Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

should I buy a boat with a really small livewell?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Shaug 
#1 ·
Over the past several months I've greatly narrowed down my boat choices and I'm getting really close to buying. My #1 dream boat is a Parker pilot house style and I'm pretty sure that's what I'll get. It has a nice open deck for fishing and I can always put a portable livewell on deck when I need it. Well, I do have one more center console boat on my list. It's a 20' Sea Hunt and I really like it - except that it has a small, useless livewell, "32 quarts". The good things about it are: I can get a brand new boat for the price I'd pay for a used Parker, it has a step down console with plenty of room for a porta-potti, it has a t-top and a top speed of 50+! How important is a big livewell? Does anyone use a portable livewell on this size boat? Any pics?

Thanks
Jay

#4 ·
Think of the boat as a tool to bring your livewell to the fish - if the livewell isn't so good then what's the point of the boat.

Greatest boat I've ever spent much time on was a dump. I used to piss the owner, my buddy, off to no end by calling it the Scow - he hated that.
But the boat had a pumpless wash through livewell system that could keep bunker alive for days and days even sitting in dock. The thing was amazing.

#6 ·
JCV, Two years ago when I was in the market for a new boat, I did find some great deals at the shows. However, have you considered buying a used boat? I found that buying a boat a couple years old that still has warranties on it saved me thousands. This would be the year to do it, tons of people are unloading boats these days.

#7 ·
JCV.
I bought a used 20 CC Sea Hunt last Spring, used it all season and loved it.
Worked well for the family time as well, so, served a dual purpose.
For fishing it was great, handled rough sea's well, went off shore a few times during good weather.
Mine has a 150 Yami four stroke, was very fuel efficient as well with a top speed of 48 MPH.
My live well is small, but did the trick, you can always buy a portable unit if you need one however.

Good Luck!
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.