Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Surfcasting tips for Block Island

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
I am a newbie to surfcasting all my fishing has been by boat. I am going on vacation to Block Island for a week the end of August. I would appreciate some help as to where to fish and what type of gear I would need to fish from shore. I have a Penn 750ss spinning reel loaded with 30lb. power pro What size rod do I need? Do I tie directly to thee ppwer pro or should I use a leader and how long. Any and all info greatly appreciated........Thanks Bill

#2 ·
Hi Bill welcome.gif

Bill the rod would be a function of what you will be throwing.
Bait, weight, casting distance, lures and what have you. You would want to balance a Penn 7500 on a 8 to 10 foot Medium rod rated 15 - 30 pound test or 1 to 6 ounces or somewhere like that. You could use it on a bigger stick. Suprizingly it weighs 25 ounces.
Some tie directly to the lure and others will use a leader. When bait fishing I use a flourocarbon leader 18 to 30 inches..
I have yet to fish Block Island by surf but in his book 'Striper Hot spots', Frank Daignault regards the whole south shore as one big hot spot.
According to him there is some readable water in the day time and
you can catch fish on poppers, but at night the real fishing takes place. Especially in the fall. Spots are gaurded with high secrecy. thumbsup.gif

His tip. Call Twin Maples 401 466 5547 for an island overview.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.