Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2009 is a wrap...

Tags
2009 wrap
6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  chunkster 
#1 ·
It wasnt a bad year, it wasnt a good year... and the local weather conditions had alot to do with it....

It started in April, I removed the deck for my 1978, Jon dory yellow tail, between bouts of rain , i fianly got the deck up, refoamed the bulwarts and installed a belly tank and deck...the early weather was the harbringer of things to come..

I launched the boat the last week in May to reagdy myself for the spring cod and haddock run on the inside, a relentless N/E wind and intermittant rain kept me close to home... the pattern continued unil July, the river was a sea of mud, but early on the fish dindt mind, when the fog lifted, the fishing was good, alot of high teen and low 20lb class fish invaded the river and provided good sport, by the second week of June, a small school of large, from 35-50lbs proweld the river on select tides.. dispite muddy waters, the fishing held until mid August.. Coalman got a nice tagged striper , the biggest I have ever seen a tag in...Daytime fishing was good, the fish were smal and 10lb class
bluefish made keeping a mackerel alive and in one piece impossible... the water remained stained and muddy ( the bait tank water was from 2 miles south of the river in what shouldhave been salt water)..
It was a banner year for bait, which at times made the fishing a challenge, whales and seals hung close to the pods of mackerel and herring.. pogies were hard to find and all but non existant...

the best fishing of the season came on the September full moon... the majority had moved on before the end of the moon cycle..

there was a small spurt with the October full moon, but it was short lived.. the fish had become very spotty and came in spurts, it was the classic " you should have been here yesterday" type fishing.. which , for those that cant get enough .. is still going on.. just be prepared to take a fish every 1000 casts or so...

On Sunday the 11th, I headed out to groundfish to fill the freezer before the winter... 5 miles out I was slogging through 3-4' waves and it was getting ugly... i called it a season and hauled the boat.. Monday, I winteirzed it and covered it ... now it's plug making time

A note on the pictures, the dates on these pictures are rarely correct, everytime I charge the camera battery, my attempts to correctly set the date seem to fail, most times it just goes to defalult.. these are all from the 09 season.. all bass were released and are in noparticular order. the cod and haddock.. not so lucky.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd have to agree with the "you should have been here yesterday" motto, throughout the fall run we were constantly being told.."you should have been here yesterday man, we were killing em" But none the less we caught fish and had fun, but next year i plan to be out SO much MORE seeing as i will have my license. Awsome pictures too.

#11 ·
Quiet Hours NYC- Again, according to local laws, quiet hours in NYC are from 10 pm to 7 am. There can be fines in place for those found violating these laws. Any New York resident will tell you, however, that the city is always alive and mostly always full of sounds.

I was working nights and SHE would deliberately make loud
noise in front of the window. I woke up and felt sick.
She’s F’n laughing and now I’m F’n crazy!

Not one ticket. I didn’t park at the pump. I was to close.
I got towed. The aggressive tow law

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.