Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Rhode Island Saltwater Fishing License

19K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Saltwater Fishing license vetoed by Governor Carcieri

Registry will begin by the feds in 2011.
Probably 25 bucks with no reciprocity.

Because of Carcieri's veto, Rhode Island joins Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Virginia and Hawaii in being required to implement federal registrations.
Some of those states are still working on state licensing.

The bill passed, 27 to 8, in the Senate, and 39 to 8 in the House.

The Governor's position is that this component of the Magnuson Act flies in the face of the Rhode Island Constitution.

#4 ·
As a guy that fishes Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and RI all I can say is can't wait for next year. It is going to cost me an arm and a leg to fish. Thank You Carcieri (sarcasm). The constitutional debate is bush from what I understand.

#6 ·
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - On their first day back at work, Rhode Island lawmakers overrode Governor Carcieri's vetoes of bills
The House and Senate voted to override Carcieri's veto of a bill to ban recreational saltwater fishing in Rhode Island without a fishing license.

Read More

The license will cost $7 for state residents, $10 for those who don't live in Rhode Island, and will be free for residents who are 65 or older or in active military service. Seven-day licenses would also be offered for $5 for both residents and nonresidents. Like freshwater licenses, they will be available at bait shops and retailers.

Those fishing in violation of the chapter would be guilty of a civil infraction and would be fined $10 for the first offense, $50 for the second and $100 each for subsequent offenses. The money raised will fund administration of the licensing program and support fisheries management and improvement.

#7 ·
Good new guys!

The politicians have decided to keep everyone happy.
Both the ones that wanted state fishing licenses,, and the folks that wanted it done Federally!

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/register/home.jsp

From site;
"PLEASE NOTE: If a state license or registration is required for your fishing activity, you will need to have that license or registration in addition to this federal registration card."

Good Job! :thu::a_goodjob::anon:

Can someone remind me how this all got started 3 yrs. ago?:icon_cool2:
I thought it was about the fish stocks? :whistle:
Tell me,,, how does all this political cluster F@#*ing help the fish?
Man,,, I've GOT to be a numb nut because I don't see anything but more red tape and expense for friends of politicians to have income.:smiliedoh:

But, people wanted it, and by-golly we got it! Glad we still have "For the people / by the people". :thu::yay::biglaff:

#9 ·
McGyver said:
Does anyone know when the RI license will actually be avail.??
2010 licenses are not available until March 1.
Annual licenses purchased today are 2009 licenses expiring on February 28, 2010

All license types may be renewed in person at the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management or by mail.
If you have questions about what license to buy, call the RI DEM at 401-222-6647 ex 4931.

Rhode Island
MARINE FISHERIES SECTION
3 Ft. Wetherill Rd., Jamestown, RI 02835 (401) 423-1920
http://www.dem.ri.gov/topics/mftopics.htm

DEM Headquarters Mailing Address
235 Promenade Street
Providence, RI 02908-5767

#10 ·
Hey guys. I'm a second year law student and I have been following this bill since its inception and I must say that I find all the regulations and cross-regulations confusing. Tell me if this is correct. As it is now (January, 2010), if I go fishing, all I need is to be registered in the federal registry. However, in March, I must buy a RI state license. Next year however, I will need to purchase BOTH the state and federal license? Am I stating that right? Thanks.

#11 ·
Let me see if I can clear this up.

Once you buy a state license you are automatically entered into the federal registry.
Conversely if you are registered with MRIP (Marine Recreational Information Program) aka SARP (Saltwater Anglers Registry program) you will still need to buy a state license if that particular state requires one.
If the state doesn't make the license available then they cant enforce the law.
Their (Rhode island) freshwater licenses and other permits run from March to February as the calender year.
Likely it will be available if you call them. I dont live in Rhode Island but by the time I fish there I'm sure it will be available at the tackle shops.

#15 ·
http://www.saltwater.ri.gov/

The Rhode Island Recreational Saltwater License can be obtained ONLINE at www.saltwater.ri.gov (after April 15, 2010)

What if I already enrolled in the Federal Registry?

If you already registered with National Saltwater Angler Registry Program you do not need to obtain a RI Saltwater Angler License to fish in RI marine waters. Please note the Federal Registry is not honored by all neighboring states, best to check ahead with any state you are visiting to determine their specific rules.

#16 ·
In Rhodie.....
Have your state license with you if your state is reciprocal with us,
Have the rhodie license, OR the Noaa.
Enforcement of this issue is intensive and will be for the season.
I witnessed/ participated in a violation at the Tail. 2 individuals were fined and had gear confiscated. Doesnt matter if your scup fishing or pluggin for Bass.

#17 ·
R.I.'s DEM has been hitting the local haunts pretty heavy, including marinas and public launches.
Lots of folks have said they have been asked about having a license.
Nobody that I've heard about has been issued a citation as of yet.
The scuttlebutt is they will just offer warnings to educate this year. I wouldn't wager on it though. DEM is costing money at this point. Someone (politician) will eventually get the $ idea and it could change overnight.
I heard a rumor where one guy gave them a hard time and ended up in deep do-do. Heard DEM did a better looking into from recieving the hard time and nailed him on some fish. But, that's like 4th or 5th hand info, so who knows.

At least get the free NOAA. Only takes a couple minutes and the printout is instant. Better safe than sorry.

They are definately checking... and not just during the daytime. welcome.gif

#18 ·
Who needs a license?

In order to fish recreationally for finfish in Rhode Island's marine waters, saltwater anglers and spearfishers must have:
  • A RI Recreational Saltwater Fishing License, or
  • A National Saltwater Angler Registration, or
  • A recreational saltwater fishing license from a reciprocal state
Licenses can also be obtained, anytime, via the license program's online service here, as long as you have a credit card. Licenses may also be obtained at participating bait and tackle shops. Some of them may accept a cash payment from regular customers.
The cost of the license is $7 per year for RI residents and $10 per year for non-residents. A temporary seven-day license is also available for $5. The license is free for anglers older than 65 and for active military personnel who are stationed in Rhode Island. Mastrati says no license is required of anglers under 16 years of age, for anglers fishing on licensed charter and party boats, for anglers who are on leave from active military duty, and for anglers who are blind or permanently disabled.
The new license program is designed to improve the quality of marine recreational fishing data. License fee revenues cannot be used for any purpose that is unrelated to RI marine recreational fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.