Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - rod and reel for stripers
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Default rod and reel for stripers

I need help deciding how to improve my gear for surf casting for stripers. Currently I think I own a descent tsunami trophy series 10~ pole tstss1002 MH action which can handle 15- 30 lb line and i think up to a 6 oz lure. The reel on it now is a shimano 3500 bairunner with a 14lb /185 capacity. If I want to use mono instead of braided line I think this reel `s spool may be to small. I am wondering if it makes sense to get a different spinning reel . What reels would be ones to consider that don`t break the bank. Most of my fishing will be from the surf or shore using lures and occasionally using live bait mostly for stripers. I could also just stay with braided line on the bait runner 3500 that own ;if that is a good reelfor this type of fishing. Either way I would like advice on spinning reels for stripers. I also own a shakespare custom contender combo with a 7` rod med action with a shakespare reel that holds 20/190 could I use that or is the rod to short for surf casting? Any advice would be helpfull I am trying to get set up for surf casting for stripers! Also what lb mono line do I need for landing large stripers will 20lb mono hold up?