Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report

Brinkmans Bait and Tackle
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday May 14, 2010

Another fantastic week on the Delaware River for myself and fishing partners. Tuesday we headed out a little late with frozen herring and bloodworms to catch a couple stripers and catfish. Next to us a good customer was just killing the stripers with fresh herring. He called us over and gave us 4 fresh baits and then the bite was on. We ended the day with 15 stripers and 6 catfish with several fish in the slot limit. That day our biggest fish was 29 inches. We also had a catfish that was over 12 pounds. Now Kenny who gave us the herring boated 30 stripers and lots of catfish. He had his 6 fish limit and was just throwing fish after fish back in the slot size. Nothing big. John was also out fishing with frozen herring catching 6 catfish before I even got out but then things slowed up for him. On Wednesday I took my nephew up to Trenton. The weather sucked but the herring bite was very good. It took us about a half hour to catch out limit. So back down river we came and anchored up in about the same spot to have one of the best days I have had in years. We ended the day with 40 stripers and about 15 catfish. The stripers were 12 to 27 inches. Most every fish were slot size fish. John was also out next to us and he had 15 stripers and lots of catfish. And I just talked to Kenny who is back out again today landing 3 stripers over 30 inches. He said the herring bite was still real good Thursday morning. Now if things stick to schedule we should have about 1 to 2 more weeks of herring fishing. Now talking to several other striper fisherman this was a great week for most everyone. One customer was above the Tacony Bridge on Tuesday catching 25 stripers up to 31 inches. He picked up these fish with bloodworms and herring. Frank has been down fishing below the Betsy Ross bridge with clams and herring catching over 100 fish this past week. Now he said one day you catch all slot fish with good numbers and the next day you only pick up 15 fish but get better fish. He said most of the biggest catfish have been coming on fresh clams. On Monday Lenny was up fish at the Turnpike bridge picking up 20 stripers with fish up to 29 inches. He picked up all these fish with fresh herring. Now several of the fisherman up at Trenton told me the fishing between the bridges has been fair with most guys catching between 5 and 8 fish a day with most fish 24 to 31 inches. Most all these fish are being picked up on live herring. Now Tom has been plugging before light and a couple hours after the sun comes up catching 3 to 5 fish each drift down the river. He has been catching most fish 20 to 30 inches. Last week he did have a couple fish over 36 inches. The best plugs have been black Bombers, striper swipers and pencil poppers. Off the beaches at Station Avenue they have been catching allot of stripers with chunk herring with most of the fish under 28 inches. But fishing live herring they have picked up fish this past week up to 30 pounds. The biggest was 38 inches 32 pounds. These guys have also been fishing Camer Drive with live herring catching fish up to 20 pounds. Off Rhawn Street they have been catching allot of stripers but here they have all been quite small. They guys have been using bloodworms and shrimp catching stripers up to 17 inches and catfish up to 5 pounds. Linden Avenue was real good for one fisherman on Monday catching 11 stripers 15 to 23 inches. He also caught 5 catfish up to 6 pounds. On Tuesday he did not have a bite. Wednesday he was back to catch 3 stripers and one catfish. All his fish were caught on herring and clams. All the guys down fishing around the airport have been doing very good with bloodworms, sandworms, clams and herring. The better places have been National Park, Fort Mifland and behind the UPS building. Now talking to a few guys that have fishing down below say there are allot of stripers but most of the fish have been under 28 inches. They have been doing best with bloodworms and clams. But down here they have been catching some of the biggest catfish in the area. A few tournament last week brought allot of catfish 10 to18 pounds. Most of these giant catfish are being caught with herring, chicken livers and live eels.
Other fishing on the Delaware river all have been very good. The largemouth bass fishing on the lower river has been picking up each week. Rick was down river two different days this past week catching up to 12 fish each trip. He is also picking up allot of catfish and even hook several stripers this past week. This week he said the crankbaits and rattle traps are still working well but jigging metal worked in some of the deeper water for bigger largemouth bass up to 4 pounds. This is where he also picked up the stripers and they were up to 8 pounds. Charlie and his son were out on Monday afternoon fishing in Dredge Harbor catching over 20 largemouth bass. He did his best with plastic worms but said most of the bass were under a pound. He also picked up several perch and crappies with the plastic worms. A few guys have been catching a few bass up in the Neshaminy Marina off the shoreline fishing with minnows, nightcrawlers and spinner baits. Up above Trenton the shad fishing has dropped off until you get up to the Water Gap and above. There are still a few guys fishing Yardley and Washington's Crossing with shad spoons catching 1 to 3 fish each afternoon. Now up at the Water Gap kevin has just been killing shad 3 to 6 pounds with small white and chartreuse shad darts in 1/64 ounce and 1/16 ounce sizes. He has also caught allot of fish with small shad spoons. The spoons have been working best while dead sticking while the darts are best for trolling. Now several guys have been doing as well at Narrowsburg, Callicoon, Long Eddy and Hancock. Now these places the bite has been strictly at night and they are not catching quite as many as down by the Gap. Smallmouth bass fishing has really started to pick up in the Lamberville section of the river. These guys have been fishing minnows drifting down the river. On average they have been catching 10 to 20 smallies each trip up with a walleye here and there. Some big catfish are also being picked up drifting minnows down the upper river. Charlie has been back to the Point Pleasant section several times this past week catching bass each trip. He said bait has been working better than lures but if you are going to throw artificial's spinners, spinner baits and grubs have been working the best for him. He said there are some really nice fat 14 to 17 inch bass being caught. Another customer was out fishing at Bull's Island last Saturday catching 5 smallmouth bass and a bunch of perch with live minnows.
Now next to the Delaware some good fishing has still been going on in the Pennypack Creek. Plenty of trout are still hitting around Welsh Road, Rhawn Street, Roosevelt Boulevard, Krewstown Road, Veree Road and Pine Road. These spots have been holding plenty of rainbow trout and most of the fish are being caught with earthworms, meal worms, wax worms, salted minnows, power baits, spinners and jigs. On average I would say most guys have been catching 2 to 8 fish per trip. Now a little further up the creek around Lemur Park they have been doing good with trout but are also catching allot of smallmouth bass, rock bass and big bluegills. Here they have been doing best with spinners, trout magnets and wax worms. Here they have been catching allot of trout over 14 inches. The Schuylkill River has picked up this past week above the Fairmount Dam. These guys I have talked to are fishing around Flat Rock Dam catching plenty of smallies, catfish and carp. They have been catching the bass and catfish with minnows with the carp hitting bread and corn the best. Further up the river Ron was fishing around Norristown catching some bass and bluegills with twister tails and spinners. He said the fishing has been great with most days out landing over 20 fish. His biggest smallmouth of the year was a 19 inch 3 pound fish. He has also caught a few big catfish 8 to 10 pounds with chicken and beef livers. He also has been back over to Roosevelt Lake looking for snakehead without any luck. He has picked up a few largemouth bass and crappies fishing plugs and spinner baits around the lake. Lots of reports back from Fairless Hills lake with most guys talking up crappies and bluegills hitting minnows, meal worms and earthworms around the shoreline. But Jim has still been doing very good on largemouth bass up to 4 pounds this past week. Another customer showed me a couple pictures of bass over 5 pound caught out of this lake over last weekend. He was fishing jigs in deep water. Noxamixion has still been very good for the few guys I have been talking to. John again picked up 17 largemouth bass on Saturday last weekend. He was back out on Sunday to get chased off by a thunder storm early in the morning. Before he left he had landed 4 bass. He said most of the bass he has been catching are 13 to 17 inches with his biggest last week at 19 1/2 inches. He has been picking up most of these fish with suspended crankbaits and jigging spinner baits along the ledges. Several guys fishing Penn Warner have been doing very good on big largemouth bass, pike and crappies. The crappies are being caught in the back with shiners, minnows and grubs. One customer told me that most of the fish he has been catching have been 12 to 16 inches. The pike are being caught with big minnows, shiners, golden shiners and gizzard shad. These guys have been fishing the largest baits under a bobber outside in up coming weed lines. And the largemouth bass have been hitting plastic worms, lizards, spinner baits, rattle traps, crankbaits and jigging spoons. The Neshaminy Creek has been picking up for smallmouth bass around the Tyler State Park and Playwicky Park areas. These guys have been fishing minnows and also throwing grubs, shallow crankbaits and torpedo's. And the Perkiomen has also picked up for smallmouth bass. Here they are now catching up to 50 fish a trip with a mix of bass, rock bass and bluegills. Minnows are still the best baits but they are also doing very good on Rebel crickhopper and crayfish, grubs, tubes, torpedo's and hellgrammite imitations. Up in the Poquessing they are still catching a few bass by the old pipe. This customer has been up throwing plastic worms and Rapala's to catch the 2 and 3 pound bass. He said they are up here spawning. I had a customer back from Springton Reservoir telling me that the bass fishing was off but did very good on perch and crappies. He went out looking for bass with lures but after several hours and only one fish he started to thrown small grubs under a float and landed 17 yellow perch and 9 crappies. He said all these were good size fish. The guys heading down to Union are still doing great on pickerel, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, yellow perch, bluegills and crappies. John himself has been targeting bass fishing with plastic worms, lizards, brush hogs and buzz baits. Now he has been catching 10 to 15 bass a trip with a mix of 10 to 20 pickerel each trip. He said no big bass this year but said the mix of smallies and largemouth has been good. A few guys were up trout fishing in Amwell Lake only catching largemouth bass and pickerel. They were fishing with small minnows, meal worms and power baits and only picked up the bass and pickerel with the minnows. They did throw allot of spinners but had no luck. The customer that goes to Spruce Run had a couple good days over the week catching some nice bass, crappies and even had one hybrid striper. He has been catching the bass and crappies with live minnows and landed the striper with a Zara Spook. Olympic lake off 130 was real good this past week for Rich who picked up a 5 pound largemouth bass with several other fish 2 to 4 pounds. He has also picked up allot of 18 inch pickerel with minnows. The last lake in Jersey was Mercer county lake. This lake has been producing some big largemouth bass fishing with big shiners, minnows and suckers. I seen a few pictures of bass over 6 pounds taken in the past couple weeks. A trout report from Jersey comes from the Pequest Creek up off Route 46. This customer picked up 4 rainbows and a small palomino trout last Saturday. He said most of the fish were hitting spinners, salted minnows and wax worms. He said there were other fisherman doing real good fishing dry flies. The Susquehanna flats have still been great for stripers. Now the season has closed so you are not suppose to target stripers even know several guys have still been heading down. They have been catching fish up to 40 pound the past month. Up in the Susquehanna River the smallmouth bass fishing has started to pick up for bigger fish. They have been doing best with spinner baits, Rapala shad raps, Zoom grubs, power grubs and tubes. Up at John's place they have been catching allot of bass 3 to 5 pounds along the island. He said they are getting ready to spawn and are full of row. Another customer was up turkey hunting getting his bird early so he headed down to the Susquehanna River and waded the shoreline with twister tails catching 20 smallmouth bass up to 16 inches. He said he had more fun doing that then the turkey hunting.
Some of the best saltwater reports are coming from north jersey for stripers and bluefish. Sandy Hook has been great for the beach fisherman catching both of these species. Russ has been up throwing plugs and also bait fishing with fresh clams. The stripers have been hitting metal diamond jigs and Deadly Dicks the best for lures and clams if you just want to bottom fish. The bluefish have been also hitting the metal but also have been caught with mullet and cut mackerel. Down off Long Beach Island John spent a couple nights out throwing black Bombers, poppers and shad catching 5 stripers. He said they have all been keepers but just keepers. The biggest was 29 3/4 inches. Now out in the boats they have been crushing the stripers with big spoons. They have been doing real good around the Shrewsbury Rocks catching stripers 15 to 40 pounds. Metal has been the answer and if you can find 5 and 7 ounce Krocodile spoons they are worth their weight in gold right now. Further down the coast there has been several guys catching smaller stripers in the Brick section. These guys have been out fishing the beaches with clams, eels and fresh herring. Most of these bass have been 8 to 15 pounds. Keith was out of Barnagate over the weekend catching 9 stripers, 16 blues and 2 monster flounder. He was drifting for bass with eels and bunker to catch all these fish. He said it really hurt to put back the flounder that were 24 and 27 inches. Both these fish were caught with live eels. Fred out of Sea Isle did well this week on inshore sea bass and blackfish. He fished some of his wreaks picking up the sea bass inside 2 miles then came back and hit the jetties for a limit of 2 to 4 pound blackfish. He said clams were working best for the sea bass with green crabs for blackfish. Alex has been fishing down in Virginia on a couple head boat catching some of the biggest blackfish around. Last week he said most of the fish were on the smaller side 8 to 13 pounds. But in past weeks they have brought in fish 14 to 18 pounds. Down at Cape May point I talked to a few guys that were out looking for drumfish off the beach but had no luck. They said there were a few weakfish taken with bucktails on the jetties but fishing big chunks of clams brought them no luck. But out in the bay the drum fishing is starting to pick up. Several guys were out during the week catching drumfish up to 40 pounds. Now it seems like the big fish have not gotten into the bay yet. They are also doing quite well on stripers at the rips and up the bay. Fishing with clams, bunker heads, chunk bunker, herring and eels has brought limits of 20 to 30 pound fish. Up in Massachusetts they have been catching some monster porgies on the head boats. These guys are just fishing top and bottom rigs with clams, squid and bloodworms. You need 5 to 10 ounces of lead to get down to these fish. And from time to time they do pick up a codfish mixed in.
Well that is all I have time for this week. Busy day is keeping me from typing any more. Hope everyone enjoys another great weekend coming up. Good luck and don't forget to get those reports in.
Bill
FISHING REPORTS
5-13-Only been able to get out every wed. due to work last two weeks went surf fishing in sea isle and Atlantic city. Scored nice in my usual spots in sea isle a bust in the stirred up waters last week in Atlantic city. This week (5-12-10) I wanted out on the river even tho one of my boys was going to sea isle. Sure glad I stayed home. Perfect striper conditions as far as I was concerned wed. got out right before outgoing great outing all the way through I had 9 herring half dozen clams 1 whole bunker and 7 live creek chubs and got creamed today left the river with 3 clams. 6 stripers total, one slot all the rest were 28" 29" 29" 30" 30"! Only had to move four times to get the fish. And I only moved when the eels started hitting thick. Also had about a dozen or more catfish later in the day with a whopper 39" catfish and thanks to the guy in the red boat I got the scale from he had a lil old hand held and it read somewhere around 16-17lbs I had to c it on
digital so I held it til I got to the trunk 22lbs 3oz (live creek chub) I couldn't wrap my hands around anypart of it's body except for the tail area hella fight like moving a damn car. Biggest of my life. Hope the weather nice next week. Tks for the herring guys.
5-12- Alloway Lake hold ome great bass fishing. Took the afternoon and went out throwing Berkely gulp worms and spinner baits. Now I'm still learning the lake but still hooked up 8 bass and landed 5. the big fish was 4 pounds with the rest about 2 pounds. One big fish run me into a tree and took my eight dollar spinner bait. Have to go back with waders another time to retreve it. A few other fisherman were around and all caught something. One picked up this big pike with a little tiny crappy jig. The fish had to be over 20 inches.
5-12- Raining most of the morning at Station Avenue but it did not hurt the stripers and catfish. Took herring out and landed 2 stripers 4 catfish. Nothing big but fun morning anyway. just starting to warm up now writing this note.
5-10- hey Bill the Big D is still holding strong. We hit the Byran area again and fished the minnows and nightcrawlers we bought from you. Landed 15 smallmouth bass, 2 walleyes and 8 catfish. We did try for shad for a little bit but they have seemed to headed north. Had one run off and missed the fish. Saw a couple up top jumping but that was it for shad. Will stick to smallmouth bass fishing from now on. Jack
5-8- Great day out on the Delaware again. I went up and caught all the herring we wanted and down to the turnpike brigde to striper fish. We fished chunked baits and also downrigged live herring. We caught 17 stripers from 21 inches all the way up to 39 inches. I weighted the big fish at 31 pounds. This fish was full of herring as you could see the impression of the fish in it's belly. We also caught 10 catfish all over 5 pounds.