Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Slim Beauty Knot / Fg - Sebile Knot - for Mono to braid

44K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  StriperJunkie 
#1 ·
#31 ·
Re: Slim Beauty knot

Nice looking knot but I don't like the tags. Too much to get hung up if pulled into rod or reel. This does work for braid though as some had questioned. Another knot to try is the FG or Sebile knot, this works great for backing mono to braid or for leaders as there are no real tag ends to get hung up on and they are stong as they come.

The following is a copy from somewhere on the net but I also had the same results using 30lb Power pro to 30lb big game

These were all tested with 65lbd Power Pro to 80lbd momoi diamond mono....

Albright knot- broke at 50 lbds at the knot.

Uni-Uni knot- broke at 55 lbds at the knot.

Sebile knot- broke at 70 lbds and this was on the power pro portion that wrapped around the post.

Results- by far the Sebile knot is the best connection that we have found for braid to mono....Other than that, we will use crimps on all other mono's over 80lbds...

#33 ·
Hello Men,new to this but i see i have lots of good people to learn from.I've been tying knots for the last few weeks and saw the grinner & double grinner knot. Finally got it right and i like it.Been using double uni to connect 20lb/pp to 20lbbig game mono_On the business end i've been using improved clinch.Seemed to work good but,mysterious break off at braid at uni.Couldn't tell if it was the knot or the line.That's why i'm looking at different knots.I've checked out the modified albright knot.I like that also.Are these knots versatile between thick&thin braid&same for mono.I'm all ears Thanks.:usa:

#34 ·
some people can't get the knack of tying anything other than a uni knot "grinner same thing". most clinch/cinch knots are not braid friendly as they can slip. if you HAVE to use those knots - get some pliobond (loon knot sense is also an option) and hit the knot with that after you've tied it. it will help on smaller fish but CAN still fail over time.

#35 ·
Thanks for the reply.No,i don't have to use those knots.There the only ones at this point i know.I'm just into this a year.Fished with one person the whole year.He taught me what he uses & that's what i been using.I'm open to any info regarding this matter.I hear about all different knots & how the all work so good.I realise that every knot has it's place[maby].I'm looking for oppinions on what i'm doing or using so i can learn.Maby the time will come when i can get good enough to be able to fish along side a good fisherman.I 've been fishing a 7ft st croix triumph & a US-240sx with pp-20 with 20big gamemono 18" leader in back rivers around where i live.There's a herren run in one and the other is always been a hot spot at certain times of the year.Now i want to do some surf fishing or chunk off a boat.I need some help knowing what knots to use & what to use them with.I'll ask what to use them with another time.That's another subject.See,i don't know if what i'm using is what i'm supposed to be using.I only learned about these different knots when we got this computer,not to long ago.It's my quest to learn.Iff i don't give enough info for you to be able to answer my question just have patience i'm trying.:usa:

#38 ·
OK guys went to other threads and read what you had to say about knots i was in question about.thanks for the info.now i'll try the simple simon to connect braid to mono and the improved clinch to attach mono to coast lock or plug.I was having trouble with the knots i was tying i thought.As i tyed these new knots and tested them we found the line had numerous weak spots and kept breaking.Changed line all's fine for now.Keep it simple,good advice.Thank you for the help. Doug:usa:

#39 ·
doug, remember that the simple simon has to be done perfectly over and back. if your using larger braid and larger leader A. you have to back down to like 6 or 7 turns as it gets harder to get it right. and B. always use pliobond to seal it after you lock it. if for any reason you don't think it was right (and even if fish are jumping in front of you!) retie it as your first instinct will have been correct. if you master that knot. and master the uni. and master the albright "in a clutch knot" and master the palomar.. then you can safely fish with confidence. there are a few others important like the dropper loop which is a good thing to know for attatching a teaser while plugging. there's a surgeons knot which can be useful if you break off large amounts of line and need a quick fix if your lucky enough to retrieve the lost section. (rarely the case and not worth the hassle unless your ill prepared with no extra line) wonderful stories i have of splicing line as a youngun. practice frequently on line left for dead and just take excess line with you to practice with. even a simple snell knot will tax your memory in the beginning.

#40 ·
Zimno,Thanks I've been practicing those exact knots plus a few others like the Sebile and double grinner.I remember you saying the uni & grinner were the same knot.I study these knots while tying and when complete i look at them under an eye loop.They look similar when done but i see a difference in them.Really like the ones you mentioned.Tyed a few on my setups, NOW the countdown is on.Ready to get it on.I remember a saying from long ago. NO MISSION TO DIFFICULT :usa:.Thanks for all the info you shared with me and all the others that come to this forum.America's Finest.The best our country has to offer.Always there when you need them.Thanks again Doug :usa:

#45 ·
lmfao:lff3:
i've not been in service for some time now. i love these guys and thier history of service. i put our motto up and never took it down again. i'm proud to have served and i applaud your patriotism. guys are litterally in harms way and most americans seems to take that for granted. you may fish with us when you come. let us know when you'll be around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.