Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Newbie question about the difference between surf rod brands

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Eel nyut 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and I have been reading the forums and finding answers to help me select a surf rod and reel for stripers and general fishing. I just moved to Central Maine from Virginia, and I am lucky that I can now fish stripers on the Kennebec river three minutes from my house, or I can go down to the mouth of the river where it meets the ocean / Casco Bay and fish the surf, and there are reportedly plenty of other places to fish in between. I had a great trip last July with my brother in law, where we fished cut bait on a fish finder using 9' and 10' surf rods.

My question is, is a $280 St. Croix Avid remarkably different from a Tica rod at half the price, or is it one of those 'twice the cost for 10% better performance' things? Who among you says it's worth the price, and who says no? I would like to own the best equipment I can, stuff my kids will fight over when I am dead, but at the same time I don't want to be a total gear snob. So, what do you think?

Also, how much harder is it to work a 10' rod vs. an 8'? I'm told an 8' will be more than enough for where I am fishing (steep drop offs), but the Southerner in me is drawn to the 10-12' cannons I grew up seeing on the shore.

Thanks, and I'm glad I found you!

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a very broad question - The answer is yes and no.

It really depends on what rods you're comparing. There are some inexpensive rods that are right up there in quality with your bigger ticket rods. Sea Striker comes to mind. I honestly don't believe a St Croix is worth $200 more then a comparable Sea Striker Beach Runner.

On the flip side of the argument, there are rods like Purglas, Zziplex, Lami XRA's that are in another class altogether even when you compare them to the Sea Striker, which, as a plugging rod I really like, or an Ocean Master, a great inexpensive heaver rod . These are definately worth the few hundred extra dollars even though the less expensive rods will get the job done.

Then you have your white Shakespeares, Andes, Shoremasters, Roddys....... Kmart/Wally world rod n reel combo garbage. 99% of these things aren't worth the $20 you'll pay for them. IMHO, these cheapo outfits are responsible for more people getting fed up and quitting the sport than any other single issue.

What it all comes down to is that you don't absolutely have to have a $250 rod. There are rods under $100 that will do all you ask and do it well. Like you asked in your question, quite often all you're getting is 10% more performance for that $150 extra dollars. The big noticable performance differences seem to come when you start hitting that $300+ range (and this goes for reels as well). The truly high end gear is like nothing else and is a joy to fish with. It's like comparing a Chevy with a Jaguar. The Chevy will get you there just as well but the Jag will get you there with a smile on your face.

#3 ·
And if you're throwing bait I'd never go less then 10'. You need the rod length to get distance.
If you're throwing wood I'd never go over 11' (and a lightweight 11'er at that). Plugging with a long rod will whoop you quick.

#4 ·
Sudsy,

I like the idea of a rod I could use for other fishing also, but I am primarily going to use it for stripers and cut bait on a fishfinder. How would you think a Lamiglas XS10MS would hold up to heavy use throwing bait? Do you think it's 2-4 oz lure weight rating would hold up to casting a 4 oz sinker on a fishfinder rig really hard?

While we're on the subject, I am looking at a Shimano Spheros 8000--would that be a good reel to match up with a 10' lamiglas?

Thanks for your help!

#5 ·
The XS 101 MS (same as the 10 but one piece) is my favorite all purpose stick. I've done everything with it from rock hoppin in Montauk to tossing 5 oz and a clam at Sandy Hook.
If you could only own one rod IMHO this would be it.
It casts very well but it's best point is its fish fighting ability. When you're perched on a rock at M with 50 guys around you, you have to be able to put the screws to a fish and bring him under control quickly before 10 other guys are tangled on your line. This rod can do that.

Reels, I'm not a big Shimano fan, at least not their spinning reels, so I'm not the right guy to be asking. If it were up to me, I'd put a Penn 706 on it for plugging and a baitrunner on it (something else I don't know much about) for weight n baitin. Even better, I'd have the rod custom built new concept dual purpose (spinning and conventional use) and use an Abu 7000 c3 for chucking bait and the 706 for plugging. Or, I'd say screw the spinning gear, get the convential version of the rod and put a Shimano Calcutta 400 Te on it, perfect for plugging and slingin meat.

If I could only choose one reel spinning for both uses it would be a Penn 704 with the bailwire attached but with the modification that removes the springs so you can flip the bail by hand, makes it more braid friendly then cranking the bail over.

#6 ·
Well put Sudsy. I went through the penn, shimano, ugly stick bs. Van Staal and lami.....xra or not is something any of us here would fight over for free. I paid out the butt for my set up, thanks DAWN, and wouldn't go back to any other set up. Here is a test to see if your reel is worth what you paid for it. Go out tonite and put it in a salt water river with a muddy bottom. Then in the morning go back and dig it up. Oh, rinse it off in salt water. If you can fish the rest of the year with no problems or tear downs you have a good reel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.