Tail Weight Molds? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Tail Weight Molds?

I've run into a little problem when it comes to lures that require tailweights like pencils etc, Ive looked around for the mold and they don't sell it, I first started using 3/8" or smaller copper tubing and pouring the lead into it then drilling threw it to make the whole but the bits always break and it becomes to much of a process. So Now I've been pouring the lead directly into the wood it works but it's not the way I wanna do it, anyone have any tips or suggestions when it comes to tail weight mold ideas? I appreciate it thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Tail Weight Molds?

How big around and how long . What size hole goes through it . Some times I get junk molds I can adapt modify ect. Sometimes I can churn out an Idea from this old bald head .
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Official Member

I had a fishing friend who made a tail weight mold for me ..Being a Machinest it was intracate in design..Poured 8 at a time...This can be costly.. But I made a simple mold out ofaluminum plate size 3/8" thick X whatever scraps you can find or purchase at metal companies ,,,Mine is3" x 6",,,Drill the two pieces on each end to accept a nail to use as a guide to keep plates in order.You have to keep pin tight on one side & ream other drill hole so it can pull apart easy..Another words its a alighnment pin as you see in molds.Now drill between the plates with a 1/8" drill completly tru..This is your pin hole for wire to fit tru...Then in same holes drill with 5/16" drill as far down as you want lenght of weights. Use a counter sink to bevel the hole tops for easy pouring..Hold together with vise grips & insert either nails 1/8' or if you can find 1/8" case hardener pins..Use candle smoke or Pam for a releasing agent.Now its best to use pure lead as it pulls the pins out much easier.. Wheel weights are a lot tougher to use ...Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Striper Hunter

I was thinking along the same lines .
Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

you can make them out of rock hard wood blocks... drill the size hole/length you want 3/4 of the way through... then drill a centered hole for your through wire... use a countersink at the top of each hole to make a funnel... I make squared off "u" shaped scraps of ss through wire for pins... coat them with grill spray ( the same stuff you use on your propane grill) ... split hte "molds" with a thin kerfed band saw... when you wan tot o pour... clamp the mould together with a "c" clamp.. I've got some custom wood ones I've had for 15 years or so...you can't pour as fast as aluminum molds but they work great for a hobby builder
Old 09-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Yes I know this is a little old and not sure who is on here still beside Roccus. Anyway this is what I did running into the same problem with pencils. I used a 3/8 (I believe off hand) and the a little bigger than a 1/8 drill bit on the bottom. It actually works good. I would post a picture but when I try to it tells me to enter a web page. If anyone can help please do and so I could show you the photo of it.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Here is what I made. I have drill more holes in it with different hole sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lead weight mold.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	24866  
Old 12-22-2015, 12:36 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I've made a few of those myself... they serve the need. Good job!