Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Surfplugology
Thread: Surfplugology
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 06:52 AM
swabbie

Smile Re: Surfplugology

Striperjim,
What a great inciteful article about those vintage plugs. I am from Long Island, and now live in St.Augustine Florida. Many of the same type of topwater plugs are used here for redfish and trout in early morning and evening fishing. Growing up, we used to spend summers out in Montauk camping in Ditch Plains trialer park, and we fished day in and day out. I used to bug my DAD to borrow his pole to give the surf a try. Most of the time is was a "no", but one time I think I wore him out asking and he gave in ...I went down to the beach only to drag a 17lb striper back. I think the entire park knew I caught that fish, and soon the beach was crowded with fishermen, but noone caught anything that I can remember. Those were great times, thanks for article which really jogged my memory, I think the striper swiper, and the Hopkins were the ultimate for catching blues and bass in the suds...Great job from the sunshine state..wish we had linesiders here in St.Auggie....furthest south I have ever heard them coming is Jacksonville..at the Shands bridge...Tight lines