Re: New, Overwhelmed by choices
Hi steel, welcome to the site. I have never fished Jersey (but would like to) but there are a few universal truths in my opinion:
1. bait is always better than lures in the salt, especially for a new comer. also cheaper. get a second smaller cheap pole with small hooks and use it to try and catch bait. fallback is frozen squid.
2. don't concentrate on any particular kind of fish at first, try and catch any fish.
3. if you are fishing from a pier, consider how you lift a big one up.
4. 2 most essential tools: needle nose pliers (from your toolbox) to remove hooks, and a cheap pair of scissors to cut line.
5. bring a 5 gallon bucket, and beer.