Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

171K views 431 replies 33 participants last post by  barnfield11 
#1 ·
Hi new to the forum and have read alot of the aqueducts from you guys here, but mainly the southern ducts. Seems like you guys got some good fishing down there. Read striper bill website thanks really helpful and informitive stuff you got there. I used to live and work in the Bakersfield area for a couple of years and never knew about the aqueduct system was only 30mins from me. If I only knew back then, Oh well, at least I can still fish the northern ducts. Any of you on the boards ever fish this area, 132 Maze blvd near I-5 near Modesto, Ca.? If any of you do can you give me some pointers or areas where the big ones could be. I've gotten alot of channel cats there and 1 baby striper last Sunday I was using chicken livers and mini night crawlers thats what I got the striper on. Still looking for more stripers. Any info would be helpful im new to this and would help lots.

thanks.

G
#58 ·
Still on ground laughing and Rolling... Its pointless to ban me.. I have a 1000 email addresses and 7 computers at different sites to register with....

Whos dumb now???

Caught a HOG largemouth last night.. Will post pics soon...

Once I am done laughing at stupid "WORLDS DUMBEST CRIMINAL COMMENTS".. OUCH... HAHAHAHA

I know you can do better than that.. At least other dude banned me...

Not that I really am a poacher just loving listing to idiots ramble on like they think they are better than anyone else.. HAHAHAHA..

Banned Poacher

G
#60 ·
Still here.. You can ban me but I will re-register eveyday... Its impossible.. :)
You can delete my comments..
DONT CARE

I mean really... If I really wanted to I could just not say anything but well..
DONT CARE..

Now Im about to go catch me some FISH :p

#68 ·
I was VERY lucky to be invited to fish on private state property last week near Tracy. The 4 of us caught quite a few fish with most in the 20-25 inch range, some smaller, some bigger. We were using live gobies and I had a blast ! I think I am spoiled now ! We actually ran out of bait at one point.

#70 ·
Were you fishing in the california aquaduct or at clifton court near the aquaduct intake gates ? Live bait i'll have to give it a go . Good catch
We were actually fishing on the forebay exit channel off Clifton Court just before Byron rd. The large fish can`t make it through so they hang out there or have to go back up the channel and then turn right back into the forebay.
My friend was not working this past Sunday so I went to the "public" area on the forebay exit and got skunked !

#71 ·
New to the board.. Found a spot in Gustine that I have been wanting to fish. A spot where the Aquaduct comes from underground and out through what appears a set of gates. You can fish on top of the gates and cast into the middle of the canal. Would a surf leader with 2 hooks and a bottom weight be my best bet.? What size sinker should I use..Any advice would be much appreciated. If anyone is wanting a fishing partner, I'm open..LMK

#72 ·
Lucky dog .... only wish I could get out there . From the public side they use remote control boats to haul their live bait to the other side where i've seen some quick bites ,haven't seen anyone brave enough to send a boat too far down the inlet . Good to know I have not jumped the fence on the other side of Byron road for nothing LOL .

#76 ·
haven't posted in sometime ,been busy . But the last 2 weeks on the cali aquaduct has been pretty good . flow is slow and have been catching cats around 4 pounds and lots of stripers around 17 inches using hair raisers at about one ounce with a red head. best results in a long time between Tracy and the truck stop at Grayson. Anchovies have been hitting a lot more than shad. Just landed a 26 inch striper in the san joaquin at Lathrop sunday. more reports soon

#78 ·
traveled down to bakersfield this week for work and made as much time as possible to fish .Tried at twiddelman rd and had no luck on bait or lures . next day went to west of buttonwillow and had the same no luck on bait and lures. Stooped at grayson rd on the way back up I -5 and landed 7 stripes between 12 inches and 19 inches on a 3/4 oz hairraiser within 1 hour.

#80 ·
no luck on anchovies or shad recently . latest reports from the guys at work is that their biting on red worms and chicken liver. It has been cold in the mornings here ,starting out at about 28 degrees with the highs around the upper 40's . has anyone seen this pattern of the stripers going from cut bait fish to more bloodier baits when it turns colder ?

#82 ·
LOTS of action in tracy area . 17 inch and 3 15 inch and a 19 inch stripers in 2 day after work plus a 15 inch cat all from the same spot in the cailfornia aquaduct.There must be a car down there that is holding the fish since they all seem to come out of a 20 foot area .Will not be fishing in the next couple of days but will hit it again soon. chainsaw2.gif

#83 ·
This is my first post i want to say how much i enjoyed this thread. I fished the ducts back in the 1970s we fished with 6' rods and Mitchell 300 reels (i still have mine), surf leaders, two hooks and a one once sinkers. Once in a while we would fish Carolina rigs. For bait we would use cut bait anchovies and Sardines and fresh clams. We caught a mostly catfish along with some small to keeper size stripers. I have not done a lot of fishing sense the 1980s. Now that i am retired i want to fish the ducts a lot this year. I look forward to trying lures and free lineing chicken liver. I all so have learned about float rig that lets fish any dept in fast moving water. If anyone is interested i will post how to rig it. I live in Manteca so i want to start fishing in tracy and work my way south. Thanks for all the info everyone.:sign4:

P.S. was that Powder Bait for catfish your friend was fishing with and what did you think of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.