Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Early Springtime Reservoir Stripers
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:01 AM

Default Finding fish

Hello all Went out two times in the last week. water temp was 46 to 48. Tried casting on points and inlets but no action. Then ran down lines with shiners 10 to 20 ft. no action. I am fishing a small 300 acre lake . Have caught several striper in the 30 to 40 in. range last year and loads of hybrid 20 to 27 in. last year. Ran all over the lake and cannot even find the bait fish . Where could they be .?? The lake is electric only so it takes a while to cover. Is the water temp a little cold yet or am i doing something wrong. I know it is just a matter of time till they show themselves . I usually only catch them in the morning till the sun gets up and then they stop bitting. Then in the evening at dusk . I want to be able to fish longer in the morning . Should i start using umbrella rigs, planer boards, live bait or what. Lake is only at most 35 ft. deep,no curent ,and only one feeder stream.Where the feeder stream comes in the water is only about 2 to 3 ft. deep and very muddy most times. Most fish are caught near the dam in the deeper water. Main forrage is gizzard shad. Have caught most fish on 1/4 to 3/8 oz jig with 5" super fluke(white). Any ideas would be helpful. Thanx in advance Mike