Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Help - fishing off the rocks in Rockport, MA

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  howieinnh 
#1 ·
I love this site! Best site for newbies and all to come and ask questions without the fear of being flamed by the old school (just do searches first).
The surfcasting forum has been my hero. All of the info from the beginners’ clinic and all "101s" have been printed and put together into my own little reference guide that I regularly read through.

Now that I've stroked the egos, here's the question:

In a few weeks I'll be spending a week at a house in Rockport that is right on "the rocks". Big, flat outcroppings that work there way down to the water. Low tide fishing looks near impossible - too much slimy rock to climb through to get to the water edge. High tide looks good.
??? What is the best way to fish these waters ???
It's very choppy with lots of rock under the surface. I'm guessing a surface lure will be my only bet. Something that will swim on top and make lots of "noise".
Suggestions?

With only a week and family in tow, I want to be ready to go so as to not waist one minute.

Thanks very much.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never fished up there but it sounds like Montauk - where we use Redfins, small jigs, and pencil poppers in the day and eels, darters and needlefish at night.

#3 ·
That whole area is very productive, dont overlook the Gloucester shore line either... I spend my fall rock hopping that section of shore line after I pull the boat in October..

Eels tossed in among the pot bouys are a good way to conncet with some good bass,have some unweighted tandem hook sluggos ready as well
, swimming plugs by night poppers by day, the bass are often times right in the rock weed at the base of the rocks...

Keep a few mackerel jigs handy, the Macks and pollock run right into the base of the rocks, if you get one, hook it through the snout and toss it out to swim free.... HOLD ON!

#6 ·
Guys, thanks for the quick reply and info (I was knocked off line for a few days with a bum modem - so Comcast says).

You confirmed what I had thought. Since I'll be working water that is sitting just above big "boulders", I figured that my only shot was to use things that will swim at or near the surface to keep them out of the rocks.
The water seems to be pretty rough in the area. Should I concentrate on using a surface swimmer that will drum up a lot of attention? Any specific suggestions?

I'll definitely spend time experimenting with different things.

How about the live eels. Just hook them and let them do there thing or put a float on the line to keep them out of trouble?

Rod selection? Off the rocks, vs surf, would you go with a 9 or 10 ft surf rod or something shorter?

Roccus - I'm right with you, the beaches up there are the bawlz. If things aren't too busy during the week, I'm hoping to get some time in letting bait soak while hanging with the family on the beach. Also would like to get out at night. Not sure of the parking situation though since the lots all close at dusk. Maybe park in resident parking?

As far Macks and Pollock, I sought the advise of a friend's father who lives on the coast of southern Maine when I was going to be staying up there for a week. His words were (try to picture it with a heavy Maine accent and a pipe hanging out of his mouth) "Yah wannah catch some bass ah, well fahst yah gotta catch yah some pollock, then you use the pollock to catch the bass, ...". I never caught a pollock, but he does swear by it.
Should I use a mack rig to catch polluck as well?

And yes, It's been years since I left LI, but yes, there are parts of the north shore of MA, NH, and ME that I remember to be similar to Montuak. I don't remember the coast being as "bouldery" though. That may be because my mind was mush from the White Castle that we'd buy along the way.

Thanks for all of the advise.
Hoping to share some nice Keeper pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.