Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Shore Fishing Reports, Albany and Beyond

15K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Jumpingjoe180 
#1 ·
Headed out tomorrow , Albany area, one rod and wayy too many jigs.
May do some Chunking (Ewww!!) but , it is what it is ,
This is proly just gonna be a River Report , I just hope that the River has calmed down some , its gonna be a Beautiful Day !!:mental:

Reactions: rogerruff7
#3 ·
What’s up. My friend, I’m sitting here now just below the 378 bridge South Troy, Lots of Herrings and Cormorants eating all that they want, Troy Dam has small hold overs.
Saw plenty of boats and looking as though people were having a great day on the River,
Water is still very high even at low tide.
Don’t know the exact temperature of the river but wading was fairly cold after standing up to my hips for 20 minutes intervals.
Just great to get back into the fishing area and casting

Reactions: rogerruff7
#5 ·
Yes the Herring were all over the shoreline and Cormorants were having their time with them , I thought it was Carp for a bit but not,
I enjoy watching the water for Loong periods of time and in one spot just sit there eating a sandwich .

Cormorants came in Very close to shore for periods of time before boats came up and they flew off but only to come back and chow down 80 ft. from shore.

I actually watched Herring kicking up the silt just feet in front of me just South of the 378 Bridge (South Troy) 18" of water doing their "circle dances"
I dont really know the water Temps as of today but , This season "could be a Fast one " up here Albany area ??
It happened a few years ago , and we were like , "What just happened " !!
did we miss it !!!
But Wait, along come Another Huge school of Stripers as well as the Herring just a week later , a lot of people missed a Great week,
I think that was 3 years ago .
Gotta Love Mother Nature.
This was the Albany area from where I fish (Corning Preserve to the Dam)

#9 ·
I've been so involved with my last few weeks of this College semester.
Couldn't get out but, some of my friends I've talked to (South of Albany) have said some good things of Chunking (Shore) and some Really good fish.
I've also heard some good things as far up as the Dam , Not really knowing myself , but I do believe the Honesty of these guys.

Please dont Storm the Dam and expect results, its a Tough place to fish and there are MANY places to fish well Before this area.
Learn the River , You Arent "Chunking" at the Dam. Its all about "Jigs".

If you do decide to go to the Dam , "Watch" the people fishing , see what they are doing ,and "respect " their area. Fishing in a "Line" has Many priorities.

Using the "right" gear here is Essential. 10' poles , 2-6oz wgt. 40# Braid may get you into the action , as well as ANY water at this time .

These fish are VERY Fragile , and should NOT be succumbed to an "Overfight"

due to under-weighted equiptment.

So good luck to all , there are Lots of Herring in the water , and they are coming, (Stripers)

This May be our Last year Spring fishing for a bit , so lets do our BEST to Catch and Release properly .

<*)))><{
<>< <><

#12 ·
Hey Guys and Gals,
Sorry , Ive been Soo enamored with my Finals for college I haven't been able to get for some Shore fishing , But.. I have very good reports of fishing from just South of Albany and up to the Corning Preserve area ,
The Fish Are still here !!! and with the River Temps it seems like we will still have a couple of good weeks , … possibly.
Shore fishing has been well for chunking Herring and Bloods South of Albany and a few decent size fish caught on Paddle Tail jigs , All from shore !!

Weather permitting (Rain ) I'll be out Saturday (hopefully/ at least ) as family is coming in from Florida , and I'll be fishing through the night south of the Dam (also some good reports)

So , Good luck to all , and remember , Be safe and have fun , all that happens after that is …

We still have time , and if you dont think so ….

Attachments

#13 ·
Nice fish Fysh. The other day I fished from shore a few hundred yards above the Rensselaer boat launch, there is a path and then through the woods to the shore. Nice gravely spot north of the power lines with many herring if you cast way out. No bass but a big cat and a very nice spot. Here is the cat.

#16 ·
Yes , Finally got out today and enjoyed my First day in Weeks after Finally passing my college Finals .

Saw many people out , especially the ones who pulled up in front of me while I was fishing from shore below the 378 bridge,

It must be Embarrassing to have to Teach your son that it is "Proper Etiquette" to pull your $20,000 boat up in front of a Shore Fisherman , while having 2 miles of river in each direction to fish. I mean , I wish I had pics , I was casting beyond them as they were approaching the shoreline directly in front of me .

What a Joke , I mean , you could Plainly see me from 200 yrds. away !!

So, to the question .. there are Tons of Herring in the river Albany area ,

and as long as there are / is food they will stay , I'll be fishing it for the next two weeks Easy

#18 ·
Were they setting up and fishing or jigging bait?

That stretch along those rocks seems to always produce herring when you can't get it in the main river. It's obviously a very long stretch and it's easy to avoid an area where people are fishing from shore. At the same time if that's the only spot to get herring (i'm thinking of off the Poesty when they first arrive) it seems like boat guys shouldn't be expected to avoid the only area with bait.

I don't have any issues with any of it and try to avoid all conflicts with other people - on shore or in a boat.

#21 ·
Were they setting up and fishing or jigging bait?

That stretch along those rocks seems to always produce herring when you can't get it in the main river. It's obviously a very long stretch and it's easy to avoid an area where people are fishing from shore. At the same time if that's the only spot to get herring (i'm thinking of off the Poesty when they first arrive) it seems like boat guys shouldn't be expected to avoid the only area with bait.

I don't have any issues with any of it and try to avoid all conflicts with other people - on shore or in a boat.
This was below the 378 Bridge , stopped right in front of me ?? I coulda jumped in their boat. There was a mile of river each way with nobody around . Rensselaer side . Unreal chainsaw2.gif

#22 ·
Again I have been able to get out for just a few hours and have met Soo many people from just North of the Corning Preserve to just shy of the Dam .
Today was met with two back to back 28" fish and just when I thought it was gonna be a banner day it stopped . I switched to chunking from my usual jigging banter and caught 8 Cats , just one after another just below the 378 bridge .
There are Soo much Herring in the river now Albany area and Shad , "yep" caught some of them also , that the Bass are not going anywhere too soon .
It may be quick but I think we have another good week of larger fish still looming .
Rain and water temps have been fluctuating and a lot of bass are just "Hanging " with all of the Herring and baitfish in the area.
Because of this last semester of school I have only yet Begun to get out , But you know me , I'll be fishing for 'em till September and racking up my numbers !!
Let Us know how you are doing on Any Shore Fishing Reports ,
They are Still here !!

#23 ·
Such a Great Day today, not just fishing but because of the people I met on the River and this Is what it is all about, especially for me .
Loaded up my Bike and went to the Bruno Wall in hopes to meet some people I met last week and what happened was just so great .
I was watching the River and the Early incoming tide and was met by some people who were relatively new to the Spring fishing experience.
I had my ODM Rod and a Shimano Long Cast reel worth $1300 but just decided to watch the people trying to catch Herring and offering some advice on just how to do just that .
Now most people had sufficient rods but I asked a few to try my outfit after they saw a few casts , None would , but they Did listen to some of my strange wisdom of Why and how Stripers do their thing on the river , and Tide changes etc .. I also helped a young lad with a Herring rig which he had tied a Rock to the end in hopes to entice a Herring , I quickly removed the rock and tied a 1 oz. sinker to that rig and told him how to cast and retrieve it .

This was met by an immediate Herring , I also told him why the Herring rig was beneficial and what it represented to that Herring , he was soo thankful .

I guess what I am saying is that it isn't just the catching so much as the understanding and helping others who are just coming into this fantastic sport.
There was also a lot of questions of Catfishing and Walleye , but generally I hoped that I could clear some of those also .

My day ended with one small 24" male below the 378 bridge and just soo much gratification of helping a Great few people get some opinion on the "Hows and Whys" of what to do .

Please share all you can to all to help build a better fishery and better relations with all who enjoy this sport !!

PS.

I'll try to leave out the part where the guys in the $30,000 boat pulled right into the Poestenkill(Bruno Wall ) and basically moved 4 guys fishing for Herring right off the corner , yup they sure did , And there was a young girl in the boat learning that Fishing Ettiquette , like I said I wont get into That conversation.

#24 ·
Such a Great Day today, not just fishing but because of the people I met on the River and this Is what it is all about, especially for me .
Loaded up my Bike and went to the Bruno Wall in hopes to meet some people I met last week and what happened was just so great .
I was watching the River and the Early incoming tide and was met by some people who were relatively new to the Spring fishing experience.
I had my ODM Rod and a Shimano Long Cast reel worth $1300 but just decided to watch the people trying to catch Herring and offering some advice on just how to do just that .
Now most people had sufficient rods but I asked a few to try my outfit after they saw a few casts , None would , but they Did listen to some of my strange wisdom of Why and how Stripers do their thing on the river , and Tide changes etc .. I also helped a young lad with a Herring rig which he had tied a Rock to the end in hopes to entice a Herring , I quickly removed the rock and tied a 1 oz. sinker to that rig and told him how to cast and retrieve it .

This was met by an immediate Herring , I also told him why the Herring rig was beneficial and what it represented to that Herring , he was soo thankful .

I guess what I am saying is that it isn't just the catching so much as the understanding and helping others who are just coming into this fantastic sport.
There was also a lot of questions of Catfishing and Walleye , but generally I hoped that I could clear some of those also .

My day ended with one small 24" male below the 378 bridge and just soo much gratification of helping a Great few people get some opinion on the "Hows and Whys" of what to do .

Please share all you can to all to help build a better fishery and better relations with all who enjoy this sport !!

PS.

I'll try to leave out the part where the guys in the $30,000 boat pulled right into the Poestenkill(Bruno Wall ) and basically moved 4 guys fishing for Herring right off the corner , yup they sure did , And there was a young girl in the boat learning that Fishing Ettiquette , like I said I wont get into That conversation.
Ive fished that area in my initial attempts...years ago. You did a great thing for that kid, now he'll pass what he's learned on to his friends and it'll be more enjoyable for all of them.

#27 ·
I know it's a long shot but any fish in the Troy-Albany area?
Catfish laughing7.gif

I fished this past weekend and couldn't keep the cats off my bait. At one point I doubled up on cats.

I had a couple live herring out the whole time and no stripers on that but the cats even hit that.

Tried again this morning with the same result but i'm sure there are a few fish around still.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.