Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

John Haberek

17K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
He will be missed. John left a lasting legacy, among surfcasters. A legend among plug builders. You truly will be missed, my friend.
Prayers and condolences to your wife and family in this time of sorrow.

#2 ·
John Haberek founder of Habs custom plugs died unexpectedly yesterday. one of the great plug builders and generally just a good guy.
wasn't sure where to post this but it seemed at home here since
any new england surfcaster worth his salt has fished a "Habs".
RIP John

#6 ·
Rest In Peace Habs.

John M. Haberek Sr.

John Michael Haberek, Sr., 53, of Red Wing Trail, Smithfield, Rhode Island, died unexpectedly on Sunday, September 23, 2007 after having been stricken at his residence and was transported to St. Joseph's Hospital - Fatima Unit in North Providence where he was pronounced. He was the husband of Jessica (Ashworth) Haberek to whom he was married on September 14, 1974.

Born in Norwood, Massachusetts on March 8, 1954, he was a son of Amelia (Piedzewick) Haberek of Attleboro and the late Edward J. Haberek, Sr. He was raised and educated in Attleboro and resided in Attleboro and North Attleboro prior to moving to Smithfield, Rhode Island 21 years ago.

Mr. Haberek was the founder, owner and operator of Habs Custom Plugs in Smithfield, Rhode Island for more than the past 10 years. He was able to combine his love for the sport of fishing with a career and founded his company that created custom wooden fishing lures.

Previously, Mr. Haberek was a self employed lobsterman and owned a concrete company. Prior to becoming self employed, he worked as a heavy equipment operator in the excavating industry and for Rosenfeld Concrete in Milford, Massachusetts.

A true outdoorsman, he was a member and committeeman of the Wallum Lake Rod and Gun Club in Harrisville and was a member of the Wrentham Sportsman's Club.

He had a lifelong love for Labrador Retrievers and was active with his beloved canines in field trials.

In addition to his wife of 33 years and his mother, he leaves a son: John M. Haberek, Jr. of Smithfield, Rhode Island; four siblings: Jo-Ann M. Wall of Middletown, Rhode Island; Michael A. Haberek of Norton; Gregory D. Haberek of Swansea and Michelle S. Carlson of Attleboro and several nieces and nephews. He was the brother of the late Edward J. "Butchie" Haberek, Jr.

Relatives and friends are cordially invited to attend visitation on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 from 4:00 - 8:00 PM in the "Memorial Chapel" of the DYER-LAKE FUNERAL HOME, 161 Commonwealth Avenue (exit 5 off I-95 N or S, go right at end of ramp, ¾ mile on left), Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro.

Relatives and friends are cordially invited to attend the Funeral Service on Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 10:00 AM in the "Memorial Chapel" of the DYER-LAKE FUNERAL HOME, 161 Commonwealth Avenue (exit 5 off I-95 N or S, go right at end of ramp, ¾ mile on left), Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro.

Burial will follow in North Purchase Cemetery, Attleboro.

Children's room available during visitation and the funeral service.

Following cemetery services an invitation will be extended to join the family for a time of continued fellowship and refreshment at a location to be announced.

In lieu of flowers and if desired, memorial donations in Mr. Haberek's name and honor may be made to the charity of choice.

To send the family an expression of sympathy, please visit an on-line register book located on the internet at www.dyer-lakefuneralhome.com.

#15 ·
Habs was a person I always wanted to meet but never did. What's worse is that I had opportunities but let them pass figuring there would be plenty of other chances.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends

#20 ·
I did not have the opportunity to meet him unfortunatly. Rest In Peace!

#22 ·
We are approaching the 2 year anniversary of his passing. I did not know him. I was not even a member of this board when he passed. But I have read and heard a lot about him. There is no doubt he was a great person and friend to many of you. I have been fortunate enough to get some of his plugs and there is no doubt his work was highly exceptional

I can only wish I had had the opportunity to get to know him

My deepest condolences and respects to his family and friends

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.