Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Which cast net?

Tags
cast net
5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Outback25 
#1 ·
Looking to buy cast net to catch gizzard shad for bait, what is a good cast net at a resonable price, not looking for the cheapest but a good net at a decent price.
Thanks
Tommy

#2 ·
Try to get one with small hole size. For diameter, the bigger it is, the harder it is to learn to throw. I have a 3 foot and a 12 foot, and the 12 is a real pain in the ass. For gizzard shad, a 6 foot I think would be good to learn on (still challenging).

#3 ·
Tommy, there are a few things you need to look for when selecting a cast net. First, keep in mind net sizes are measured by radius. I would recommend starting out with a 6' radius. This size is relatively easy to throw, yet still covers enough area and sinks fairly quickly. The next thing to consider is mesh size. The bigger the mesh, the quicker the net sinks, however, a bigger mesh causes more baits to "get stuck" or escape. If most of the gizzards you are catching are less than 8'' i would go with the 1/2'' mesh size.

Check out Champion cast nets at www.memphisnet.net or the fitec super spreader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.