Shore Fishing Reports, Albany and Beyond - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 12:26 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Shore Fishing Reports, Albany and Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
Anybody still fishing the Albany area?
Yes , Finally got out today and enjoyed my First day in Weeks after Finally passing my college Finals .

Saw many people out , especially the ones who pulled up in front of me while I was fishing from shore below the 378 bridge,

It must be Embarrassing to have to Teach your son that it is "Proper Etiquette" to pull your $20,000 boat up in front of a Shore Fisherman , while having 2 miles of river in each direction to fish. I mean , I wish I had pics , I was casting beyond them as they were approaching the shoreline directly in front of me .

What a Joke , I mean , you could Plainly see me from 200 yrds. away !!

So, to the question .. there are Tons of Herring in the river Albany area ,

and as long as there are / is food they will stay , I'll be fishing it for the next two weeks Easy
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 05:01 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the update. As for the inconsiderate boater...I feel your pain. Iíve had some people cruise past me while Iím on anchor that clearly had a common sense deficiency. In any event, good luck.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Veteran Elite

Were they setting up and fishing or jigging bait?

That stretch along those rocks seems to always produce herring when you can't get it in the main river. It's obviously a very long stretch and it's easy to avoid an area where people are fishing from shore. At the same time if that's the only spot to get herring (i'm thinking of off the Poesty when they first arrive) it seems like boat guys shouldn't be expected to avoid the only area with bait.

I don't have any issues with any of it and try to avoid all conflicts with other people - on shore or in a boat.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:21 PM
First Mate

Same thing anywhere you are fishing from shore this time of year . . Fyshh Trap. . A well placed 4..5. . Or 6 oz. Sinker is great for keeping the boats away . .
Old 05-17-2019, 08:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
Anybody still fishing the Albany area?
Holy Cow , and Let me tell ya there are still Huge unspawned Bass in the . River , Today up yo 42" and 30 lbs.

I'll fill in the rest of this report tomorrow !!!
Old 05-18-2019, 10:45 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Were they setting up and fishing or jigging bait?

That stretch along those rocks seems to always produce herring when you can't get it in the main river. It's obviously a very long stretch and it's easy to avoid an area where people are fishing from shore. At the same time if that's the only spot to get herring (i'm thinking of off the Poesty when they first arrive) it seems like boat guys shouldn't be expected to avoid the only area with bait.

I don't have any issues with any of it and try to avoid all conflicts with other people - on shore or in a boat.
This was below the 378 Bridge , stopped right in front of me ?? I coulda jumped in their boat. There was a mile of river each way with nobody around . Rensselaer side . Unreal
Old 05-20-2019, 12:42 AM
First Mate

Again I have been able to get out for just a few hours and have met Soo many people from just North of the Corning Preserve to just shy of the Dam .
Today was met with two back to back 28" fish and just when I thought it was gonna be a banner day it stopped . I switched to chunking from my usual jigging banter and caught 8 Cats , just one after another just below the 378 bridge .
There are Soo much Herring in the river now Albany area and Shad , "yep" caught some of them also , that the Bass are not going anywhere too soon .
It may be quick but I think we have another good week of larger fish still looming .
Rain and water temps have been fluctuating and a lot of bass are just "Hanging " with all of the Herring and baitfish in the area.
Because of this last semester of school I have only yet Begun to get out , But you know me , I'll be fishing for 'em till September and racking up my numbers !!
Let Us know how you are doing on Any Shore Fishing Reports ,
They are Still here !!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:16 AM
First Mate

Such a Great Day today, not just fishing but because of the people I met on the River and this Is what it is all about, especially for me .
Loaded up my Bike and went to the Bruno Wall in hopes to meet some people I met last week and what happened was just so great .
I was watching the River and the Early incoming tide and was met by some people who were relatively new to the Spring fishing experience.
I had my ODM Rod and a Shimano Long Cast reel worth $1300 but just decided to watch the people trying to catch Herring and offering some advice on just how to do just that .
Now most people had sufficient rods but I asked a few to try my outfit after they saw a few casts , None would , but they Did listen to some of my strange wisdom of Why and how Stripers do their thing on the river , and Tide changes etc .. I also helped a young lad with a Herring rig which he had tied a Rock to the end in hopes to entice a Herring , I quickly removed the rock and tied a 1 oz. sinker to that rig and told him how to cast and retrieve it .

This was met by an immediate Herring , I also told him why the Herring rig was beneficial and what it represented to that Herring , he was soo thankful .

I guess what I am saying is that it isn't just the catching so much as the understanding and helping others who are just coming into this fantastic sport.
There was also a lot of questions of Catfishing and Walleye , but generally I hoped that I could clear some of those also .

My day ended with one small 24" male below the 378 bridge and just soo much gratification of helping a Great few people get some opinion on the "Hows and Whys" of what to do .

Please share all you can to all to help build a better fishery and better relations with all who enjoy this sport !!

PS.

I'll try to leave out the part where the guys in the $30,000 boat pulled right into the Poestenkill(Bruno Wall ) and basically moved 4 guys fishing for Herring right off the corner , yup they sure did , And there was a young girl in the boat learning that Fishing Ettiquette , like I said I wont get into That conversation.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyshhTrap View Post
Such a Great Day today, not just fishing but because of the people I met on the River and this Is what it is all about, especially for me .
Loaded up my Bike and went to the Bruno Wall in hopes to meet some people I met last week and what happened was just so great .
I was watching the River and the Early incoming tide and was met by some people who were relatively new to the Spring fishing experience.
I had my ODM Rod and a Shimano Long Cast reel worth $1300 but just decided to watch the people trying to catch Herring and offering some advice on just how to do just that .
Now most people had sufficient rods but I asked a few to try my outfit after they saw a few casts , None would , but they Did listen to some of my strange wisdom of Why and how Stripers do their thing on the river , and Tide changes etc .. I also helped a young lad with a Herring rig which he had tied a Rock to the end in hopes to entice a Herring , I quickly removed the rock and tied a 1 oz. sinker to that rig and told him how to cast and retrieve it .

This was met by an immediate Herring , I also told him why the Herring rig was beneficial and what it represented to that Herring , he was soo thankful .

I guess what I am saying is that it isn't just the catching so much as the understanding and helping others who are just coming into this fantastic sport.
There was also a lot of questions of Catfishing and Walleye , but generally I hoped that I could clear some of those also .

My day ended with one small 24" male below the 378 bridge and just soo much gratification of helping a Great few people get some opinion on the "Hows and Whys" of what to do .

Please share all you can to all to help build a better fishery and better relations with all who enjoy this sport !!

PS.

I'll try to leave out the part where the guys in the $30,000 boat pulled right into the Poestenkill(Bruno Wall ) and basically moved 4 guys fishing for Herring right off the corner , yup they sure did , And there was a young girl in the boat learning that Fishing Ettiquette , like I said I wont get into That conversation.
Ive fished that area in my initial attempts...years ago. You did a great thing for that kid, now heíll pass what heís learned on to his friends and itíll be more enjoyable for all of them.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Went 3 for 5 in Glasco Monday, flood tide. Lost one when my drag locked up...&$%@! Landed a 31" male, and a 30" male a bit later. Then a run & drop that mangled my bait. Finished the day by finally breaking the 40" mark...barely, a nice 40.5" cow! All on live.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190520_112402_1558801049101.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	35906   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190520_140524_HDR_1558802118663.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	35908  
Old 05-30-2019, 05:23 PM
Striper Hunter

I know it’s a long shot but any fish in the Troy-Albany area?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:35 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpingjoe180 View Post
I know itís a long shot but any fish in the Troy-Albany area?
Catfish

I fished this past weekend and couldn't keep the cats off my bait. At one point I doubled up on cats.

I had a couple live herring out the whole time and no stripers on that but the cats even hit that.

Tried again this morning with the same result but i'm sure there are a few fish around still.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Striper Hunter

Went out this morning in the boat. Same results a cat and zero herring. There’s herring in the posty but there thinning out quick