Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

West coast stripers

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  gregorjim 
#1 ·
Just found this site. Looks like a great source of info.
I am new to stipers but have done some perch fishing off the beach and caught 2 stripers while perch fishing.
I have a couple of questions, when do they come in the beach?
Second question is what should should I use in the way of lures?
Well maybe 3 questions, does bait work better than lures?
Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
The San Francisco beaches start with a few bass in April at times..These are the early schoolies, usually3-5 pds...Feeding on sand crabs & shiners( small perch)...The main runs were always on Forth of July ! At this time the baitfish have arrived (anchovies, sardines, herring, & smelt),, It tapers off till sept when they begin their trek back to the delta...During the big runs, the bass are caught with metal ( Miki mouse, Kastmasters, Kroks, hopkins etc)) as you can reach the off shore schools of feeding fish...Large plugs are used around the rocky areas early & lateBaitis productive, but you're limited to a given area..With lures , you follow the feeding bass casting ahead of the working birds & Bass below ...These bass usually are between the Golden Gate bridge & Halfmoon Bay beaches, a pretty long stretch of land...Cell phones are a help at this time.
Our fishing has really gone down hill because of the water wars with Soutern Cal growers..The fishing is nowhere like back east or even back in the 70-80s locally..But we're working on it....Jim

#4 ·
Thanks for the info Jim.
I live in Sebastopol and fish the coast up here. I don't remember ever seeing anyone finishing for stripers up here. I have heard of people fishing around Bolinas and Stinson beach area but not up here.
Id like to hear some methods that work in other areas of the country on the beaches and try it here. We fish for perch and catch an occasional striper so I know there are some around.
You guys will probably never hear if I get into them but the help with methods will be much appreciated.

#5 ·
Duster...You're probably using lt gear for perch...Wouldn't hurt to carry 1/2-3/4 oz hair raisers & maybe some 1-1 1/2oz metal in case you see bass feeding..Or anything you can throw to reach them..If theres no bait, then dig for sand crabs..Thats their food when theres no bait around.In the city shallow beaches , you could see them rooting for crabs ec,,Looked like Bonefish with their tails sticking up....Good luck, Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.