Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

California Aqueduct Information

149K views 212 replies 41 participants last post by  blown383 
#1 ·
Guys,

I live in the Antelope Valley, and have fished the aqueduct locally, but with little success. I have been told nighttime is best, but I have also read that recently it has been hot out by Bakersfield near Taft.

Does anyone here have any real-world advice about where, when and how I can have some success here? Please let me know, I am an experienced angler, but this is a new place where you can waste a great deal of time if you are not in the right place, at the right time.

Thanks,

Nuts4Stripers

#2 ·
Re: Aqueduct Information

bakers field ( taft ) is a very good spot.
reports ( last years ) of stripers to 30lbers are caught.

im on the 138 (silverwood area ) and fish the aquaduct once in a while.

BUCKTAILS
GOLD COLOR BAITS
SMALL CHADS ( SWIMBAITS)
OR PLAN OLE CHOVIES.

#5 ·

I fish the Aqueduct regularly around Bakersfield an Taft. I was just out last week and saw a baby frog floating along in the early mornin. Big mistake cause before I could toss a net and grab him a striper nailed him hard. I should of matched the hatch that day. Anyways, one of the best well known spots for some big striper is just down from the Buena Vista elevation pumps off of Golf Course Road. Either way good luck out there. Tight Lines :a_goodjob: Jon S.

#6 ·

There is a place that has some huge stripers for the catching. ... Edited by baitrunner. Location information too specific please no spot burning here, thanks...if you want good fishing be prepared to walk. This place is further than the golf corse at Buena Vista but I find that area to be very crowed and over fished quite often (thousands of people read these posts and overcrowding at your spot WILL happen if you post directions that specific) . Oh, and if your out alone commin up on sundown watch for the coyotes. Good luck.

#7 ·

I went to three rocks .. caught nothing. tried. pile worm. night crawler.. anchovies. got on hwy 5. exit los banos to san luis resort . right where the lake meets the aqueduct. i fish pass the bobber a little. caught a 19" and a 18" . two days later my friend caught a 21" and 2 more 20". On night crawler. :whistle::banana:

#9 ·

Nuts4Stripers,hello.gif
I was reading what you had posted and just wanted to let you know that the aqueduct was blue stoned last year here in the Antelope Valley, which means they were killing the weeds off the bottom and sides. It does mess it up for a while but I have seen the bait fish back in there lately, so that is a good sign and the water is clear now and not murky. Also a friend of mine caught a striper just the other day. It is getting better but may still take some time. I have always found fishing before the gates and after the gates is real good the striper love the fast current. The bends are good too! It is being at a good location at the right time. I always fish with lures but do at times fish with bait with the wife. Catfish you know eat anything, but the stripers like the flashy lures, although using anchovies, mackeral, night crawlers and chicken liver work good too!. Well hope this helps you. I would just hang in there and don't give up, and work an area good. wave.gif
Striper Bill

#14 ·

Hello Dodoman and Nuts4Stripers, and everyone else
Don't remember how to put picks on here! I was trying to show the striper I caught last night. I figured it out. Went up to the Aqueduct last night late and it was calm and real nice l was up there for about 1 hour or so and caugh this 4 lbs 10 oz and 22 inches long Striper with a lure jigging it. The lure looked like a shad.

http://www.aqueductfishing.zoomshare.com/:tools:album?ctx=Striper%20Fishing%20Now%21&go=proxy:album/Striper%20Fishing%20Now%21/images/cff9484e1900bd05753862abd9190983_12169806420/image.jpg

#19 ·

StriperBill said:
Hello Dodoman and Nuts4Stripers, and everyone else
Don't remember how to put picks on here! I was trying to show the striper I caught last night. I figured it out. Went up to the Aqueduct last night late and it was calm and real nice l was up there for about 1 hour or so and caugh this 4 lbs 10 oz and 22 inches long Striper with a lure jigging it. The lure looked like a shad
heres the pic bill and a link to the water shortage thread you sent me that every southern Californian should read.
Thanks.
jim
http://stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?p=94999#post94999
Fish Fisherman Recreation Ray-finned fish Fin

#20 ·

Thanks Jim,
Dodoman, thanks for the invitation I will try to make it but can't promise. I have been busy Mary and I painting a 4 bedroom house and real busy with React which is Radio Emergency Associated Communications Team. The Earthquake Country Alliance has organized a simulated 7.8 earthquake November 13, at 10:00 am. The whole Southern California will be participating in this drill so we have to be prepared for the big one to come that we are over due for. This drill is the biggest in U.S. History.
Please read about it on http://www.shakeout.org :hot::usa: last time they had a lot of drills 9-11 happened. This is for all to read. Keep on fishing and rod tip up and tight lines. How far is Skinner. Just for future references how do you put on pic's on here?

#23 ·

hey all,
havent logged in in awhile but just wanted to know bout the delta fishing? Is it all its cracked up to be. I have herd many stories but never any pictures.
just wanted to know if its worth the trip up.

thanks alot to any feedback good or bad,
tight lines,
n
good luck,
oh n bye the way to anyone new on the duct
the only bait ive ever hit stripers on would have to
be chicken liver. couple weeks back threw out anchovies bout 20 minutes
no bites. put on chicken liver threw in the same spot within 30 seconds fish on!!!!!!!!! so if your not haven any luck give it a try.th_thicon_peepsofa.:
OH YEA IS OVERNIGHT CAMPING ALLOWED AT THE DUCT?
CAN YOU HAVE OPEN BBQ ALSO?

#25 ·

Hello everyone!
Just wanted to post my striper I landed 8-5-08, 6lbs 12 oz 26 inches long. Landed it on pearl Rattle Trap a 3:00pm. It hit hard and what a battle for a small fish, it hit like it was starving here in the area and they are not as much stripers as last year. It was a female, had long egg sacks in her but no eggs just like others I have heard and seen.:cheers:

Attachments

#28 ·

SUPER HOT, HOT ,HOT WEATHER.LOL
the fishing is at its best.
fishing all night in 112 degree weather to find l.m.b. and smallys loving the live gold fish.
i had a 20lber striper chase my chad swimmy to the rocks. ( did not stick ).
the catfishing out there are huge , i mean 20 to 40 lbs are normal.
couple of 60,s showed up at the b.b.tackle shop.
live large bluegills was the key.

here are a few pictures.

hay striper bill, pack the family and meet us at silverwood for 3 days of camping and fishing.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.