Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018 STRIPER REPORTs

129K views 303 replies 66 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
** SHOW EM' IF YA GOT EM' **

Post any 2018 Striper Reports and photos here. Hope to see a bunch of HAWGS.
Feel free to include county or general area, No need to give up specific spots or honey holes.

Please try and limit it to just reports & congrats.

Thanks and good luck all !

#92 ·
Killed it today fishing out of newburgh. Fished from the bridge to dennings point from 630 to 10 am caught a few keeper size then we moved south to the island looking for a better bite. We found some big schools but nothing really huge yet. We couldnt keep a baited hook in the water. Left the water at 4. Finished the day with 55 boated ranging from 18 to 36 inch up to 18 lbs. All males caught and the fish were running in circles.

#94 ·
Just docked to drop some people off.....we fished Marlboro up to IBM and smoked em today......ended up with 36 fish up to 30". Bigger fish have moved in and are feeding. The bite was a bit slow from 6am to 2pm but we marked tons of fish. As soon as the Flood tide started so did the feeding time....at times it was like a chinese fire drill on the boat. The fish were more aggressive today hitting from 18-22 feet down. Some buddies of mine boated several fish from 39-43" just south of Trap Rock tight to the east side. Slack tide seems to be the most aggressive bite. Tonight as the Ebb tide started the bite died as quick as it started and the fish dispersed. The fish flow was steady in pods but no thick solid schools. The am temp was 54 and went up to 56 and now is 53. Heading back out to see if we can hit some bigger night fish.

#96 ·
Fished 6.5 hours in Catskill this am. Landed a 37" on chunk. Nothing touched live. Its been a slow run for me and most of the regulars that I know. Hopefully things pick up before my vaca ends.

#97 ·
Marlboro was good today..we ended up with 33 fish up to 39.5" and 5 over 20 lbs up to 25 lbs. we even caught a 25 lb slob female on an eel off the bottom in 32 FOW. We had seen tons of large marks on the bottom but no luck getting em to bite so we took a chance with an eel and that is what she wanted. The rest were caught on bloods. Today ebb tide bite was hot into slack but the wind kicked as the flood tide began and there was no northern drift so the bite died. Water temp was 53-55.

#98 ·
Some pics from the last few days. 3 of my buddies who joined us the last few days all got their personal best Hudson Stripers.

Attachments

#99 ·
Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum. Also new to boat fishing for stripers, rookie. Fished off shore for 30 some years. I’ve been fishing the hell out of Haverstraw/Croton area since April 1st with all other boats out. This past Saturday it was like a ghost town. Looking for a little advice. Is continuing to fish this area a waste of time at this point or can it still be good? Should I move north some? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,92

#110 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. Also new to boat fishing for stripers, rookie. Fished off shore for 30 some years. I've been fishing the hell out of Haverstraw/Croton area since April 1st with all other boats out. This past Saturday it was like a ghost town. Looking for a little advice. Is continuing to fish this area a waste of time at this point or can it still be good? Should I move north some? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,92
You arent alone, I fished the Croton area this weekend as did a few of my buddies. Lots of hours fished with no results, not even a run. I dont think it's a waste of time, I dont think the run has really hit high gear yet. my theory is the bigger fish are holed up south of the tappan zee waiting for the water to get a little saltier. The guy I get my bait from hasnt really gotten any bunker in his nets, and his bycatch of stripers is basically non-existent (which is a good thing, but means the fish arent really in thick yet). The big cows always follow the bunker upriver. A few days of no rain will hopefully allow the salt water to push further north and the big fish should follow

#114 ·
You arent alone, I fished the Croton area this weekend as did a few of my buddies. Lots of hours fished with no results, not even a run. I dont think it's a waste of time, I dont think the run has really hit high gear yet. my theory is the bigger fish are holed up south of the tappan zee waiting for the water to get a little saltier. The guy I get my bait from hasnt really gotten any bunker in his nets, and his bycatch of stripers is basically non-existent (which is a good thing, but means the fish arent really in thick yet). The big cows always follow the bunker upriver. A few days of no rain will hopefully allow the salt water to push further north and the big fish should follow
Thanks, for the advice. I will be out there Thursday and Saturday. Should I fish the flats or edge of channel? And I have one more Rookie question. How big should I cut the chunk bait?

#102 ·
I've thought the same thing many times...although listening to him and some of the other hardcore guys on the radio have led me to believe I need to seriously upgrade my fishfinder. I hear them talking about seeing schools of fish, individual fish, how big they look, which side of the boat they are on, which direction they are moving, etc.....I look at mine and all I see are freaking arcs....

Doc - ever think of making a training video of how you decipher what you're seeing on your fish-finders and putting it on YouTube or something? I think that would be real informative....I've been listening to you guys taking on the radio for the past couple years and am dying to know what you are looking at and how you make sense of it. I have looked on YouTube for info like this, and really didn't find much. Mostly promo vids from the manufacturers that just cover the basics. Just a thought....

#104 ·
Fish finder is not my issue have 2 sweet units, is everyone using bloods thats my first question? Second i see guys trolling with downriggers. What are they trolling for lures? Im used to spoons for salmon. Just wondering if I should try that since im having no luck with bloods

#105 ·
From what I have seen / read over the years, it seems like 90+ percent of fish caught in the Newburgh / Marlboro area are on bloods. I know some guys do fish with live herring down here but I think they are the exception as opposed to up north where everyone does. When I first started this a few years back I tried bloods on two rods, and chunk herring on the other two, and never even had a bite on the chunk so I don't even bother anymore just stick with the bloods. I'd love to try live but dont have to patience to spend precious time on the water catching bait when I could be fishing...maybe when I retire...happy3.gif

#107 ·
Yeah im from the albany area and all we use is herring, ive been making the trek to newburg every weekend ( last 3) and its been a challenge for me to hook up. Getting my bloods at river basin in catskill. Using a 7/0 circle 2-4 oz on slider with a 4' flouro leader. Basically same setup i use up here but with worms Seems i have to stick 2 worms on to cover the hook they seem small compared to what ive seen on line. I was changing bait every hr too. Spent half day Saturday in Newburgh half in marlboro right with the pack of boats in each place and not even a bite ugghh. Makes for a long day. Im die hard and will be back down there friday and sat. I know the devil is in the details just hoping someone can point out that detail i seem to be missing

#109 ·
I know sometimes it isn't anything you're doing wrong, it's just bad luck. But I almost never get completely skunked if I put in more than 4-5 hrs. Some things you might try.

Vary depth of your bait anywhere from 12-20'. I have 2 hooks on each rod separated by about 2'. Try different water depths. Don't assume that because you're close in with other boats that it's a good place to be. Use your finder, move around.

I also tried hanging a silver flasher with a read bead above my hook on one rod. It was getting more hits than just plain hooks on the other rod.

It also sounds like you got a bad batch of bloods. You should never need 2 to cover a hook. Good bloods look like small snakes. Sometimes if I'm stuck with nothing but tiny blood worms I'll add a crawler to the hook.

#108 ·
Put in another 6 hours this am. Bait was still very easy to scap. Ended with a bunch of cats, 3' eel, 29" on chunk and a 30" on live. I shouldn't complain since I put fish in the boat, but man it's slow out there.

#116 ·
Fished Friday Saturday and Sunday . Out of Kingston area . Friday was tough with the wind . Didn't get anything . Fished first thing Saturday morning with good results boated 14 fish on the outgoing tide all on chunk. Back in for bait during the incoming. Headed back out for the second outgoing in the late evening and fished til about an hour after dark only fed the catfish. Back out early Sunday morning. Boated 6 more fish all smaller schoolies. Fished 5 rods with chunk and one rod with bloodworms on Sunday picked up two small fish on the bloods ... fished off anchor all weekend and fished mainly shallow flats less than 10' of water. Biggest fish was 33" out of 20 fish for the weekend . Headed back up for this Friday Saturday and Sunday, fishing out of roundout. Wondering if fishing live herring would help pick up some larger striper or if the pigs just haven't arrived yet

#118 ·
Just put in another full day from 7am to 10pm in Marlboro and ended up with 35. The morning bite was great till about 10am on the Ebb tide then it slowed till around 6pm. The Flood tide was tough as there was no north drift due to the volume of water coming down the river which canceled out the incoming tide.....basically 3 hours of spinning with a nasty northern cold wind. The end of the Flood into Ebb tide again was great in front of the Rock Plant. Most of our fish were in the 20-33 inch range. Water temp was 53-55 degrees. Today we finally marked a thick school traveling north but they wanted nothing to do with feeding. We also started catching more striper from the Delaware/Chesapeake strain. A few more days for the masses to arrive and it will explode down there. We saw some spawning this evening in front of the Rock Plant. Unfortunately these eggs will not survive the cold river temps but every year there are a few early spawners this time. The males were spewing like crazy. Work tomorrow then back out for 13 straight days of fishing.

#119 ·
Some pics from today.

Attachments

#120 ·
Went out Saturday. Have never seen so many boats in front of Trap Rock, (rock plant) that you are referring to. We ended up floating live herring and bloods from the Diamond point reef buoy south. Missed the Ebb tide and I think that killed us. No bites. Went North and fished just south of Norrie Point but only managed one at 19" Two other drops but nothing of size.

Frustrating. Back out this Saturday and all next week Took the week off.

Doc, thanks for the posts and all the tips you give Really helps.

Do you ever float your live herring and bloods or are you anchored?

Thanks again

#126 ·
Went out Saturday. Have never seen so many boats in front of Trap Rock, (rock plant) that you are referring to. We ended up floating live herring and bloods from the Diamond point reef buoy south. Missed the Ebb tide and I think that killed us. No bites. Went North and fished just south of Norrie Point but only managed one at 19" Two other drops but nothing of size.

Frustrating. Back out this Saturday and all next week Took the week off.

Doc, thanks for the posts and all the tips you give Really helps.

Do you ever float your live herring and bloods or are you anchored?

Thanks again
Herring are pretty useless south of Poughkeepsie especially later in the season. I have floated a live herring for 24 hours and cough numerous bass on bloods only to let the herring go. Generally I think they work better at night. Early season the fish that are coming through generally are the Northern fish that chase the herring so you have a better chance. Headed back out tonight for 6 straight days.

#122 ·
hey guys new to the forum. located in the Albany area. ive been shore fishing as far back as I can remember. been using chunk herring and haven't managed to catch much except for some big old cats. I was wondering if anyone had any room on their boats. would be more then happy to contribute to expenses. I have all my own gear. Thanks fellas

#123 ·
Fished from 7-1:30 north of the patroon island bridge. I had one pick up and short run early but that was about it. Bait is really easy to catch and the water held steady between 54-55 degrees. Hopefully when I go back out this evening things will have changed for the better. Catches are hit or miss from just about everyone I've talked to. Catfish are getting greedy and aggressive if the chunks aren't floating off the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.