Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Re: Brinkmans Philadelphia ane Eastern Pa. area Fishing report

Friday March 2, 2007
Brinkmans
TROUT SEASON IN THE LOWER COUNTIES OPENS MARCH 31st. UPPER COUNTIES WILL OPEN APRIL 14th. FIRST BLOODWORMS SHOULD BE IN WEDNESDAY MARCH 7th. TROUT SEASON CLOSED FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH. Just a reminder that you should spread the word to friends and family about the early trout season. Most people don't realize that it is opening two weeks earlier in the lower counties.
And with striper season opening in the river yesterday, even now I don't think there are many stripers moving up into the river yet we will be bringing in bloodworms next Wednesday if all works out as planed. Now with trout season closing you can't fish Core Creek or Levittown Lake which is where some of the better reports were coming from. Now you still have the shopping center lake at 413 and 13 and there have been a few crappies, perch and catfish taken here. There is still a bit of ice on the lake but after the rain last night I would think on a small lake most should have been melted. They did catch a few fish in Magnolia through the ice a week ago but after the rain I'm not sure if there is any open water yet and I know if there is ice it won't be safe. Fairless Hills is another place you will be able to fish this month but here again I don't know if there is any open water yet. Now there were a few guys fishing up in the Neshaminy Creek up by Hulmeville Road and they did catch a few perch and catfish. But I think the water is still too cold for the bass to start hitting.
Now there have been several guys fishing the upper river in the new Hope, Byran, Point Pleasant and Frenchtown areas for walleyes. And they have been doing pretty good. Most of the guys I know have been picking up 2 to 5 fish each trip up with some fish 3 to 5 pounds. They have been using allot of minnows, worms, bucktails, hair jigs, twister tails and spoons. None have said anything on catching a smallie yet. In the lower river there have been several guys heading out with nightcrawlers, clams, herring and chicken livers looking for anything that will bite and I have only talked to one customer that picked up a few catfish. But if you do get way down river in the Salem area they have been picking up a few smaller stripers and perch around the power plant. These fish are local fish hanging around the warm water discharge. Now some of the best fresh water fishing has been in the rivers and lakes in south jersey. One customer fished at Mays Landing in the Little Egg Harbor river and had a real good day on yellow perch and pickerel. He was fishing off the bulk head and caught 9 keeper perch and had 5 pickerel. All the fish were picked up on live minnows. He tried fishing the lake but only had a couple of hits. Another customer was fishing at the Saw Mill below Batso Lake and picked up a bunch of smaller pickerel on twister tails. He was going to fish the river but the cove across from the ramp was still iced in so he went up to the open water. One last report was out of Union Lake. This customer was down on Tuesday and picked up several pickerel, perch and crappies. He did not have to go far from the ramp and was fishing minnows under a bobber just drifting.
And saltwater action should be picking up pretty soon inshore. But the off shore fishing has been fantastic if you can get a good day to get out. Through the month of January they had some of the best sea bass fishing around but February came in and most of the boats only got out a couple of times. But each trip out most guys are able to catch their limits of 3 to 7 pound sea bass with a few pollock, cod and ling mixed in. Most of the sea bass are being caught with clams and the cod and pollock on diamond jigs. And the guys that were heading to Massachusetts are going to start getting out again. But the past month most of the boats were iced in. Up here they will get some sea bass but most are looking for bigger cod, pollock and hake. Most of the fishing up north is done with big jigs.
Well I know it is short but that is all I have this week. I may start every week now but for a bit things will be light. If you do get out good luck and make sure you check out your tackle and make sure if there is any work to be done do it now and not when the fish start biting.