Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

New guy here, getting ready for the surf

Tags
guy ready surf
4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  24315 
#1 ·
Hi all my first post as a new guy here. Getting my gear and truck ready to get into some surf fishing on my own. Have fished surf a lot growing up my father was a big surf fisher at Island beach state park. He passed away a little over a year ago and Im very lucky to still have all his custom rods and equipment so Im going to put it to good use. I have 4 custom rods 2 spinner 2 conventional and 4 old school penn reels which I will be saving until I am better at it by myself. We used to throw bunker out a lot and I was wondering what weights I should setup for throwing out. I wanted to get some decent beginner / beater rods of my own to use until I get my casting down better. Id like to get a rod to cast out bait myself.

I know not one rod is good for fishing everything but Im looking for recommendations on a decent starter rod possibly 2 piece and what size reel to match with it. He had an old 650ss penn so Im thinking of ebaying one and then matching it to a rod. Be looking to throw bait for stripers and go after some kingfish and blues when I can. This setup will most likely go to my girl since I am lucky enough that she loves fishing to haha. Don't need anything to pricey for the rod and Im gonna go with some old type of penn reel to keep tradition for pops.

Thanks for helping the new guy.

See less See more
#2 ·
Unsure of what you really need. The 650ss would be fine to use with a ten foot rod which you prolly possess. Sorry about your dad. Perhaps if you like you could purchase another rod. But dont part with your dads stuff. He'd be pleased if you put it to use

#5 ·
st croix is expensive though i just got a 10' ande tournament series surf rod rated for 15-30lb mono matched up with a penn battle 6000 with hi vis yellow 50lb braid and im going to be using it when i can this season but i think its fine for me. Does any one know of some places here on long island preferebly in the direction of orient point or montauk point where you can surf fish free but only needing the saltwater fishing license(which i know is pretty much free if you register and you live here in NYS)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.