Zeebass - Van Staal Discussion - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 03-24-2010, 01:23 PM
First Mate

Default Zeebass - Van Staal Discussion

edit = thread cleaved from Discussion on Lamiglas Rods

I'm not real kean on the Lami guides. I still may buy an Arra 1204 custom that was used maybe 3 times. The guy has 2 of everything built som may actually never used it. How do you think the Arra 1204 custom would pair up with a ZX25? I thought it might be a nice match but I really think I want to go with the Mojo. Either Rod will cost me about the same, actually I may be able to get the Lami 1204 abit cheaper. If anyone is interested in it let me know so I can pass on the word to him-well if I don't take it anyway.

Jackbass sorry for the delay in getting stuff to you. The Knipex set will be on it's way(make up for delay)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Lamiglass

With that reel I'd want a custom rod built to my exact spec's. Go for it since you already did with the reel
Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Save your money and get the VS unless you can get a first gen Z people have been having many problems with the side plates leaking on newer Z's the first Gen with the screw mounted side plate seals better.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 PM
First Mate

I was thinking about a custom rod today, problem is time-I want it now. I may look into getting a custom Baby ULUA or maybe even go with the Custom Lami already built. The Lami I can get was built to ZX25 specs anyway. I had been looking into the VS and almost pulled the trigger, I was a C hair away. After looking at some VS and ZX reels I decided to drop the extra. I want to use the reel in the fall and was worried about stiffness. I still can get a super good deal on a new VS200, which I may grab also if I can swing it.
I already told the person yes on the ZX and I wont back out of my word. Don't want to anyway

What rod would you recommend? I wish I could get a AFAW Estuary or Surf
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass
Save your money and get the VS unless you can get a first gen Z people have been having many problems with the side plates leaking on newer Z's the first Gen with the screw mounted side plate seals better.
$1000 bucks and the side plates leak?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Veteran Elite

Yup and everyone loves them because when their $1000 breaks on them they get good customer service I still don't get it. A $1000+ reel should have zero problems IMOP
Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Pro Staff

Agreed. Now that the production is in china? The First Gen had the allen screws holding the side plates on the newer versions have the thumb screw. I am no expert I don't own one I have just heard there are problems.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:29 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
$1000 bucks and the side plates leak?
Jim what generation is your ZB if you still have one as I know you donated one. Well I did not spend $1000, I paid $725. I was told the reel was used twice, I think he was full of it. I think it was ever used, not a mark on it. He sold it as he has(well had) 2 of them and never got to use this one. As said I was a c hair away from getting the VS, but then I thought bout it and tried them again. The Vs is WAY stiffer and worse when cold. I had also heard of handles snapping due to defects. With repairs I don't care what you buy or how much it costs-there can always be problems. I had also spoke with over a 1/2 people that owned bot ZX and VS-and all of them liked their ZB much better and several even sold there VS because they did not care for them. I'm not saying the VS is bad but with my limited use I liked the ZB better

One thing I can say is my Shimano TwinPower is 100 times smoother than both of them! Awesome effing reel!!!(better be for $700 or so retail) Never mind it holds 250 meters of 16lb test and only weighs 14.28 oz. This reel hass the 6000 body with the 8000 spool and this config can only be had from the Japanese Domestic version. I think it only has 25 or 28 lbs of drag though

I still may get a VS200 as I can get a new in box for $600 new. As far as the rod goes-I highly value Sudsy's word and spoke several times about rods and I was assured about the Lami. Now also remember that the Super Surf and Arra are different composition then the SUrf Jetty I got. I still may pick up the St Croix Mojo or maybe I will build a Seeker Baby ALUA or a Pure Carbon(no fiber) Loomis blank

I'm actually still looking into importing an AFAW
Old 03-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Pro Staff

With the Zee the one thing you may want to do is seal the holes in the drag knob. I know people have had problems with water getting into the drag through the drag knob. I think Jake F sealed his with silicone. to adress that and he is in the water all summer long skishing. I hope the reel is fantastic to you
Old 03-27-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS
Jim what generation is your ZB
I had a first generation it was a great reel and I'm really not a fan of skirted reels. I would probably have changed it out to a single roller with a counter weight rather than the dual rollers.
A gasket will stop the sand under the drag. Or as mark pointed out the RTV - Or just rinse after fishing.
As far as cold stiffness on the VS, all grease gets stiff when cold.
They are less stiff after being worked. The handle knob needs oil too after sitting.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
First Mate

Well I was not really considering a custom but a friend from Texas sent me some pics of his---WOW I know looks don't make a rod but some of those custom wraps are sweet.

Wondering what to spool the ZX25 with. I going to use braid or fused. Just really trying to figure test. I was thinking 30# but I have spools that range from #20 & #30 Fireline plus #30 and #40 braid
Old 03-27-2010, 12:00 PM

I used 40 of sufix performance braid. Aout 275 yards with mono backing.
ZB25RD. I had Paulie in M do mine.
We got a little off topic on the lamiglas.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:44 PM
First Mate

Yeah I was thinking of making a new thread as the lami got jacked
Old 03-27-2010, 12:55 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
I had a first generation it was a great reel and I'm really not a fan of skirted reels. I would probably have changed it out to a single roller with a counter weight rather than the dual rollers.
A gasket will stop the sand under the drag. Or as mark pointed out the RTV - Or just rinse after fishing.
As far as cold stiffness on the VS, all grease gets stiff when cold.
They are less stiff after being worked. The handle knob needs oil too after sitting.

Yeah I called ZB about switching over to single pick up JIC. It's an easy swap and cost is about $40 for kit. I don't really plan on swimming with it and service is a breeze anyway. I watched a video then broke down reel and reaasembled in under 10 minutes. I don't care what reel it is there is always a chance of water intrusion and I can check with the turn of 1 screw. Any one that swims with a 2nd gen. that does not check it is just crazy or lazy-takes 1 minute and no tools. I have also seen several VS's that have leaked so it can happen to any of them
Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
I was thinking about a custom rod today, problem is time-I want it now. I may look into getting a custom Baby ULUA or maybe even go with the Custom Lami already built. The Lami I can get was built to ZX25 specs anyway. I had been looking into the VS and almost pulled the trigger, I was a C hair away. After looking at some VS and ZX reels I decided to drop the extra. I want to use the reel in the fall and was worried about stiffness. I still can get a super good deal on a new VS200, which I may grab also if I can swing it.
I already told the person yes on the ZX and I wont back out of my word. Don't want to anyway

What rod would you recommend? I wish I could get a AFAW Estuary or Surf
Keep in mind the rod may have been custom built to match that reel but who was the rod built to match besides the size of the reel spool. A custom should be custom to you, your size and your preferences not someone who may be a foot taller or shorter than yourself or a builder making a rod and calling it custom. Take a blank and make believe your casting it. Mark where your hands are and keep those measurements. You will be surprised on your ideal spread compared to a so called custom store bought rod. And please get a 1 piece