Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

line info needed

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
What do you fella's spool your 525 mags up with? Thanks

#4 ·
Been using Silver Thread's copolymer (mono) 17# on my 525.
Only tried braid on the ABU's and found it not to my liking.
If you choose the braid be sure to keep exagerating the back and forth (level wind) action to avoid "digging-in".
With the super free running spool a larger dia. (bit stiffer?) may help with the over runs and bird's nesting.
Cast softly, then work up. Smaller spooled diameter may help too, don't know.
I'd be interested in your results with braid on this "Master of the Overrun".

#5 ·
ande 17# clear is what i got on my 525. and don;t fool around with the braid (be my guest as i will hear you say down the road "shoulda listened to zim") and you won;t wanna fill the spool either. that reel is FAST! filling it 3/4 of the way is more than enough. with a strong leader 1 brought in a 70+ lb Cownose Ray on that line i tried trilene/etc. hey float, i used the silver thread mono for my penn reels but it freaked me out on the mag so i took it off and out af all the lines the ande is by far the best imo. i did put another set of mags in the reel to slow it down even more but took them out as i was not satisfied with the result. just make sure the setting is correct for you when you cast as you can easily move it up or down without realizing it. happy casting bro!

#9 ·
nah, besides, i don;t use the 525 for bass anyway. i bring it with me when i go to beaches that i need distance and when i go to spots where i wanna reach feeding fish that i normally cannot get to. 17lb line vs 50lb bass around bottom structure ie' ridges/dropoffs/depressions with rocks/ ask jim about cuttoffs and snags lmfao (the spot i was in yesterday is notorious for that as i got hung up once and pulled in someones rig (had a yellow braid sinkerslide on the weight) anyone wanna own up to that? hmmm?hello.gif even by me there are lots of clam and mussels on the beds just aching to cut you off = :whistle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.