Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Center cutter - should have built one of these years ago!

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  go4broke44 
#1 ·
One of the jobs I always hated was marking and punching centers in blanks. I can't stand doing mindless crap, especially when it has to be perfect or it throws off my entire process.
Designed this machine to make perfectly centered holes every time in AYC baluster.

Built it using a small electric motor tool I found in an empty building years ago (one of the perks of my job). It could just as easily be made with a sewing machine motor.
Placed an arbor over the shaft and threaded the cutter side to accept a sharpened bolt.

Stupidly simple concept that only took me 20 years to come up with Violet Font Magenta Symmetry Pattern

Wood Floor Flooring Composite material Bumper

Wood Gas Machine Machine tool Metal

Wood Floor Composite material Gas Hardwood

Did all the blanks that don't have lines in 1/10th the amount of time it took to do the ones that had to have centering lines drawn and the holes punched with an awl.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Brick Font

See less See more
#4 ·
Built it using a small electric motor tool I found in an empty building years ago (one of the perks of my job). It could just as easily be made with a sewing machine motor.

Placed an arbor over the shaft and threaded the cutter side to accept a sharpened bolt.
No it doesn't.
I get my AYC in fairly big batches and I don't make too many plugs, 50 to 75 a year has been average. I just finished cutting and marking enough blanks to keep me busy for months.
If the next batch from the mill is a bit different in size then this one I'll need to figure out how to adjust the cutter.

#6 ·
SUDS QUOTE "Designed this machine to make perfectly centered holes every time in AYC baluster."

Where do you get your balusters? Are you buying through a local lumber yard? A Lowes near me used to carry them but they don't anymore. Go figure as they carry cedar decking, 2x4, and 3/4 stock. I do have a yard near me but they are stupid expensive, I wonder why anyone buys anything from them.

To make smaller adjustment on baluster size you can start with a smaller thickness lexan and have flat shims to adjust. Or if you want send the unit upto me me. I can bring to the shop and make it adjustable for you.
The fisrt thing I thought of when I saw it was that it is none adjustable and will only center one size lumber. If you need I have a lexan supplier we use near the shop and I can get you different thickness lexan if you need.

Great idea and time saver!!!

#8 ·
Where do you get your balusters? Are you buying through a local lumber yard?

To make smaller adjustment on baluster size you can start with a smaller thickness lexan and have flat shims to adjust.

Or if you want send the unit up to me me. I can bring to the shop and make it adjustable for you.
I get mine the same place everyone else does - there's a lumberyard in Rhody that supplies just about all the plugbuilders
And yes, it's expensive, costs me about $6 a stick.

Smaller is easy, like you said, shims
Bigger is an issue.

We should talk :bluegrin:

#9 ·
I get my Lexan (polycarbonate) from a supplier. I think thats all they sell so I get it at wholesale. Many times I get drop offs from them for next to nothing or even free. I've gotten from 11/16 for a safety shield on a bus down to oh I don't know-very thin. So if you need I can check with them. Or if you want we can make the table adjustable. Just bring it up and we can goto the shop and do what we need- or F it and you'll be fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.