Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2019 STRIPER REPORTs

121K views 229 replies 42 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
** SHOW EM' IF YA GOT EM' **

Post any 2019 Striper Reports and photos here. Hope to see a bunch of HAWGS.
Feel free to include county or general area, No need to give up specific spots or honey holes.

Please try and limit it to just reports & congrats.

Thanks and good luck all !

#37 ·
Fished from 8 to 1 30. End of outgoing tide. Than incoming. Nothing! Bloodworms. Didnt find as many fish or schools as the last time I was out. Same area, dennings. Even drifted around nbb bridge. Anchored 3 different water depths. And drifted a bunch of different areas. Fish would swim up to our lines and than swim back down. Maybe they wanted sand worms instead! Very annoying day. Water temp was 50 out in deeper water and 52 when we anchored up in 7 fow.

#38 ·
Disappointed to hear no luck on Sunday 4-21, would have thought it would have been good for a couple a fish. Will be putting the boat in this weekend 27th in Newburgh, hope the weather cooperates. Here's to tight lines!

#39 ·
Don't fret about the slow days.............these are still only the resident striper that have mobilized and there will be awesome days when you hit the northbound school with slow days after they go by............the migratory ones are on the way and then it will be more steady.

#41 ·
Was able to wet some lines on Sunday morning, no hits. nothing was marked on fish finder either. water temp 49* be careful out there......a lot of water flowing, ALOT of debris floating from recent rain. Go slow.... the fish will be there

#46 ·
We are on the books with a nice hard fighting female 32" yesterday 4/24. Got the boat launched and set and fished for a few hours till dark. The wind/waves were brutal which shut the bite....there were lots of fish but most were not feeding. We were in Newburgh bay east side just N of Dennings. The fish are here.....saw some big marks......we just need the conditions to improve. Water temp was 52.5. This fish hit very lightly at first and did not run with the bait until I set the hook.........she was mouthing the worm for a while.

Attachments

#47 ·
We went out today and hit the water at 1pm. Got one 21" in Marlboro at slack before flood tide. Lots of fish but scant bite. Ran down to Newburgh and had great screens on the east side but the fish were down low and not coming up to feed. Ran up to IBM for the end of flood into slack and got another 19". The cold water has these fish hitting lightly and mouthing the bait for a while. Back out in the am. Before we left at 8pm...the fish in Marlboro seemed to be getting more active and coming up but still finicky.

#48 ·
Fished from 930 til 5 with the outgoing tide from Troy to south of Albany. Water was muddy but not terrible. Managed to get bait to the north. Landed a 32”, 18” and 28” stripers all at end of outgoing, all on chunk in 21’ of water. Temps were between 49 and 51 depending on where I was. Good luck, with this rain coming, the river is going to get worse before it gets better.

#49 ·
Fished from 930 til 5 with the outgoing tide from Troy to south of Albany. Water was muddy but not terrible. Managed to get bait to the north. Landed a 32", 18" and 28" stripers all at end of outgoing, all on chunk in 21' of water. Temps were between 49 and 51 depending on where I was. Good luck, with this rain coming, the river is going to get worse before it gets better.
Great job.

We got out right around 5 and had 2 herring my friend gave us. We ran north out of Albany up to 378 and drifted all the way back down. Zero action.

I wanted to anchor and use chunk but the current was really ripping even on an incoming tide.

#52 ·
Today was a much better day as the fish are becoming more active feeding. We ended up with 12 up to 36". The key today was to keep the bails closed on the reels since the fish hit quickly but only for short bursts....this help set the hooks. Initially when we left the reels on bait runner setting they would hit with a quick zip then drop it. They are very lazy in this cold water and are not very aggressive. They were also more active feeding today when the current was slow at slack tide....when we were moving more than 1 mph it seemed too fast for these lazy fish. This will change as the water warms up. We fished from Trap Rock to the IBM plant. Most of our fish were on the East side of the channel. There were lots of marks with lots of moving fish....water temp was 54 degrees. The weather was not bad either. Back out in the am.

Attachments

#53 ·
I got the boat dusted off and out by the GMCB 4/25 from 7-9pm. The boat is starting and running smooth now from the new carb and tune up. Thanks Action Marine! I also installed my Lowrance HDI finder from my kayak, so much nicer than the old Garmin!

Took awhile but we found some intermittent schools around 25' western channel edge. Lost a few bloodworms on the bottom bouncer but no hook ups. It was outgoing, I think they were waiting for the incoming tide. Water was at 54-55°F there. Hope to be back out soon and probably up north.

#54 ·
Well...when they say an incoming cold front shuts down the but they aren't kidding. We fished the same area in Milton today and marked LOTS of fish on the east channel side but most were on the bottom and absolutely not interested in feeding. We fished the ebb tide into slack. At slack some fish started coming up to the 15' feeding zone but they wanted nothing to do with feeding. There was a west wind with strong gusts that pushed the drifts west to east all day...not much chop though. Some of my buddies fished the early morning slack before the barometric pressure dropped and did catch a few but then the bite shut right down as the pressure dropped further. I'm guessing the extreme cold tomorrow will keep the bite shut down so we will take the day off and go back out on Monday.

#55 ·
Heres the scoop for today water temp is still 49* was able to boat 8 today ranging from 21”-28” they were hitting really light like a catfish/eel. Was able to get them outgoing and incoming tide, both slacks were dead. Needed to be on your toes, as soon they run. Set hook, or else it was a run drop, was using chunk bait due to water clarity/overcast/rain, luckily the debris from last week have subsided. Tight lines!!! And good luck

#56 ·
Had a good week, 36", 37" and the first keeper of the year this morning on chunk, 27.5". The channel cats haven't been fooling with the chunk much yet thankfully, only caught one so far. Plenty of big alewives in PK & Kingston areas with some small ones coming in as well.
My friend Steve got a nice 37" this morning as well.

Attachments

#57 ·
Well.......when the barometric pressure goes up so does the bite. We planned on taking today off but the rain didn't look so bad and my morning crew did well so we packed up and headed down for the afternoon slack tide and it was well worth it. There were tons of fish and the bite turned on again from slack into flood. Clearly this time of year when the water is cold they do not want to chase their food so when the tide is not moving they seemed to be more active. We ended up with 8 fish up to 31". Two of my buddies did well too...on with a 39.5 26 lber and the other just past slack with a 40" 26 lber. I'm glad I didn't spend the day home...back at it early tomorrow morning to try to hit 2 slack tides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.