Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Favorite "go to " bait

Favorite store bought Bait?

36K views 49 replies 41 participants last post by  vegeta123450 
#1 ·
Wondering what most folks find to be their personal favorite bait.
This is for Casting from shore (any shore) for whatever you fish for.
What bait do you buy the most of?

#33 ·
I had already posted in the past but had been thinking about some things w/ store bought bait or commercially trapped. With much store bought live bait(mostly fish) many are farm raised. A local one being Spot. Granted this fish are fiesty and lively but lack the natural sense that fresh caught bait does.
I would say I've had far better success with fresh caught, properly held and handled wild live bait than I have with either farm raised or commercially trapped live bait.
The reason is very simple. The wild, fresh, strong bait reacts more (goes nutso) when a predator is nearby. Often it's enough to stimulate a fish that's neutral into becoming a biter

This doesn't mean wild bait is always better than farm raised. A poorly handled or rigged wild bait that's weak is likely not as good as a farm raised bait that's in great shape.

By the same token, I would rather have ONE super duper hot fresh live bait than a tank full of lethargic, stressed ones!

With eels they seem to do well no matter how you get them wild or store bought. Above thoughts are mainly regarding fish. So if you have the time and the bait is around toss your net instead of stopping at the store

#36 ·
Local B&T's have been getting freshie bunkers in almost daily. Fresh rocks. As far as the "best" I've ever gotten?... Hands down.... Fresh Sand Eels from Nelson's B&T in Provincetown... It was years back, but the impression is still on my mind. Honestly looked like you could eat them they were so fresh... Stripers loved 'em... that was for sure.

Fortunately... I myself had other choices for breakfast that morning... I believe we had filled up at the "Hole In One" in Orleans prior to that bait run.

#43 ·
I first started surfcasting for striped bass with sand and bloodworms when I was younger. Nowadays I'm an avid plugger and don't use the sands or bloods anymore. I very rarely chunk, but there are certain times of the year when the bass will not touch a plug. When this happens I will chunk, and my bait of choice is fresh bunker. Now My favorite bait to use in the surf is eels. They are readily available and will almost always catch if bass are around. Another reason that I choose eels is that I do not cast them out and let them sit there. I cast and retrieve them slowly covering all of the areas I am fishing at that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.