Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Hudson Report Thread after the striper run

7K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  got em 
#1 ·
Questions for the moderators: I fish the Hudson a lot from april to October, Albany area from the dam down to catskill. I know this site is dedicated to stripers, but what's the possibility of creating a sticky thread for general fishing reports after the season is over? I asked the sports editor for the Times Union if they would start one (they had a survey for what people would like to see in their sports section) but didn't get much positive feedback. River Basin gives reports but no thread. Can't find another thread that would serve the purpose, anyone know of one? Or could we start one here beginning about June 1 when the run is basically over.
Just an idea.

#2 ·
Absolutely. We have a whole forum here dedicated to other saltwater species (not that anyone posts there much). I've got no problem with you guys keeping the Hudson River forum active with other fishing reports after the stripey fishes leave. :icon_thumright:

#4 ·
Well hell. We might as well just shut down this forum altogether then if that's going to happen laughing7.gif

I can honestly say that I've never caught a single largemouth or smallmouth bass in the Hudson. Or any fish at all, for that matter. Granted, I've only ventured down there twice, but if I can't catch a single fish in 2 trips then it is a given that there are no fish that swim in those waters whatsoever. :icon_thumright:

#5 ·
Not a bad idea, just seems guys don't frequent the form much after the run.

River up here is great for many species ... Largies & Smallies, Pike, Carp, Catfish, Drum (sheepshead) ... In fact many guys don't realize how big the Drum can get !! I have seen pics of fish in the mid 20lb range. Seems they bite best after Stripers move out, June & July.

For me once the Stripers leave, i won't be back on the river until next April.

BB

#11 ·
After the striper run I use small, 2-3 inch white perch for bait that I catch on worms. Clip the dorsal fin off if you want. Catch stripers all summer if you work at it. 5 pound smallies too. Big cats. There is a big northern that hangs out at the mouth of the posty, got video. He knows all of your tricks.

#16 ·
from what I read no one knows where the walleyes go. I think it was something I read in connection with the bust on Catskill creek a few years ago. Guys were snagging them in Catskill creek in April, report said they had multiple 10 pounders. Cops were watching. Google catskill creek walleyes, you should come up with the story.

#19 ·
I was actually the one who witnessed the guys from the walleye bust and reported them. My info was how they were able to find the fish because they were transporting them. Guy walked out with the first stringer with about 100lbs of walleye. About 12 of them and smallest was about 8lbs with most 10 and up to 11. It was heart breaking to say the least but justice was done...I to would like to find these walleye after the season opens but most of the neccessary methods would be hard to pull off. Id like to cover water and three way rig them trolling plugs or in line spinner rigs with crawlers. Eel grass and water chestnut makes that extremely difficult. I do know they regularly frequent the creeks in summer but I never seem to catch the giants I get prespawn. Biggest so far was 12.5 lbs back in 2004

#20 ·
:icon_biggrin: fished the lock 1 area of the hudson yesterday....caught smb,drums,cats,sunnies,gills,and one striper !!! all on crabs...:icon_thumright: striper was only 10" but to the for it to get there it had to go thru the first lock in troy or was born there...:icon_idea:....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.