Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
15K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
Just curious what modifications you guys do to your plugs??? Hook sizes, hook types, etc... I know some guys remove hooks, or change trebles to siwash.

Any responses appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

#29 ·
Re: Lure Modifications

I would say it depends on where your fishing, around here I fish for STRIPERS, an some time willing to catch a BLUEFISH, BLUEFISH hit a bait from the BACK, STRIPERS hit from the FRONT, HEAD ON. so SINGLE HOOK in back, so you WON'T get as MENY BLUES destroying your plug, with your regular size hook in the BELLY, for STRIPERS. it 'a all up to you what you want to CATCH.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGINthumbsup.gif
P.S. heres a couple of STRIPER PLUGS
WOUNDER BREAD TWINS

Attachments

#30 ·
Figure I'd continue this thread rather than start a new one.

Metal lipped swimmer tuning.
Bend the nose eye up to make the plug dive deeper and dig in harder in heavy surf conditions
and bend the nose eye down to make the lure swim shallower.
I change out all the hooks to 3x strong on the red fins and load them all now.
10ccs of water with a syringe. Im going to load some others with Bbs. and or mineral oil over the winter.

#32 ·
does any body know what size hooks are on the A salt bomber 5" ?
Bomber A-Salt 5 3/4", 1oz, has #1/0 hooks
Jointed 16J . 6" 1oz # 1/O hooks
Magnum Long A 7" -- 1 1/2oz # 3/O hooks
B17A 7" -- 1 1/2oz # 3/O hooks
16A Bomber has 3X strong # 1 hooks 6" -- 7/8oz

Bomber Lure specs
The 17 j and 17a # 3

Attachments

#34 ·
Shallow running lipped swimmers
Cordell Red Fin, Rebel Wind-cheater, Bomber Magnum Long A, Gag's Grabber Mambo Minnow, assorted Yo-Zuri baits - to name a few

Bassdozers Super-Vee Waker.

There is a modification that you can perform on Red Fins that will make them into a special plug - that will make them wake on the surface. I would add that this is especially wicked if there is a flat surface on the water - either flat and still, or flat and moving. It is less necessary to wake the surface when there is swirling current, rain, wind, chop, waves, rips, whitewater, backwash, water sweeping over bars or humping past jetty tips, etc.
But here's something original. You can take some of the plastic lip lures just mentioned - especially the Red Fins - melt the lips and bend them back, thereby making super-wakers! Just take a cigarette lighter, turn the flame way down low, and hold it near the base of the lip where it joins the body of the bait. Better to heat it too slowly than too quickly. This works better on the solid-colored plastics. The chrome-painted ones have a tendency to bubble up a bit. Just heat gently, and use a flat stick like a paint stirrer or straight-edged ruler to slowly bend the lip back towards the tail a bit. Works on the 5 1/2 or 7 inch sizes. This modifed bait works on those super quiet nights when everything is flat and during those first and last hours of the tide when everything is moving slowly. This one almost twists and turns in place, causing explosive strikes.

#35 ·
modifying Excalibur Super Spook hook size for stripers

I just bought 3 of these in a bleeding shad pattern to try out as fall approaches the So. Cal. lakes. I've read a few things regarding removing the stock hooks are replacing them with 2x hooks a size larger. I've also seen the tail hooks replaced with single hooks, both bare and with feather. What do you do and why to optimize a large stick bait for striper action?:dizzy:

#38 ·
Re: modifying Excalibur Super Spook hook size for stripers

I have a medium weight Shimano rod with a Shimano FX FB series reel rated for 4 to 8 lb test (loaded with 8lb mono). I think the 5" Super Spook is about the largest lure I can get away with considering the weight of the rig I'm using. I have a salt water rod I can use if I purchase a larger spinning real suited for heavier test line, but I do like to go with as light of tackle as possible. The lures are in the mail at this time, but here's a pic (#52). They're 5" lures that come stock with #4 freshwater hooks. I'm thinking I can go a couple of sizes larger on the forward treble hooks, but can't decide whether to go oversized single hook or treble on the tail (feather or no feather?)

Attachments

#39 ·
Re: modifying Excalibur Super Spook hook size for stripers

thats a striper killa alright. ( 52)
as a suggestion, if you put a heavier hook on front , it will not float well.
on a good note, you,ll have a better wake.

stripers like water commotions.

also, remove the center hook.the rear single bucktail ( with feather ) is a great idea. I LIKE IT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.