Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Marsh Marauders Report

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  merrillizer 
#1 ·
Tons 'O fish in tha maaahsh. After probably the best May since 2003, the fishing is still consistant out in the skinny. Most are healthy schoolies, with an occassional 10-15 pounder thrown in. Havent "fished big" for a few weeks, so will be doing that this month during the flood tide again, hoping to duplicate the great incoming tides on last months flood tide. Will start hitting the Rock Bowls and rockbeds along the NH coast soon too. A report straight from my log....

June 13th/14th
Wanted to hit some shoreline spots in the evening, but the ominous clouds turned me off, not to mention the dead low tide 'round 7:30. Wasnt happenin'. Decided to wait it out, and headed out to tha Marshlands around 10pm. The tide was coming in good, and it wasnt long before the first fish was had. Fished for about 2 hours, hoping to score a decent fish considering the big moon, but ended up with 6 schoolies up to 20". As the moon rose over the main beach, it was BLOOD RED for about 45 minutes. I thought the silly Revelations was becoming reality. Scary shit. Thought there would be some christers and screamers out there, but with only 4 herring in the cooler, it made it hard to fish with big chunks. I decided to conserve bait and enjoy the nice weather before more pissy rain came. We left the fish biting, with the tide still roaring in. And ofcourse, it started to sprinkle just as we left.

The big moon horns me up!!!

th_sm19.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, just got back from the early AM incoming tide Marsh jaunt. All I gut to say is....

1.) Every piece of bait got slammed.

2.) Lost count at 10 fish.

3.) Landed the smallest baby Striper I think I have ever seen in real life.

4.) Lost my favorite rod/reel....my sacred "utility" setup. Yup. Threw 1/3 of a big herring out (head end) on a 7/0 circle, and I walked about 25 feet away after I set the rod in my makeshift rod holder between the granite blocks. Next thing we hear is the drag screaming...I look back and the tip of my 7' medium rod is bent down so far its only 2 feet from touching the slab. Layed right over. Only the good fish do this stunt. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzz the drag went. So I jog over, and as if it were in slow motion.....the fish stops and I see the rod fly violently back and then forward again as the fish starts another run. The recoil from it popped the rod right out tha makeshift holder again. It was 1 foot from my hand, and I watched it pop up and out in one feel swoop. It landed in the water, and I could've jumped in and got it, but it was 3 or 4 feet down and I didnt have enough time to take my cell phone out of my pocket th_icon_loll.gif So there went the first real "Drag Screamer" of the year for me. Along with my favorite rod that I had spent $125 dollars on customizing with custom guides, wrap, and corp tape grip. Bye-bye. Gizzy-gone. The only fish that suck bait up that quick and peel drag like that are 20# pounds. So I'll pout knowing I got GOT by a decent fish. I managed to retrieve the same setup after being pulled in by a decent fish before, but this time the Striper Gods were not so forgiving. This fish was a different animal. Luckily I had 2 witnesses.......and unluckily I had the same 2 people to rib on me about the rod flying into the air and smacking the water. such ashame, cuz fish that lay over a rod and scream like this only come along so often out in this spot. I paid tha Piper. "There goes that!" - Merrill.

5.) Pissed off and distraught, I picked up the only other setup I had with me, a 7' Light tackle setup, and just drifted bait until the incoming died. Fought and landed a 35" (didnt weigh it, and didnt keep it). felt like a 25 pounder on the light tackle rod. Luckily I didnt kill it with the long battle. Then i missed about 6 fish after that until the tide died. Then we left.

6.) The incoming has been spectacular in the skinny water. Granted, no 50's th_icon_loll.gif , but some damn good goddamn fishing. Best May and June I can remember since 2003.

I feel terrible that there is a decent class fish swimming around with my setup in tow. But there was nothing I could do. I got it back once.....cant expect to get it back twice. hopefully the fish will be able to cut off the line on something and live for someone else to battle.....I never got to fight it.

I was going to retire that reel after this season, and hook tha custom rod up with another new reel :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

My friend Chris said it best after seeing the violence this fish exuded....."Well, the reel is officially retired now." :lol: :lol:

I got GOT. Had. Twunt. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

#5 ·
th_sm19.gif Yesah, I hope he got loose from it. There was no "pecking" the bait on that one. Pick it up, he was hung on the circle hook, and he took off to tha races.

I already had a nightmare about it during my nap today. All I can hear is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz of my drag.

Violent fish. Thats the only word I can use to describe the way that rod was slammed over and jerking around, up N down. Total violence.

There is some decent fish out there under the moon. I called Pete at the bait shop to tell him what happened, in case anyone at the boat club snag my setup out tha water lol, and he said a few of his buddies lost a few screamers 2 days ago......snapped the line after several minutes of fighting.

I am going back out tonight. I want my vindication and redemption.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.