Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Gus Gustafsons Lake Norman Fishing Reports
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 AM

Sentiments dear to angler hearts
These quotations capture the feelings experienced by most
GUS GUSTAFSON

Fishing quotations are found printed on plaques, hats, shirts, and even on large popcorn cans. Some quotes are quite humorous. One was a bit lengthy.
? The person wearing the T-shirt waited patiently until all these words were copied. "Give a man a fish and he has food for a day. Teach a man to fish and he has to buy rods, graphite reels, monofilament line, neoprene waders, creels, tackle boxes, lures, flies, spinners, worm rigs, slip sinkers, offset hooks, Gore-Tex hats, 20-pocket vests, fish finders, radar, boats, trailers, global positioning systems, coolers and more."
? Ladies, beware of what you might find in the refrigerator. "Give a man a fish; he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will find bait in the fridge."
? Wives and girlfriends might or might not appreciate this one! "Gone striper fishing, be back some day."
? On a cold winter day by the fireplace, a lot of men are thinking about what they would rather be doing. "Wishin' I was fishin'."
? Another thought for a wintry day: "Well stocked rivers, lakes and streams -- these are a fisherman's favorite dreams."
? This one reads like something on a chalkboard in a football team's locker room. "Life is like a game, but fishing is serious."
? In a world of restrictions, this one brings great comfort to me. "There is no limit to how many times you can go fishing."
? This must have been written by a person in financial despair: "I spent most of my money on fishing. The rest I wasted."
? Finally, an all-time favorite! "To fish, or not to fish? That's a dumb question."

The Hot Spots of the week are the edges of major creek channels on both ends of the lake. After the early morning shallow bite, stripers are suspending off creek bottoms. Down lines with shad, trout, and white/chartreuse jigging spoons are catching stripers. The lake level is down 1.1 inches from full pond. Water surface temperature is in the high 40s and low 50s. The past week striper fishing was very good. Bass and catfishing has also been good.
Tips from Gus
Boat wakes and motor noise can cause stripers to go deep and stop feeding. During the high boat traffic of the holiday period, seek out fishing holes where there is little or no boat traffic.
Gus
Gustafson