Deadly Dick - Replacing Treble - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Deadly Dick - Replacing Treble

Started using a Deadly Dick in the daytime and it works. Definitely my fav metal go-to for Stripers now. The issue is the number of lost fish with the treble. I had read that many replace it to a single hook which I am a big fan of, just didn't have any spare single hooks. I have a 3oz, what size hook, 4 or 5? Targeting Stripers and fishing in the surf. Was thinking of putting on a hook with some white bucktail on it. Has anyone found the lure changes how it moves/performs when adding a single hook?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Deadly Dick - Replacing Treble

I switch out the treble with a single 1to2 sizes bigger than the attached treble.
I think it swimms with better action.

Hows the fishing? I'll be up in the York area at the end of Sept.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Striper Hunter

Tks for the reply. The fishing has been off a bit of the last week. Strange as some areas are producing and some aren't. Fished the weekend during the day and caught a number of stripers but nothing big. Largest was 29" but did see some big fish in the waves so they are here. Just need to entice them to bite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Pro Staff

I doubt that switching from a treble hook to a single is going to reduce the number of lost fish. It will, however, reduce the amount of damage done to fish that you catch and release, which is a good thing

I use a 4/0 hook on a 3oz Deadly Dick.