Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reels. Shimano Vs Penn Which manufacturer do you prefer for reels?

REELS? PENN Vs Shimano

Tags
penn reels
57K views 87 replies 31 participants last post by  hunter12 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Bought these two reels. The Shimano was roughly $160, while the Penn was $140. I was looking at how they compare online but there is only really the stats and stuff available and no real forum of actual fishermen comments are available.

I was wondering has anybody used these reels ? And, also, How does the PENN rate against the Shimano which is apparently better? ( I heard some bad stuff about the PENN real just after I bought it)

Ps The type of fishing I do is just from the rocks, using herring and Mack chunks, mostly into small inlets where i let the current take the bait until the line stops rippin off the reel.....then wait.

Comments?

Editorial on the PENN 5600

East coast tackle Shimano stradic

#57 ·
Not sure one i b ought for about 60 bucks(for freshwater) and 2 diferent ones on 2 different charter boats all 3 of them had major freeplay ,Ive snapped the base off a cheepo penn silverado and broke tha handle on a captiva 5000 liveliner but no freeplay on either and no probs any other penns

#58 ·
silverado/captiva/any new penn concoction i would throw out with the bathwater. junk. if you notice the baitrunner will have that "freeplay" for lack of better word, as when you disengage the freespool by turning the handle you A. have the small amount of "line out" which will give you the sudden snap as this is caused by the force of setting the hook while there is too much line (very little), but when using braid it is enough to shock the business end and, force x weight x etc etc etc. B. that can be avoided by disengaging the freespool by flipping the baitrunner lever up as if you turn the handle you also move the line just ever so slightly and it is all a fish needs to feel rubbing against it's jaw. after all that is what the thing was designed to do. not many people know how to actually use that reel. never ever ever turn the handle when bass fishing with any reel (pet peeve and i yell at anyone baitfishing when i see these mistakes) sure there are those who catch fish playing around with line management but for the most part big fish don't get big being stupid. you need to pay out just enough line before she gets spooked by the line. that will happen when she turns/moves off/moves in "sneak attack -(thanks jigman wherever you are) etc. catches more fish yes! loses more fish yes! win win situation for some but lose lose for the REAL fisherman with no patience or room for error. sorry for the run-on sentences again sudsy!!!!!! i get carried away

#59 ·
the anti reverse on my shimano baitrunners are instant...no play whatsoever. my penns however have slop in them....and they are not newer models. being in tune with your gear is most important. knowing how to set a hook with the gear you have is the point, i think, zim is trying to get across. know your gear and its limitations and learn how to work with it and you should be able to set a hook with no problems. just make sure your gear is maintained and in good working order for when the fish of a lifetime comes along and takes your offering....if your not paying attention you will get caught with your pants down.

#64 ·
NOT!!!!!!

the baitrunner is a great priced googan machine. fyi....i used mine at montauk...and it spent more time underwater than my grease packed penn7500ss (old discontinued metal version) and when i stripped it down to look inside at the hotel, the inside was clean as a whistle...and everything was smooth as could be. i know it may not last a season of harsh treatment if left unserviced. but i know for a fact i could torture mine next year and it will take the abuse as long as I keep it clean and oiled/greased after every few trips. its a very versatile and dependable reel.....and its very well balanced on the afaw estuary rod.
PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT...CHARLIE!!!!!

#62 ·
The reel was a sedona. Put it this way I wont be buying another. A 60 reel shouldnt have freeplay. I started with shakspear alphas and they dont even have freeplay in the anti-reverse.

A penn fan will tell you shimano and diawa are junk. A shimano fan will tell you penn and daiwa are junk. A diawa fan will tell you penn and shimano are junk. If my wife would allow Id probably buy a VS and say there all junk. Then again ive head of them breaking once in a while too.

#63 ·
every reel has a tolerance. most brands have discounted/middle of the road/good/excellent models. sedona? :smiliedoh: ... i have owned/used/repaired/and threw out my share of reels. all i am saying in this regard is buyer beware and do some soul searching when it comes to tackle. i would like to say "buy this fella" but since there is a large variety and sometimes money is the question. a used reel of substance on ebay could be alot better than a brand new piece of crap of the same price range. i wanted to know how that sedona went when someone bought it a while back but nobody gave an evaluation on it for us.

#70 ·
My primaries are the ZB and the VS
For surfcasting the 704 - 06 cant be beat

The Cabo is a very nice reel too. My choice is the baitrunner more than the Cabo for bait fishing and the Cabo more than the baitrunner for plugs or slinging eels.
The Cabo is a quantum.
The other consideration for me with that reel - is the handle. I know its an improvement over the old one that had issues but it feels fat and a bit oversized for my liking.

#78 ·
My primaries are the ZB and the VS
For surfcasting the 704 - 06 cant be beat

The Cabo is a very nice reel too. My choice is the baitrunner more than the Cabo for bait fishing and the Cabo more than the baitrunner for plugs or slinging eels.
The Cabo is a quantum.
The other consideration for me with that reel - is the handle. I know its an improvement over the old one that had issues but it feels fat and a bit oversized for my liking.
I know this was an older post but thought I might chime in. I myself don't own and would not buy a VS. That's just me as for the money I think it should be better and more consistent from reel to reel. For the money I would rather have a Stella if I had to pick from the two, even though it's not completely waterproof. The ZB on the other hand is a fishing machine.

Back to the normal folks reels I like the Baitrunner series and I hope the new D series is as good as it looks and feels new. I tried one out at the store and it is very nice, hope to be slinging one this fall. I do agree though if throwing plugs all day the Cabo might be nicer on the arm and Quantum has greatly improved their reels over the years. The new Baitrunner D series is lighter than the older a and b series though when you compare equal models. It's pretty nice with 20 lbs of drag on the 6000, and those dartaniums should last.
For the money nothing beats the Z series on the beach, and just imagine it's a reel that was designed 50 or 60 yrs ago(704z). Many of the new reels made don't have have the drag those oold Penns have. Many folks try to make the HT100 drags work on their reels.

#76 ·
I own a 10ft airwave and its great light and has alot of spring action to get the plug out there and tossing eels...I tried a huge eel one time and snapped it in 3.LMAO . But Thank god for warranty from Dicks bring it back and get a new one free.:a_goodjob:

#77 ·
I own a penn spinfisher and I can't tell you how much damage I have inflicted upon this reel to no avail. I sw my fiance dunking it in salt water (the sea) after she stepped on it in the sand and she didn't want me to see it covered with sand. The thing worked like its brand new everytime

I also owna boca ( which is a cabo minus the holes) and its pretty good as well. I like the titanium bail specifically and I'm getting the PT series for my Lami 11'

#79 ·
I use both the shimano spheros 14000fb and saragosa 14000 love em both never let me down! I also have a Penn 750 ssm and 950ssm and both seem to have bail problems and have contacted penn on this problem and they keep sending new bails but they to are the same loose and floaty u would think that wouldn't be an issue for a reel maker like Penn so makes u wunder how good is Penn quality????

#80 ·
Wow. I don't remember when i voted on this but it must have been a long time ago. I used to fish Penn but now I only use Shimano reels (with the exception of a Daiwa Sealine that I won).

I have had amazing results with all of my shimanos (2 curado 200's, shimano spheros, and a shimano stradic).

On the east coast Penn seems to be the reel of choice, on the west coast Shimano is one of the most popular reels....as a matter of fact Penn reels aren't used too much out here.

Shimano has great customer service as well. One night while fishing I made a cast and a bunch of pelicans flew by....one got stuck in my line and snapped my shimano clarus rod. I didnt have my receipt so the store wouldnt help me out. I drove up to Irvine, CA (shimano headquarters). The ONLY question they asked me:

Where do we send the new rod?

I actually plan on buying a curado 300 later this month...

#83 ·
Hey Guys,

Bought these two reels. The Shimano was roughly $160, while the Penn was $140. I was looking at how they compare online but there is only really the stats and stuff available and no real forum of actual fishermen comments are available.

I was wondering has anybody used these reels ? And, also, How does the PENN rate against the Shimano which is apparently better? ( I heard some bad stuff about the PENN real just after I bought it)

Ps The type of fishing I do is just from the rocks, using herring and Mack chunks, mostly into small inlets where i let the current take the bait until the line stops rippin off the reel.....then wait.

Comments?

Editorial on the PENN 5600

East coast tackle Shimano stradic

Fin-Nor!!!!

#84 ·
Personally, I am a fan of the Shimano series its reels have always worked best for me, especially Shimano Baitrunner D, it is my best saltwater reel. I also recommend it to my friend and he bought one but that didn't work for him may be he hasn't spooled it properly or didn't use a proper rod with or most probably bought it from the wrong place, all I remember is his phone call saying" it's a gross"

#85 ·
well its a bit confusing that should I call it a sad story or a funny one, but its quite obvious that you have the best saltwater reel so if you don't mind split😅 it out from where you bought it because same happened to me like your friend , a faulty reel came in my parcel.

#86 ·
well its a long story.....I bought total two shimanos in my life one 15 years ago and 2nd 1 year ago, talking about the recent one which I bought ,I was reading reviews on different sites and I opened a link and I was landed on amazon and I bought it...Tada😂 so I can't directly link to seller but I can refer you the website it was something like fishing life....ummmm let me check oh yes!! go here and buy what you like the best saltwater spinning reels for this season of 2022

#88 ·
Penn, I still have some from when my dad bought them for me in the late 50's early 60's. I like that there esy to work on and maintain. I do have a Shimano stradic, I like the real , smooth, but not easy to work on. Penns have never let me down. The only one I'm leary on is my Slammer IV 6500 , it cast great but the drag is eratic, lt's like it has 2 stages to the drag. But it gets the job done. Tight lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.