Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Introduce yourself .....

Tags
introduce
14K views 83 replies 61 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
OK the sight has grown quite large and some new members may not know who is who....Seeing as we are on the dawn of a new year lets all get aquainted/reaquainted...

I am the infamous Roccus,my given name is Joe, I fish the area surrounding the Merrimack river and plum island from the state of Massachusetts....

I was born into this world one snowy February night 49 years ago..
I grew up the son of a farmer and heavy equiptment operator,my mother was a seamstress, I grew up hunting and fishing, i shot my first buck at age 9... I am a life long mechanic and carpenter,if I cant fix it, I build it... I have NO knowledge of computers... I fake it! th_icon_loll.gif

I've been a lifelong Redsox fan, I became a Patriot fan about 15 years ago.

I am the father of 4 and grandfather of 2 lovely little girls, thanks to my son Joe, known on the board as JB24

My fishing began on the concord river where I caught hornd pout,eels and pickerel, I began trout fishing the streams with my dad by age 4.

As a teenager I fished for largemouth bass EVERY summer evening... until I discoverd stripers... by age 14 they became an obsession that has never waned all these years.. I think I've caught stripers just about every legal way there is to catch them.... tossing eels is still my favorite method.

In the winter I icefish, tie flies and make plugs , trout are my favorite targets through the ice, with smelt a close second...

I've met with and fish with some great people on this board, I'm sure there will be others.... now the rest of you know who I am!

tight lines
Roc

See less See more
#27 ·
I'm Buster, yes thats my name. I grew up in the Bronx fishing out of Westchester Square off a boat called the Joy.

I'm 49 years young, married with three grown children and 3 grandchildren and another due this October.

I'm a Operation Manager for a large energy company in Poughkeepsie, NY.

I live in a town called Port Ewen in Ulster County.

My sons Duane (a member of 247) and Albert are my fishing partners. Together we own our boat.

I got hooked on striper fishing through my brother in law, I caught a 40 pounder on chunk herring and have been looking for another 40 pounder ever since.

We fish the stripers hard till the mid part of June. After, we fish many upstate lakes for small mouth, large mouth and land locked salmon and trout. In September we had to Lake Onterio for Salmon.

When not fishing I'm riding my motorcycle. headbang.gif

I'm a die hard bow hunter, I love to plink at the gun club with my pistols.

I also like to golf, I'm terrible at it......

I cant remember how I found this sight. I want to tell everyone
"Thank you" :notworthy: who has helped me with everything from boating, to how to fish with eels, to trolling. The knowledge I have received from this forum is "price less". thumbsup.gif

#28 ·
NORTHMAN!! good to see you here!!..

Jigman here, fish-o-holic.. don't care what it is as long as it pulls the other way.. use to fly fish exclusively til I learned better thru carpel tunnel and rotorcuff issues that I manage and deal with.. still enjoy the flyrod and tying, but don't search with a flyrod anymore.. learned jigging through a good friend and never looked back.. without question, the best way to score big in almost any condition going... thumbsup.gif

be the jig

Dick

#29 ·
Hi everyone

My name is Pete.I live in central NJ(Hazlet).I was born in Hoboken.I am 36 married with a 4 year old boy. I fish from keyport to sandyhook. I am new to striper fishing but not fishing in general.I was a wildlife volunteer for 5 years with NJ fish and Game so Conservation is important to me.I am also a self proclaimed chef and currently enrolled in culinary arts school.I got hooked on striper fishing When i was fishing for fluke and caught a bass and was awed by the raw power of this fish.I have yet to get my first keeper.I also enjoy fresh water fishing .I hope to learn from everyone here as i am getting addicted to the sport.

#30 ·
Nu2 from Cincinnati, OH

Hi all, Jeff from Cincinnati, Nu2Stripers.
I go by LittleMiamiJeff on www.ohiogamefishing.com
Found this site looking for hybrid info last summer/early fall, I've fished on and off for the past ?? 40 years, never been an expert at it, but love it just the same.
You guys at Stripers247 have me up all night dreaming about screamin' reels, I've gone through 2/two Shimano baitrunners now, gave one away to a brother at church. I have Cardinal 700 series salt water reel, Shimano baitcaster reel, and don't even live within 1000 miles of salt water! :)
I've got it bad. :)
I did pick up OK 15 Prowler fishing yak thanks to you all, (I'll give Riddler some credit, though he's on another site these days.)
I'm the father of two that live in Bel Air MD with their mom, my wife has two daughters that have given us 5 wonderful grandkids!
I'm a Jesus Freak, we helped start a church, Bread of Life Christian Center close to 3 years ago, www.breadoflifecincy.org
Good to meet you all, tight lines and screamin' reels! thumbsup.gif

Jeff

#31 ·
Hey there, just signed up this morning and been poking around a bit.

Been fishing stripers for quite a while around Boston, mostly marshes and Rivers, from the bank, when time Permitted. Schoolies on Small mouth tackle was fun as a kid and beyond.

Get in the Harbor when I can, and to the Canal more often than that.

Prefered method is the one that works on any given day. Hope to add Eel skinnin' to the repetoire this season.

Build my own rods, though not anal about it. Have some fine store bought. Though can't bring myself to throw a fly I did not tie.
Can't wait to try some lures I think should work that I have made up.

Moved from the South Shore to Somerville a while back. Gotta get out and prospect for new spots. Looking forward to that.

That's it in a NutShell.

#32 ·
Luke de Araujo
25 years young
West Orange, NJ
Freshwater addict (passaic river, lake parsippany, lake hopatcong)
Started surf fishing last year ( liberty state park, bay head)

Still waiting for my first cow!!!!!!
This site has opened my eyes to alot of new ideas!
Thank you gentlemen! :cheers:

#33 ·
Hey there,
my name is M.D JEHAN i live in dubai but i was born in bahrain i used to go fishing with my uncle when i was a small kid (happy memories) lolz
but i stoped since he got married that was 13 years ago :bigcry: today i went to buy a guitar and i had some extra money so i went to a fishing shop and bought a rod (very cheap 1) :lol: and i live near the sea so i went to try the rod but there was a problem i dont know how use 1 th_icon_loll.gif i had a really tough time so i came back and searched in the net and found ur forum and i hope that ull guide me and teach me how to us it dink.gif

#34 ·
Madoo, no stripers where you are. Here's a list of fish that inhabit your waters.....Grouper, Queenfish, Mahi Mahi (Dorrado), Longtail Tuna, Giant Trevally, Spanish Mackerel & Snapper. Sailfish can be caught between October and May. However, my guess is that you'll need a boat for most of these saltwater fish.

Shore fishing provides you with barracuda, big saltwater catfish, and various species of shark, including the Guitarfish. However, I'd be a little careful plucking its strings, it's from the shark family and looks like a cross between a skate and dogfish. :lol:

#35 ·
Hello I am new to the site & fishinig for stripers. I live in Mass fish the rivers and marshs. Trying to learn to jig. it is a bit rough when you do not know what you are doing. :bigcry: hoping maybe some one can help guide me in the right direction.

Sheldon

#38 ·
sorry i didnt see this earlier, school and baseball(im on 3 teams)has kept me off.
im andy,im 14, and live in noe calinuh(north carolina for u up north happy3.gif ) i was actually born in seattle washington, and lved in sandpoint idaho until i was 7. i had always fished with my grandad every once in a while, but never really got into it until my dad got a boat 2 years ago. now fishing ends up in everything i do. i live in the middle of north carolina, and the lake i live on is the only lake in the us with a self sustained striper population. promblem is, that because of this the state doesnt pay much attention to the stocks in our lake, and the stripers have almost dissapeared due to a man illegaly dynomiting and selling the fish. anyway, because the stripers dont really run till mid- winter, i focus mainly on offsore fish(60 miles off in a 21 foot center console, crazy, but pretty damn fun) because of the traditional fishing/hunting bond, i got my first shotgun the year we got the boat. its a 20 gauge, and ive killed everything from deer to turkey with it.

#39 ·
Hey All
ScottyMack from Hampton N.H checking in, wanted to say hi
Do alot of my fishing out of the Hampton River Boat club, but have had fun casting off the local beaches too.
New to Kayak fishing this year, fishing from a Heratige Redfish, looking forward to hooking a sriper from this, will keep you posted.
Glad to be part of the group, ordered a couple of the hats, love them,
Good luck and tight lines.

#40 ·
hey y'all
Stephen from Alabama here, although I've recently relocated to Atlanta with my wife. Throughout the course of my 23 years on this earth, I've fished mostly largemouth bass, catfish, and brim. I've made several excursions to the ocean where I've encountered some of the larger varieties of fish. I'm a graduate student studying to become an archaeologist (no I have never dug up any dinosaurs, nor found any gold), and love to do anything outdoors (biking, shooting, fishing, hiking, or swimming).

#41 ·
anyone else?
Bump

Im Jim and I live in eastern Pa. I Grew up in Staten Island NY fishing Great Kills, and NY Harbors,
and for LMB, Cats and Carp in Wolves pond, Clove and Silver Lakes.
I made the mistake of hooking into a huge striped bass one December night many moons ago near the
Verazzanno Bridge that changed my fishing forever. I've been avoiding blue fish eversince. Now its pretty much strictly stripers. I've been trying to figure them out ever since.
The web site went up before the forum around the beginning of 2004
We began with a free brave net forum then switched to the
phpBB board in March of 2004.
Here is the original board as it looked on the March 04 wayback machine
and again 7 months later in October 04
It pretty much looks like it does now.
Heres a rather embarrassing http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.stripers247.com/
look back at the evolution of the site through my self taught web design. Despite those shortcomings it served us to this point in our development. It has been awesome in some ways and at times frustrating but through your efforts we can be pretty proud of our development to this point.
A big thanks to the veteran and founding Members for helping us get to where we are.

#42 ·
Aw what the heck I might as well join in here too!. I am Warren I live in Central New Hampshire. I fish for stripers when I can. I am a welder & heavy equipment mechanic by day and that keeps me busy. My friends & I fish from the Piscatiqua to Naraganset bay. Stripers, Blues & SBFT, mostly on the fly. but when that don't work, out comes the trusty Penn Slammer thumbsup.gif

#44 ·
bump

The history of phpBB boards
built by James 'theFinn' Atkinson in July 2000.
Interesting story.
We use the latest version of this board.
It now has many different skins and features and mods.
More are being utilized and built daily by different programmers.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=135543#135543

#45 ·
Hi, my name is Kurt and my story a long one, some might say long-winded! I am 49 years old and getting ready this summer to turn 50 and was worried I haven't had time to do all that I wanted with my life. I haven't even fished in the last 4 years!!! That is really unlike me, my mother thought I might be contemplating suicide! That just isn't me though, I figure if I do it right, I might have another 25-30 years left before I get too decrepit to be able to fish. I got alot of making up to do along that front. My job is paying me O.K. enough to maybe make a couple of cheap trips across the country once in awhile to seek out some fish I've never had the priveledge to fish for. I've never fished for or caught Stripers, but have always fantasized about catching them. Another fish I would love to fish for are Redfish down south in Florida. I love to fish, but don't really care about eating them, sure some fish I would love to try, but for the most part, I'm in it for the fight. I grew up in the Midwest and fished for Largemouth Bass most of the time, which I think are pound for pound some of the best fighting fish alive today! If the Stripers are everything I know Largemouth's to be, then I will be in for an awesome fight! Most of my time in the last four years has been devoted to trying to get out of the "Rat-Race", I've made several decicions both bad and good pertaining to investments and have come out somewhat behind the 8-Ball!!! My dream is to make enough to be able to retire on and never have to worry about money again. So I may just have to worry about where I will fish next. I have redcently become involved in Solar Power for the United States, with no investment required of your own. You actually rent the equipment for the same rate you currently pay to your electric company for up to 25 years locked in!!!! If you have any questions about this, just drop me an E-Mail and I'll give you all the information you can handle.
Right now I work for the State of Washington as a traffic systems technician, and I actually love the job, but will gladly trade it for being finacially independent, that way I won't have anything holding me back from fishing all I can for the rest of my life! I am quite adept at fishing for all types of salmon, Largemouth bass, catfish, bluegill, crappie, and will love to be able to add the redfish, Stripers, bonefish, and anything else that puts up a good fight. One fish I'm just starting to learn is the Walleye, which I'm told are the most delicious fish out there today. Wondering if any of you might agree or disagree, I've never had Walleye yet, but in the next few months, that will change. I'm very personable and excited to talk to all of you and be able to call you friends, I look forward to seeing you in the forum as well as on the water, if you've read this far and aren't yet sleeping; thank you very much!!! I will definitely keep in touch and let ya'll know of my future exploits.

Kurt..............:cheers:

#47 ·
hello.gif Hello, Everybody! My name is Jon. I'm happy to have discovered this forum. It looks like there is an interesting variety of people here. I'm 49, and I live in Louisville, KY. Guist Creek Lake has been my main fishing spot until now, but I and my Better Half recently bought a boat, and there are a lot of lakes in Kentucky to fish in, so we're anxious to branch out. We've caught small hybrids while fishing for other species, but this year I'm going to start targeting them. Can't wait to catch my first lunker!

#48 ·
Name is Dave. Good to be here, finally got connected to the information superhighway. I'm born and raised in Oh. I love to hunt my 55 acre farm, and chase hybrids on the ohio river. I am new to the striper scene, I've fished Raystown Lake 3 times for them. A good friend turned me on to hybrid fishing and I haven't been the same since. I am looking forward to talking with and learning from you all. Thanks again happy3.gif

#51 ·
Hello

I am rather new to saltwater fishing. I am building a 22 foot center console boat for fishing in the Cheaspeake. It should be done by spring. I look forward to learning from this board and possibly meeting people in the area.
We can't wait to catch some fish!

Kingfish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.