Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report

Brinkmans Bait and Tackle
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday May 28, 2010
Stripers were still hot in the river this past week. Myself I was able to get out on Tuesday with my sister who live in Hawaii to show how good the river can be. We fished from 8 till mid afternoon and picked up 17 stripers, 8 catfish, 1 white perch and 8 eels. Most of the fish were picked up on fresh herring that I was lucky enough that John gave me on Monday. Not like last week here we picked up some real nice fish. One fish was 36 inches 20 pounds, one other was a 33 inch about 16 pounds. The rest went from there down to 14 inches. The catfish were all on the small side except for one fish that was about 8 pounds. The eels were all monsters again but if you are hooking them up on 6/0 hooks they kind of have to be big. I was back out on Wednesday late in the afternoon with Helen and my son. We were out way to late but still picked up 2 stripers, 2 catfish and 7 eels. Again herring was the main bait. All these fish were small. Now John was out on Monday picking up a limit of herring in a couple hours. He said the fish were a later bite and once they started everyone was catching them. Back down the river he picked up stripers up to 33 inches and some monster catfish. One fish he weighed was 12 pounds. He was back out early on Wednesday catching 6 stripers up to 30 inches and a bunch of catfish. Now talking to several guys that were out both days I was there were allot of stripers picked up down river. One fisherman had a 4 fish limit in his live well 20 to 25 inches. He was fishing right below the Tacony Bridge and said he released 6 others all keeper size. He also picked up a few bigger catfish up to 10 pounds. He also told me there were several guys fishing the nature center beach and there were over 10 other stripers caught there. One other fisherman I talked to was down by the arsenal catching 5 stripers all under 20 inches. He picked these fish up with bloodworms. Now off the dock at Linden Avenue they have been doing real good for stripers, catfish and perch. The stripers have been hitting bloodworms, clams and herring the best. They said there have been a few bigger fish caught but most have been 12 to 17 inches. They did catch several catfish up to 7 pounds here. Station Avenue has stayed the same with several stripers still being caught with fresh herring. Here they have still picked up some bigger fish in the 30 inch class. Camer Street has also been pretty good with a few stripers and big catfish hitting bloodworms, herring and clams. One real good spot was up around the turnpike bridge this past weekend. David was up fishing with his father catching several stripers from 20 to mid 30 inches. He also picked up several catfish. These fish were all caught with fresh herring. Further down river there were a few guys down fishing off Petty's Island doing very good with herring, bloodworms and clams. These guys have been picking up 10 to 30 fish a day with several fish in the 20 to 26 inch limit. They said there has not been a big fish taken in several weeks. Down around the Commodore Barry Bridge catching allot of smaller stripers but landing some monster catfish. These guys have still been using herring and bloodworms to land these fish. They said most of the stripers have been 12 to 22 inches but catfish up to 20 pounds have been caught. Down in Salem cove they have been catching stripers 14 to 28 inches with bloodworms, herring and chicken livers. But here they are still doing very good on white perch, carp and catfish. The catfish and stripers are hitting the same baits but if your looking for the big perch bloodworms are a must. The carp are being picked up with corn and corn meals. Trenton north was pretty good this past week but here most all the fish are on the small side. The guides are starting to thin out with most of the stripers being caught are 18 to 28 inches. The herring bite has been a day by day thing with one day real good and the next real tough. Again another week it should be all over. I know working 7 days next week this may have been my last trip for river stripers. Smallmouth better get ready!
The upper river for smallmouth bass has been hit or miss. There are several guys doing very good and some are not catching anything. Charlie is still fishing Point Pleasant catching 19 smallmouth bass, 3 walleyes, 9 stripers and 4 catfish this past week. He was out 4 evenings to catch these fish. Baits were minnows, chicken livers, grubs, tubes and crankbaits. Several guys fishing off the New Hope wing dam had a good week with walleyes but none of these guys did anything with smallmouth. Fishing with worms and minnows there were over 20 walleyes picked up by several different fisherman. Down the Yardley area they have been catching more stripers than smallmouth. These guys are fishing before the sun comes up with poppers, Bomber's, chug bugs and shad bodies landing stripers up to 30 inches. After the sun comes up there start to pick up allot of stripers with minnows and grubs. These fish are then 15 to 20 inches. Up at Byran the smallmouth bass were hitting real good for a few guys up in the rock walls. These guys picked up over 35 smallmouth bass on Saturday fishing with live minnows. They also said there were some real nice bass up to 17 inches. They also picked up several catfish up to 8 pounds. Fishing up at the Water Gap the reports for shad are dropping off but the smallmouth bass fishing has been picking up. Kevin fished both Saturday and Sunday catching 20 shad during the evening hours but also picked up over 40 smallmouth bass during the day. He did best with spinner baits, spinners, buzz baits and grubs for the bass with the shad still hitting small darts and spoons. Further up river a customer was looking for shad but had no luck. He told me the fish were swimming all around him during the morning. He did pick up a few smallmouth bass and big bluegills. His mistake was not fishing for the shad during the late afternoon. Up in this section I usually don't start to shad fish till after 4 p.m. He was fishing right below Hankins, New York. Timmy up to Long Eddie has been picking up several nice trout fishing dry flies. He has been catching mostly rainbows up to 20 inches. He said up here the main problem is keeping the shad off the dry flies. He said most night he can catch 5 to 10 shad while out for trout. The lower Delaware has been great for largemouth bass with a nice mix of stripers and catfish for the guys fishing the main river. Rick had a good day fishing the bridges with crankbaits and rattle traps landing more catfish than bass. He said most of the catfish were 5 to 8 pounds. Nice fight on light gear. Another fisherman picked up over 20 bass fishing the rocks from Linden Avenue down river to Pennypack Street. He was fishing Yozuri crankbaits and drop shot Senko worms to land bass up to 3 pounds. He also had several catfish but picked up 5 stripers up to 20 inches. Several guys have been doing great back in Dredge Harbor on smaller bass fishing with plastic worms, lizards, crankbaits and jigs.
Other spots around the area. Noxamixion was real good for John this past weekend. Saturday he found the fish in the same deep water and fished deep crankbaits and suspended crankbaits to land over 20 bass. He said most of these fish were 2 to 4 pounds. On Sunday he went looking for fish in shallow water to pick up allot of fish but all were 10 to 12 inches. He caught these fish with plastic worms. So after several hours he went back out to the deep water to pick up another 8 fish with crankbaits. Here again most of these fish were 2 to 4 pounds. Another customer told me fishing all day Saturday only landed him a few bluegills with small jigs. He fished the lake for most of the day without a largemouth bass hit. The next guy told me fishing right across from the Tohickon boat ramp he caught over 10 bass fishing with plastic worms and spinner baits. Now he said the fish were small but the action was enough to keep him happy. A few other guys have been down fishing in the spillway doing very good with walleyes. They have been fishing at night with minnows under a lighted float. Fall's Township has still been a good spot to head if your looking for largemouth bass, crappies or pickerel. Jim has still been on the largemouth bass fishing with plastic power worms either Texas rigged or drop shot. He also is still seeing plenty of guys working the shoreline catching perch, crappies and pickerel with live minnows, worms and twister tails. The Pennypack creek is starting to get extremely low but they are still picking up trout in certain sections. I seems the upper section has been holding more fish with one fisherman hitting the pools below Pine Road. He has been fishing late in the afternoons with flies and spinners. He said most days he will pick up 1 to 5 fish. He is also catching lots of bluegills and a smallmouth bass from time to time. Up at Lamar Park they are still getting some bigger trout with smallmouth bass, bluegills and rock bass mixed in. These guys are using meal worms, salted minnows, power baits, spinners and shallow crankbaits. One report back from Levittown Lake with this customer up looking for trout only to catch a few largemouth bass. He caught these fish with Kastmasters spoons. Again only one report back from Core Creek with these guys out in kayaks doing very good on largemouth bass fishing with plastic worms, spinner baits and live minnows. These guys have been catching bass up to 5 pounds. Rohm Haas largemouth bass fishing has still been very good with most of the fish small. These bass have been hitting minnows and shiners along the shoreline. There have been several guys this week looking for bigger fish with spinner baits, rattle traps and plastic worms with little luck. A few guys hit Silver Lake catching a bunch of bluegills with meal worms under a bobber. They also have been up to the shopping center lake catching crappies, bass and bluegills. Here they fish early and leave before getting chased. Then they head over to Silver Lake. Now behind Silver is Magnolia Lake which is a much better lake for largemouth bass. But the past couple week I have not talked to anyone that has been there. Several different reports back from Jersey. The guys fishing Union had a great couple of days this past weekend. They are now picking up some bigger crappies trolling twister tails. They are also fishing around the islands with plastic worms for both largemouth bass and smallmouth bass. A couple of guys were fishing Olympia lake doing very good on smaller largemouth bass. They were fishing minnows and nightcrawlers. One report from Lake Hopatcong doing good for largemouth bass and musky's. The said most of the bass were picked up fishing spinner baits, buzz baits and plastic worms. The muskie's were hitting large jitterbugs, monster size spinners and spinner baits and big crankbaits. Now they are saying the muskie's being caught are 15 to 35 pounds. The last freshwater report from Jersey was from the Egg Harbor river. These guys were out looking for yellow perch but only picked up pickerel and white perch. These guys were fishing minnows, shiners and grass shrimp.
Flounder season will open this Saturday and there is allot of excitement stirring to get started. i have talked to so many guys out striper fishing with chunk bunker, live eels, chunked eels, live herring, chunk herring and many other bait to catch some really big flounder. Now they have all been out of season and had to be released but starting Saturday most guys will have flounder on the dinner table. Some of the best fishing for flounder will be in the back bays fishing with squid, minnows, spearing, flounder belly and bucktails. But allot of boats will be heading out front to fish the deeper water for bigger fluke. Here again squid, minnows, chunked eels, strip bunker and bucktails are the main baits. Sea bass fishing opened last weekend and talking to several guys that were out the fishing was great. Now not many guys made the 25 fish limit but most guys were catching between 10 and 15 fish with most fish in the 2 to 3 pound range. Fred was out of Sea Isle fishing for sea bass about 3 miles out and limited out on sea bass with 6 guys on the boat. He said they were stacked up on a few wreaks and were hitting clams and 4 ounce diamond jigs. Nothing really big but they did have several fish 3 to 5 pounds. He will be out for flounder this coming weekend. Up north the stripers have still been hitting good both beach and boat fishing. The beach at Sandy Hook has been very good for Russ who has been picking up several keeper fish with fresh clams. He has had a few throw back but most fish this past week were 28 to 32 inches. another customer John was out on Monday afternoon picking up 4 stripers all between 12 and 20 pounds. He also picked up several flounder fishing with strip mackerel looking for bluefish. Down off Brick they have been catching allot of stripers but here most fish are just short. But in the mix there are several 4 to 6 pound bluefish being caught. Now off shore from Long Island down the north Jersey shore the boats have been doing fantastic on stripers snagging bunker dropping them for stripers. They have also been doing very good on spoons and diamond jigs from 3 to 6 ounces. Here they have been catching stripers up to 40 pounds. Down off Atlantic City they have picked up some stripers in the back bay with bloodworms and cut herring. They say most of the fish have been 20 to 28 inches. Here they have also picked up some small sea bass and blackfish off the jetties. Brigantine north end has been great for stripers and even several puppy drum. These guys have been fishing clams on the bottom. Steve was there on Sunday landing 4 stripers and 2 drumfish. The stripers were both just 28 inches with both drum about 15 pounds. He said most everyone was picking up some kind of fish. As the week went on they seem to pick up even more stripers with a few fish up to 25 pounds. One customer walked onto the beach 20 minutes late for the bite but said everyone had 1 or 2 stripers laying in the sand. He said there were several drumfish caught while he was there but he had no luck. Hereford's Inlet jetties has been real good for blackfish. These guys have been fishing green crabs along and in the rocks of the jetties. Most trips Mike has been coming home with a limit of fish up to 2 pounds. He is starting to see a few sea bass right off the jetty hitting strip mackerel and clams. Cape May Point was pretty good for one fisherman that caught a nice 28 pound striper off the jettie with a bucktails. He was out looking for weakfish. While he was there 2 weakfish were taken with bloodworms both about 3 pounds. The Delaware Bay has been picking up each week for drumfish with now some really big fish caught. One boat picked up over 30 fish with 8 fish over 50 pounds. The big fish of the night was 86 pounds. Several of these boats are fishing for the drumfish at night and have been hitting stripers in the morning and evening. For the stripers they have been fishing bunker and clams. The drumfish have been hitting whole clams. Up the bay they are still picking up stripers fishing bunker and clams both off the beaches and out in boats. Fortasque has been one spot allot of fish have been caught off shore but here they say all the fish are short. Money Island has been real good for George who has picked up stripers up to 25 pound the past couple weekends. He has been fishing all fresh bunker.
Well that is all I have time for this week. I hope I got a little more information out than last week. Good luck and I hope everyone enjoys this great holiday weekend. Good luck for all the flounder fisherman heading to the shore. Please let me know how well you make out. Been waiting for some more smallmouth reports from the local streams and rivers. So far report have been coming in slow.
Bill
FISHING REPORTS
5-26- Hit the Tohickon this morning looking for left over trout. Well did not find any trout but did real good catching smallmouth bass and rock bass. Fished different spinners for the trout to start catching the bass so I switched over to Rebel crankbaits and then it was one. I can't even tell you how many fish I did catch but it was way over 50 by the end of the day. Only had one big smallie about 3 pounds. Richy D.
5-23-Fishing Saturday down for sea bass was worth the trip out. I did not know how it was going to be after the long closure but the captian put us right on a werak and we caught all the sea bass we wanted. Now I was the only one on the boat that did not catch his limit but I still came home with 21 fish. Almost every fish was 2 pounds and were caught with clams. I seen a few guys stripping mackerel and they were catching bigger fish. Going to try that next time out.
5-22- Made my last trip out on the river today and ended the season with some good stripers. We went up and caught all the herring we wanted and moved back down to the Burlington Bristol Bridge and anchored up. We just lite up the stripers and almost all the fish were 25 inches up to 38 inches. We ened up catching 18 fish. We also put 21 catfish in the boat with all the eels you wanted. Will be down the shore for the holiday weekend and won't have the baot back up north till fall. Timmy
5-19-just wanted to show you guys a pic of a big smallmouth i caught up in fairless hills. i did not even know there were smallies in there but i guess this is proof.