Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Re: Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report

Friday March 16, 2007

Brinkmans

TROUT SEASON IN THE LOWER COUNTIES OPENS MARCH 31st. UPPER COUNTIES WILL OPEN APRIL 14th. BLOODWORMS ARE IN STOCK NOW!!

Well we got our first batch of bloodworms in last week and plenty of guys were out this past week with bloodworms, herring, clams and shrimp only to pick up one decent catfish. We weighed this catfish at 9 pounds. But for stripers nothing yet in this area. I did hear of one 29 inch fish taken at Trenton last weekend on a live minnow, walleye fishing. And the rest of the stripers I have heard of are smaller fish taken below the Commodore Barry Bridge and in the Salem power plant.
Now beside the catfish they are getting some walleyes in the upper river. Yardley, New Hope, Point Pleasant and Frenchtown have been a few of the better places to head. Now the river level has been coming up and down with the rains we have been having, but when the level is down or normal fishing with jigs, twister tails or live minnow on the bottom is the best way to catch these fish. Now there is a chance of picking up a smallmouth or striper but until the water warms up a bit I would not be looking for too many of these fish. And I had a couple of guys go over to Dredge Harbor this past week and pick up a few yellow perch and crappies in the back corner. They were using live minnows and hair jigs fishing along the pilings by the sail boat club. Not allot of fish but the few they caught were good size. I think with a couple more warm days you may find a few bass staring to hit back in Dredge Harbor, Tullytown Cove or any other harbors along the river. Now down in Salem the white perch are starting to show up in real good numbers with some fish a pound to a pound and a half. Most of these fish are being caught on bloodworms. Paul just gave me a call from the lower river picking up a 11 pound catfish fishing the bottom with cut bait.
With Core Creek and Levittown Lake still closed the lake fishing has been off quite a bit. But a few guys were up to the shopping center lake and picked up a few crappies and perch on live minnows and nightcrawlers. Magnolia Lake had a few largemouth bass caught with the nice weather this past week on live minnows and shallow crankbaits. Bu the guys that was up here told me that all the fish he caught were under 10 inches. A couple of guys were up to the Neshaminy Creek to find a few catfish and perch hitting up around Hulmeville Falls. They were looking for crappies or bass but were happy catching anything with the cold water. I was golfing the other day and saw a few suckers in the Poquessing creek. I was thinking of fishing for them later in the day but never made it. This was on the other side of Grant Avenue but I would think there may be more fish down around State Road. And even down there you may see a few largemouth bass start to show up just below the bridge. Fairless Hills Lake several guys were up over the weekend but not one had anything good to say. Penn Warner though has been very good for perch, crappies, bass and pike for several weeks now. If you are a member up there it is one of the best times of the year to fish. One last place I heard of any fishing in was up in Yardley the small lake in the center of town. This customer was up to fish the river and had no luck so he stopped off here and threw a line in and picked up a few small perch and bluegills. He was using nightcrawlers.
If you are looking for safe ice for fishing you will have to travel up to the Pocono's north. I had a couple of guys go up to Scholla last weekend to find 7 inches of safe ice. They did very well on pickerel, perch and bluegills. Another couple of guys were up to Miller Pond to have a fantastic day ice fishing for pickerel, perch, crappies and bluegills. They had over 8 inches of ice and between four guys they caught over 50 fish between the different species. Baits were wax worms, minnows, shiners and small jigs. And with the weather we are going to have this weekend I think you may have good ice up there for another week or so. I know Karl was still skiing on Tuesday this past week and talking to a few of the guys up at our place in Wayne county there is still plenty of snow and ice on the ground. Another customer was just in saying Lake Harmony has over 15 inches of ice and so does all the smaller lakes in the area. He is heading up for pickerel, perch, crappies and bass with minnows.
Now south Jersey is still one of the best places to head this time of the year. All the rivers, streams and lakes are good for perch, crappies, pickerel and bass. The sand pits have been really good for yellow perch and pickerel. They have been using minnows, twister tails and spinners to catch pickerel up to 20 inches and perch up to 14 inches. Lake Lenape one customer was down on Tuesday and picked up 2 largemouth bass 2 to 3 pounds, 7 pickerel and 4 good size crappies. Union Lake is another really good place to head for crappies, perch and pickerel. The couple of guys that were down there is past week were doing very good on the panfish along the dam trolling 3 and 4 inch twister tail. Fishing the shore line caught them the most pickerel and looking for some largemouth bass only landed them more pickerel. Atison Lake off of 206 had a couple of guys down fishing along the over flow. These guys picked up several pickerel 12 to 15 inches on minnows and spinners. They went up and tried the lake but did not have any luck. And several guys have been fishing at Mays Landing in the Little Egg Harbor River. These guys have been catching pickerel and yellow perch off the bulk head and up by the dam. Minnows, shiners, grass shrimp, nightcrawlers and twister tail have been working the best.
Saltwater action is coming slow but sure. The sea bass fishing off shore has still been the best with most guys out on the 12 to 18 hour trips picking up their limits of 4 to 7 pound sea bass. And from time to time they catch a cod or pollock and sometimes ling. The inshore guys are saying there are a few smaller sea bass hitting the jetties but most are under sized. But starting last weekend the stripers in the back bays in inlets are being picked up in pretty good numbers and some decent fish to boot. Now don't get me wrong you can fish for several hours with little to no success but when the fish move in you can have allot of fun. One customer was down behind Sea Isle catching 9 fish for several guys with 2 being over 28 inches. All were caught on clams. Now several guys were down fishing the surf but I did not hear one fish being caught there. But if you want to fish the beach the best has been Reed's Beach up in the Delaware Bay. Several guys have been fishing here doing pretty good on stripers with clams and bloodworms. One guy picked up his two fish limit in a couple of hours on Monday. One fish 28 inches and the other 34 inches 17 pounds. And the last thing I have been hearing down the shore is up the Mullica river for white perch. The guys are fishing Collins Cove or just outside the cove in the river. Most of these fish have been on the smaller side though.
Well that is all I have for you this week. I hope the weather is not as bad as they are talking about but it is March and we all know what that brings. But if you do get out good luck and please any reports are better than no reports.
Bill