Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Bugs and Bass Great Bay 2008
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Lunker

Default Re: Bugs and Bass Great Bay 2008

08/06/08
Tonight was my first trip to the Rock Weed Beach. Just missed high tide.

I cast up and down the beach on a falling tide.

Wish I had caught a fish. [img]
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...miles/fish.gif[/img]

08/07/08 The Maa_ssshh
Took a coastline cruise this evening. The high tide made the rocks treacherous. The debris was in the first wave.

So I headed to the Maa_ssshh.
The tide was moving out. The baitfish were tight to the creek mouths.
Saw a few fisherman throwing chunk bait. Headed back to the truck for the secret weapon.

I found a shortcut creek on a tight bend. The bait was in heavy They were tight to the bank.

The first cast produced a bump. The second cast and a striper laid on shore.

08/09/08
Got a chance to share the lobster line with my good friend mmskunk today.

Skunk has a buddy who butchered a stud boar pig. The results were not palatable. Hence lobster bait.

We caught a very small lobster today.

It could have easily been mistaken for a crayfish.

The water was stained brown from the excess of fresh water entering the Bay. We boated five keeper bugs today with only Sealure for bait.
Looking forward to next week check. Maybe the lobster will have a hint of pork flavor.

My wife told me they would squeal when I banded them.

A couple good friends sharing a pub brew on Great Bay. Thanks Bruce.

Just give me a hook and an eel.

08/09/08
Took a ride down to the marsh tonight. The bait showed up at sunset.
I am a boat striper fisherman at heart. But since a few forays with MM, SCS and 24/7 members I am taking a liking to surf-casting.

I know my chances of landing keeper fish are slim in the local creeks I have been fishing. But the challenge is the finding, not the catching.
In my youth I was a hook and worm trout fisherman. I am finding those skills acquired years ago are paying benefits as I explore the Maa__sshh and shoreline.

I was at the marsh at 7:15 last evening. I saw no bait. I almost didn't fish. Then just as the sun set to the west I saw the bait being pushed up against a steep banking. There were no top water signs of bass crashing bait. But something was making the silversides nervous.

The photo is proof they were there. I look forward to future exploration.
I will be joining my wife at their family reunion at a popular Kittery, ME state park today. You can bet my personalized Great Bay rod and I will be there flinging eels into the surf.

My new Great Bay rod has been a giant asset in the marsh. Thanks David at Great Bay Rod Co. and MM for the gift.

The stripers had the bait fish up against the bank. I changed the menu. Just give me a "hook and an eel".

08/13/08
Mow the lawn or go fishing? Hard choice.

Took a couple guys from work with me tonight. Watched a boat catch a keeper with tube and worm. The eels didn't perform tonight.

I never wet a line tonight. I had more fun trying to get them to catch a fish. They were good students.