Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

plugs

Tags
plugs
6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  JakeF 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am new to the site. I rather fish than surf the net, but this is the best I can do for now.

I am planning on investing in some plugs for the upcoming season. Any suggestions on some good plugs to start filling a bag with? I have a Gibbs Danny Surface Swimmer, some Bomber Long A, and not much else.

I have fished my whole life, but I am just starting to get more into plugs. Also, what are the easiest plugs to fish?

Thanks- I look forward to sharing my knowledge and learnign from you all.

#2 ·
I like Atom striper swiper and creek chub striper striker for some of that good ole fashion topwater action. Good luck on your decision!:Sailor: I also just bought some more bomber a-salt poppers from cabelas for season. I got one in black for night and one in a chrome/blue color. These are some nice pencil popper type lures.

#5 ·
Bucktails, bombers and pencil poppers will cover the entire water column and do it well. Learn to use those then start branching out.

#6 ·
I obviously like flies these days, but when I need a go to lure on the surface, I still like the Storm Rattlin' Chug bugs. i usually turn to the blue/silver pattern first.

When the schoolies start coming in, I will start with the smaller one... its like 3 1/2 inches or so long. I usually have to put 3X strong hooks on it to hold up to the abuse.

Once the big boys start playing, or the top water is choppy I pop the same pattern, but go to the 15/16 oz size.

My luck with them was on and off for a while, but I wasn't expanding my reach to get where the fish were. Once I got a game plan together, and spent a couple of weeks trying new waters, I always felt pretty confident that if there were hungry fish down there, I would at least get a hit, or a swirl or two even when fishing was slow.

Mostly use them later in the season though once the water warms up a little bit. I LOVE seeing the water explode, or hear that sucking sound when they slurp it in.

#8 ·
I usually use live or once alive bait :). BUT, two lures that work best for me are a 5/8 No-Equal Hopkins and a Rapala CDMAG11RH(plastic bill) when they school up. The hopkins will flat out cast on 8lb(they are always too far when they break) and the Rapala must run just under the schoolies because I usually catch bigger fish than my buddy throwing a topwater, but you can't replace the excitement of a striper hitting a topwater!

#9 ·
My friend, the plugs you mentioned are ok. Most use them. Get some Kastmasters or Hopkins type metal lures. Some poppers, and bucktail jigs. About 2 oz's, works well for me. But eerything depends on the conditions you are fishing. Beach, bay, outflows, jetties.
I like metal lipped swimmers, like a Danny, but some swim deeper. I also like darters, Get some of them, Super Strike makes a decent plug.
Enjoy the season. thumbsup.gif

#10 ·
Anyone still use the cotten cordells? I'm a newbie, and trying to keep costs down as I start up, until I know what I'm doing. I got an 8ft Daiwa combo to start and looking to load it with maybe 20# line, maybe lighter for shore/surf
I can't get out late at night for the biggies, so I figure I'll wait before I invest in a long rod.
Thanks,
Jeff

#11 ·
Hi Jeff, welcome to the site!
I have a chicken scratch version that has caught a few fish, but I really haven't used it much. It's listed as one of Field & Streams 50 best lures along with the comments pasted below from their article.

Cordell Red Fin
The 7-inch, 1-ounce Smoky Joe-"color Red Fin is a striper killer in both fresh- and saltwater. Retrieved slowly, it runs a slow, wobbling surface crawl just like an injured baitfish. Or you can trick it out: Drill a small hole in the top of the plug between the eyes. Inject 10 to 12 ccs of bunker oil or other liquid fish attractant. Seal the hole with epoxy. The now-weighted plug will cast farther, run deeper, and smell like bait. Pretty nasty, huh?

#14 ·
Thanks Baitrunner, Jimmy Z and Stormcaster!
Appreciate the advice.
I saw a video on one of the sites on how to load a redfin. I hope to get some experience and then start picking ups different plugs and lures.
I hope to head out this weekend. I am on Noreast and I see a lot of action on big Blues and some Keepers. The boats are definitely hitting the big Stripers but I'm focusing on the shore and will settle for some throwback schoolies!
Everyone here is excited about the Fluke opener today here in NY! 20.5" minimum but the boaters have been throwing back keepers all week.
Thanks again!
Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.