 days per week, absolutely nothing. Chunk, Live, etc. I don't go very far but all the boats I passed were doing about the same as I was.

Saturday 5/18 things turned around.. using the same tackle and fishing same spots.. I slammed a couple early, had a few run/drops, and then got a nice 30'' on the ebb later in the day. All on live herring. I saw multiple boats doing about the same as I did.. but still some boats with nothing.

From my limited perspective the bite seems to have finally turned on up here. Going to take a few days off work this week to try and get a couple more before they head south.

I included a pic from my fish finder.. didnt see this everywhere but where I did I got some hits.. would you guys say these are stripers?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190518_093537[1].jpg
Views:	22
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	35852  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Official Member

Down by Henry Hudson was slow. Herring took a while to jog but managed to get a couple to get me going. Had a couple quick strikes managed to land this 30”. One other run but was not quick enough
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E740D20-B244-4CB7-9C6C-032D2E67B245_1558380958894.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	35854  
Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 PM
Striper Hunter

Drifted sands and chunk with a friend out of Kingston on Sunday, one small striper each. Slow.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:35 PM
Striper Hunter

We went out Saturday morning to Newburgh and had a great time while the fish were starting their spawning. Right off the bat we got a record (striper) for our boat at 22lbs. It was my Dad's first Hudson fish. We gave her the nickname "Boga Betty" after what happened at the release. Let's just say this, there is a reward of $124.99 of 316 stainless steel for finding her again! Hopefully she bumps that thing off soon or some fiesty males help her out.

I also got a new personal record light tackle fish at 7lbs with a nice aggressive male landed on a bucktail and light Abu Garcia Vendetta rod.

We ended with 7 for the morning and the bite shut off hard about 10:30AM when the sun got up and the jet ski's started cranking. Shouldn't have started with the old sandworms instead of our fresh bloodworms. Once we switched up they started biting again.

We had 3 boxes of bloods left for Sunday but we had plans in the morning and it was hot, sunny and windy. If anyone wants them by Nyack area I'll give you a good discount! They are still on ice in a big cooler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190520_223809.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	35858  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:47 PM
Senior Member Elite

The bite is on fire north of Poughkeepsie.....we fished 7am to 9pm today and smoked em........67 for the day up to 32". We probably could have hit 100 were it not for those crappy circle hooks......the fish were slamming the bait so fast the circle hooks were hooking them in the soft part of the outer lip....so we would fight a fish and the hook would pull out of the skin...well......when I realized what was going on I changed to 4-0 octopus hooks and we never missed a hookup or lost a fish afterwards. The schools up north of Poughkeepsie are insane. The bite was best in the morning from first light but continued steadily all day on both tides....then lit up again at dusk. The water temp went up to 60 and there was plenty of spawning. The channel floor and flats were littered with fat cows waiting to spawn and the males were the primary foraging fish in the strike zone which changed throughout the day......it started at 14' then went to 22-25 ft then back to 19'. Remember ......don't forget those fish on the channel floor are not feeding and rarely bite so look for what zone in the 15-25' range the fish are running and target them.......FYI......chartreuse leader is key right now......we tested this several times and our one pole with this hit 8 times with zilch on the standard mono and fluoro.....as we switched the others over it drastically imoroved the hit rate. Also, run a small spinner above the bait with chartreuse beads......makes a HUGE difference as does rattle sinkers. We are still on the boat and will leave dock before first light to clean up again. Please do not target the females lying on the floor in the flats...they are staging to spawn so let them do their thing and produce more striper for years to come. Also be carefull when motoring through the channel.....watch for the spawning boils and try not to run them over. Remember they spawn over deep water in the channel and NOT on the flats. Tight lines everyone.....this will be a longer than normal season.

Also, I think I figured why south of Poukeepsie to Newburgh has not lit up with the thick schools as they normally do.......4 million gallons of raw sewage was dumped in the river in Poughkeepsie which has caused these fish to NOT stop in these areas as they normally would.....they are travelling through....this explains why the areas North of Poighkeepsie have lit up so much.....hopefully this returns to normal next year.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:57 AM
Striper Hunter

Albany area was slow. Fish are still stratified and most are on the western side of the river. Water temp was60-61°. Only 2-3 other boats out. Drifted live and chunks in that 15-25’ zone...no takers. Anchored both shallow( hoping to find a few active feeders but only managed constant doubles of catfish on the chunks) and on the channel edge again, using live and chunks of varying sizes. Some people have done well up here this season and some have struck out completely. The silver lining is that I haven’t seen a single floating dead striper and the warming water temps should help the fertilized eggs. No dead strippers mean either the catch rate has been low or people are handling them better. Maybe both.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:52 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
Albany area was slow. Fish are still stratified and most are on the western side of the river. Water temp was60-61°. Only 2-3 other boats out. Drifted live and chunks in that 15-25’ zone...no takers. Anchored both shallow( hoping to find a few active feeders but only managed constant doubles of catfish on the chunks) and on the channel edge again, using live and chunks of varying sizes. Some people have done well up here this season and some have struck out completely. The silver lining is that I haven’t seen a single floating dead striper and the warming water temps should help the fertilized eggs. No dead strippers mean either the catch rate has been low or people are handling them better. Maybe both.
Water conditions have been horrible all year. Even when it cleared up it was still flowing very high and fast.

Oh well ….. I'm going to go chase lakers and salmon on George
Old 05-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Striper Hunter

28" on live, outgoing. 2 other runs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	signal-2019-05-21-195613[6].jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	35860  
Old 05-22-2019, 02:10 AM
Senior Member Elite

Today was another good day despite the wind..we fished Norrie Point and ended up with 68 for the day. The early am was nice and calm and the bite was on but then the wind picked up and created some issues with proper bait presentation. Afterna few hours the wind actually helped.....if counteracted the flood tide causing slack tide conditions where we slowly drifted across the channel....well....our stationary baits must have been quite appealing because the bite was on fire...we had doubles, triples and quads....what a chinese fire drill. The wind died out fornthe ebb tide and the bite continued until dark.....we had to quite to bring some buddies in. Toward the evening there were black screens all over and they were biting. It seemed like they wee staging to spawn and looking for the females hanging out in the mud. We will be back out at 5 am to take advantage of this bite. There were schools throughout the column traveling the edge of the channel....we could see them come up frequently to feed. We did find the big cous laying in shallow water but they had the prespawn lockjaw. Water temps were steady at 58.5 all day then hit 60 on the ebb tide.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:37 AM
Senior Member Elite

Wow.....I didn't post last night because I was too tired from pulling in 96 Striper for the day......it was on fire up north around Norrie Point. The first am bite on ebb tide was best but it was fairly steady all day.....the nite significantly dropped off with drift speeds over 1 mph. The night bite on the same ebb tide also lit up....we got up to 96 and were hoping for 100 but as soon as the sun set the bite shut down. Leaving now to try for that 100. I am on my way to breaking last seasons total.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:33 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
Wow.....I didn't post last night because I was too tired from pulling in 96 Striper for the day......it was on fire up north around Norrie Point. The first am bite on ebb tide was best but it was fairly steady all day.....the nite significantly dropped off with drift speeds over 1 mph. The night bite on the same ebb tide also lit up....we got up to 96 and were hoping for 100 but as soon as the sun set the bite shut down. Leaving now to try for that 100. I am on my way to breaking last seasons total.
You certainly have things dialed in this year. Never tried traveling south nor have I used anything but herring. Seems like a different game...not much else to report from Albany area. Nice job. Good luck breaking last years total.